Windows 10: Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10?

Discus and support Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; System Restore Points contains the necessary information needed to restore your system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 13, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10?

System Restore Points contains the necessary information needed to restore your system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and generated when you create a restore point manually. In this post, we look at where system restore points are stored on a Windows 10 device, and how you can view these restore points.

Where are System Restore Points stored?

Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? System-Volume-Information-400x333.jpg

Restore points are stored in the hidden protected OS System Volume Information folder in the root directory of each drive you have system protection turned on.

This folder is invisible and inaccessible to all users without making a few configuration changes from an Administrator account.

How to view Restore Points in Windows 10?

We can view restore points in Windows 10 in 3 quick and easy ways. We’ll explore this under the methods outlined below in this section.

1] Via System Restore GUI

Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? View-System-Restore-Points-System-Restore-GUI.jpg

To view restore points via the System Restore GUI in Windows 10, do the following:

• Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
    • In the Run dialog box, type rstrui and hit Enter to open System Restore.
    • On the System Restore window that opens, click/tap on Next.
    • All current restore points will now be listed with a Date and Time created, Description, and Type of restore point for each.
    • You can check the Show more restore points box (if available) at the bottom left corner to see any older restore points (if available) not currently listed. You can also click/tap on the Scan for affected programs button to see which installed programs will be affected by the currently selected restore point.
    • Once you’re done reviewing your restore points, you can exit System Restore window.
    2] Via Command Prompt

Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? View-System-Restore-Points-Command-Prompt.jpg

To view restore points via Command Prompt in Windows 10, do the following:

• Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
    • In the Run dialog box, type cmd and then press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to open Command Prompt in admin/elevated mode.
    • In the command prompt window, type any of the commands below and hit Enter for what you want to view. Substitute <drive letter> placeholder in the command with the actual drive letter (ex: “C”) of the drive that has saved restore points on you want to see a list of.

Note: The output of any of the commands will list all shadow copies (restore points) on all or specific drives. You will see the volume drive letter and shadow copy ID number for each one.

• To view all available restore points for all drives, run the command below:

vssadmin list shadows
    • To list all available restore points for all drives to a text file on desktop, run the command below:

vssadmin list shadows >"%userprofile%\Desktop\Restore Points.txt"

• To list all available restore points for a specific drive, run the command below:

vssadmin list shadows /For=<drive letter>:
    • To list all available restore points for the specific drive to a text file on the desktop, run the command below:

vssadmin list shadows /For=<drive letter>: >"%userprofile%\Desktop\Restore Points.txt"
    • Exit CMD prompt when done reviewing.
    2] Via PowerShell

Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? View-System-Restore-Points-PowerShell.jpg

To view restore points via PowerShell in Windows 10, do the following:

• Press Windows key + X to open Power User Menu.
    • Tap A on the keyboard to launch PowerShell in admin/elevated mode.
    • In the PowerShell console, type or copy and paste any of the command below and hit Enter for what you want to view.
    • To list all available restore points for all drives, run the command below:

Get-ComputerRestorePoint | Format-Table -AutoSize
    • To list all available restore points for all drives to text file on desktop, run the command below:

Get-ComputerRestorePoint | Format-Table -AutoSize | Out-File -filepath "$Env:userprofile\Desktop\Restore Points.txt"
    • To list all available restore points for all drives with more details, run the command below:

Get-ComputerRestorePoint | Format-List
    • To list all available restore points for all drives with more details to text file on desktop, run the command below:

Get-ComputerRestorePoint | Format-List | Out-File -filepath "$Env:userprofile\Desktop\Restore Points.txt"
    • Exit PowerShell when done reviewing.

That’s it!

Related post: How to use ShadowExplorer to access & restore Shadow Copies.

Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? View-System-Restore-Points-Command-Prompt.jpg
    This article Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 13, 2021
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CWhere are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CWhere are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, May 13, 2021
  3. losing restore points in vista

well i found out wich program was eraseing my restore points it was acronis true image 10 so i disabled system restore becouse i rether use ati any way

skellattarr, May 13, 2021
  4. graye Win User

Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10?

System Restore is on But No Restore Points

Merely enabling the System Restore feature won't create a restore point. In older version of Windows, there was a scheduled task that periodically did a restore point.... but the schedule isn't configurable in Windows 10

So, Restore Points are created when:

• You manually create them
    • You do an install or uninstall of a software package
    • You get an update from Microsoft
    • Periodically... but you can't choose when

Here is an example of my Restore Points (notice that "Show more restore points" is checked):

Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? d8d0c44f-3235-43b7-8fa9-7334af8689a2?upload=true.png

graye, May 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Where are System

2. How to restore system if there is no restore point?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore system if there is no restore point?: I had to use ProctorU for my college to take a test, and when I got in my headphones wouldn't let them hear me and they kept acting like there was nothing to fix it and they were being impatient. I did not know what the problem was because I am not tech savvy. Anyways, the...
  3. How to restore system if there is no restore point?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore system if there is no restore point?: I had to use ProctorU for my college to take a test, and when I got in my headphones wouldn't let them hear me and they kept acting like there was nothing to fix it and they were being impatient. I did not know what the problem was because I am not tech savvy. Anyways, the...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  5. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  6. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. System Restore Point

System Restore Point: When I tried to use a restore to a system restore point. Windows asked for a password. I tried every password I knew, including local and microsoft account. I even tried to reintall windows and reset it. None worked, what can I do?...
  8. where are restore points in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    where are restore points in Windows 10: where are restore points in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-restore-points-in-windows-10/da0460bd-2f28-471b-ac92-172b72202c67
  9. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...
  10. Where are System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Where are System Restore Points...: ...stored on my computer; the physical location (folder)? Thanks! 18352