Windows 10: Where are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ?

Discus and support Where are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When creating restore points where are they located on the dik? Can I back them up to a removable drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PeterH_931, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Where are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ?

When creating restore points where are they located on the dik?

Can I back them up to a removable drive?

:)

PeterH_931, Apr 3, 2021
  2. Roan T Win User

the restore point

Hi Alvaro,

You can save the state of the operating system and your own files by
    creating a restore point, so that if future changes cause a problem, you can
    return them
    to previous versions and settings.

We suggest that you check the article below and follow the
    guidelines and steps under Restore from a system restore point.

Recovery options in Windows 10

Feel free to contact us if you need further help.

Roan T, Apr 3, 2021
  3. jellyroll Win User
    How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CWhere are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ? :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CWhere are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ? :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Apr 3, 2021
  4. Where are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ?

Win 10 Anniversary Restore Point Puzzle

I believe in restore points. They have saved my hash on several occasions.

I believe in them so much that I run a script every day to create one.

This script relies on what appears to be a VBS function "createrestorepoint" applied to a VBS object of type "winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore".

This worked fine before the Anniversary edition was installed over the prior Win 10.

The problem is this: when invoked, it runs all right, and takes some time (as it should), and the function returns a "success" flag which produces a very nice MsgBox reporting success, but the System Restore button on the System Properties System Protection
    tab does not show the restore point as existing.

When I create a restore point using the Create button on the System Properties System Protection tab to create a restore point, System Restore /does/ list the restore point.

Note that System Restore lists the restore points available when you select the "Choose a different restore point" and then select "Next".

Using the Configure button on the System Properties System Protection tab, shows this values for "Current Usage":

2.06 before any attempt

2.12 after the /manual/ attempt

2.19 after the /scripted/ attempt -- which followed the manual attempt immediately

So I think what is happening is that the script is, indeed, creating a System Restore point, but System Restore cannot see it. Of course, I am simply describing what I am looking at, and what is really happening could be quite different.

Indeed, the Current Usage is showing 2.32, but I have made no further attempts and no additional System Restore points are listed. So something else is also affecting this value.

My question, of course, is: how do I get System Restore to recognize the script-created restore points?

PaulPerson, Apr 3, 2021
Thema:

Where are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ?

1. Where are restore points saved - Win 10 Pro ? - Similar Threads - Where are restore

2. Restore point - Are downloaded files saved?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore point - Are downloaded files saved?: Downloaded files count as personal files right? Like documents, pictures, etc. and won't be removed? I don't mean games that are put into directories, just downloaded files in general. Will they be kept?...
  3. Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10?: System Restore Points contains the necessary information needed to restore your system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and generated when you create a restore point manually. In this post,...
  4. Restore Points Win 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points Win 10 Pro.: My fairly high spec PC was updated to Win 10 Pro last Fe and has performed really well. However a few days ago it started running slowly and lagging/freezing quite badly. It seemed to follow a Windows 10 update so I rolled back to the middle of Dec around about 20th which...
  5. Saving manual restore points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Saving manual restore points: Hi i sometimes create a manual restore point, before I make certain changes, is there any way to save these or prevent them being deleted ? Thanks 168890
  6. Created Restore Point where saved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Created Restore Point where saved: Created a restore point but now unable to locate it in the computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/created-restore-point-where-saved/efe3081a-8cfa-44a9-973f-cf2b3350fc07
  7. Restore or Save Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore or Save Point: Please note my System Protection is turned on. My questions are as follows: 1. When Windows 10 updates, does Windows 10 automatically create a new system restore point prior to its update? 2. If I were to manually create a new restore point now, do I click on the Create...
  8. where are restore points in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    where are restore points in Windows 10: where are restore points in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-restore-points-in-windows-10/da0460bd-2f28-471b-ac92-172b72202c67
  9. Where is the Restore Point located?

Where is the Restore Point located?: I have created a Restore Point that I titled Restore Point - Oct 2 2017 on my W10 system and would to know where I can find it / where it's located on my computer so that I can delete it when I create new Restore Points? Thank you Bob 94749
  10. Where are System Restore Points...

Where are System Restore Points...: ...stored on my computer; the physical location (folder)? Thanks! 18352