Windows 10: Where are the codecs stored for image files

Discus and support Where are the codecs stored for image files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since Windows 7 support ended on January 14th I've upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I've got a lot of image files - JPEG, TIFF, Photoshop and Nikon raw... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gromit44, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Gromit44 Win User

Where are the codecs stored for image files

Since Windows 7 support ended on January 14th I've upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

I've got a lot of image files - JPEG, TIFF, Photoshop and Nikon raw files (file extension .NEF).

My camera shoots both JPEG and NEF at the same time - so there are two files for every shot. To keep things simple they're arranged side by side in File Explorer (or Windows Explorer on Windows 7).

My default programme for editing NEF files is Nikon Capture NX2, so this is the icon for a NEF file:

Where are the codecs stored for image files [​IMG]

The problem is that Windows 10 appears to have installed a NEF codec, so it shows a thumbnail image instead of the NEF/NX2 icon. How can I stop it showing the thumbnail for NEF files but still show the thumbnail for JPEG files, like this:

Where are the codecs stored for image files [​IMG]

(Above: the thumbnails are JPEGS)

Thanks in advance.

*Smile

:)

Gromit44, Jan 23, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Jan 23, 2020
  3. Aquinus Win User
    Increase image file upload size cap

Okay, first off, people need to learn to calm down. That includes the OP and everyone replying. I would consider this a very legitimate concern he raises and I'll explain why and what I would suggest to fix it to address all the concerns brought up.

I see three sides to this.
    • OneMoar wants to upload bigger files. Generally speaking, most users are lazy so this is a valid concern from a usability standpoint. While I do believe there should be an upload limit, there should be a separate storage limit.
    • Concern with bandwidth: I suspect that uploading images is a relatively small amount of bandwidth and that serving up said images is much more costly. So that would put emphasis on getting not putting if bandwidth is a concern.
    • Storage, a very real concern because a lot of images adds up quickly which adds a need to efficiently store said images.
    So my suggestion (assuming W1zz wanted to do this out of kindness of his heart,) is this:
    • Increase upload limit to 10-20MB max.
    • Institute a storage limit of 2-5MB max.
    • Use PHP's GD library to convert uploaded images to JPEG or PNG.
      • PNGs tend to look nicer than JPEGs, but use more space. Probably preferable for smaller images or images requiring transparency.
      • JPEG tends to be very flexible when it comes to quality and the amount of compression. PHP's GD lib gives you control over this.
    So long as the image is uploaded in a format GD can read which includes most commonly used formats, it may not be unrealistic to re-store it in a different format. It's also not unrealistic to use GD to scale the image as well.

I've used GD before and it's relatively easy to use and is relatively quick with respect to performance. I would be willing to write up some examples with respect to how to do it if it were welcomed.

Side note: I see a watermark, GD might be getting used already so this might not be a stretch if the CPU cycles are there to spare.

Aquinus, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Where are the codecs stored for image files

[HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

Where are the codecs stored for image files

1. Where are the codecs stored for image files - Similar Threads - Where are codecs

2. Where are photo app images stored?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are photo app images stored?: Seems like, for me, it is difficult to find where the photo app stores images. I know there is a Pictures folder, but I often can't seem to find photos in that folder or its sub-folders. File info for photos is blank. I look at OneDrive and locally on my Surface but shouldn't...
  3. Where are photo app images stored?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where are photo app images stored?: Seems like, for me, it is difficult to find where the photo app stores images. I know there is a Pictures folder, but I often can't seem to find photos in that folder or its sub-folders. File info for photos is blank. I look at OneDrive and locally on my Surface but shouldn't...
  4. Where are my files stored that were stored on "This PC"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are my files stored that were stored on "This PC": Hello!My computer broke down and I cannot turn it on anymore. I was able to do a backup of my files from local disk drive [C], however I lost all the files that were saved under "This PC" ... They were also not stored in "ONE Drive". So I wonder where are they stored and how...
  5. Where are my files stored that were stored on "This PC"

Where are my files stored that were stored on "This PC": Hello!My computer broke down and I cannot turn it on anymore. I was able to do a backup of my files from local disk drive [C], however I lost all the files that were saved under "This PC" ... They were also not stored in "ONE Drive". So I wonder where are they stored and how...
  6. Where to store .exe files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where to store .exe files?: New to windows. When you download a small program that is just an .exe file and no installer, where do you put it? submitted by /u/rkruegs123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l6keea/where_to_store_exe_files/
  7. Change where files are stored to

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change where files are stored to: Under Settings/Storage, I read that it is possible to change where files, such as documents, downloads, and pictures, are stored. But the drop-down menu next to each item doesn't give me an option to change the location. Can I change the storage settings to OneDrive or an...
  8. Where are whiteboard files stored?

Where are whiteboard files stored?: In fact, are they stored.....? Can't find a file anywhere with them so if my computer crashes I lose them all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-whiteboard-files-stored/5147e05a-cf4a-4bfb-be84-68e65b375d57
  9. Where is EXIF data stored in an image file?

Where is EXIF data stored in an image file?: Hello, There is often metadata stored with image files that are produced by digital cameras, things like camera model, GPS information, aperture size, whether the flash was on, etc. Where is this info stored? Is it in a header at the front of the file or a footer at the...
  10. Where GWX Files Are Stored

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where GWX Files Are Stored: For anyone interested where all the GWX files(with types) & folders are, I've made a screenshot after using UltraSearch on my Windows 8.1 PC. To see it better just click the image a second time to make it even larger. For even more info just use process explorer. Attachment...