Windows 10: Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10?

Discus and support Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am struggling to find the where is the position of desktop items stored folders, files, shortcuts. So far I have read on forums that its stored in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mátyás Csiszár, May 5, 2024.

1. Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10?

I am struggling to find the where is the position of desktop items stored folders, files, shortcuts. So far I have read on forums that its stored in the registry on the "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop" route with the name ItemPos<your_resolution>, but I have not found such a thing. Some people say its outdated because on Windows 10 its got a new name, IconLayouts. I have found the IconLayouts, but I cannot figure out how to manipulate it and which hexadecimal data is associated with the desktop items positions. Maybe because it is the wrong file I dont know. So

:)

Mátyás Csiszár, May 5, 2024
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows Store 10 cents deals

Change your region for Windows Store

95Viper, May 5, 2024
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Saving custom desktop icon positions

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

In order to assist you better, I would like to know the following queries:

What happens when you customize your Desktop icons?

How long does it retains it positions? Does it change on restart?

I suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try the steps and check if it helps.

• Right-click on the desktop and click on View.
    • Uncheck the option Align icons to grid.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to boot the computer to
    Safe Mode
    and check if the issue occurs or not. If the issue does not occur in
    Safe mode, set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:

I would suggest you to refer the article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode perform a
    clean boot
    and check.

Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any
    third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

Please refer the steps given in the link below to perform a Clean Boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, May 5, 2024
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10?

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, May 5, 2024
Thema:

Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10?

1. Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Where are positions

2. Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10?: I am struggling to find the where is the position of desktop items stored folders, files, shortcuts. So far I have read on forums that its stored in the registry on the "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop" route with the name ItemPos<your_resolution>, but I...
  3. Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where are the positions of desktop items stored in Windows 10?: I am struggling to find the where is the position of desktop items stored folders, files, shortcuts. So far I have read on forums that its stored in the registry on the "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop" route with the name ItemPos<your_resolution>, but I...
  4. Desktop items Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop items Windows 10!: Good morning, I have been doing my usual maintenance this morning and have forgot how to do something! I have removed a lot of my items from my desktop screen but how do I put some of them back? It is easy unpinning live tiles and putting them back but not so on the desk top...
  5. Desktop items Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop items Windows 10!: Good morning, I have been doing my usual maintenance this morning and have forgot how to do something! I have removed a lot of my items from my desktop screen but how do I put some of them back? It is easy unpinning live tiles and putting them back but not so on the desk top...
  6. Desktop items Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Where ELSE are Start Menu items stored?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where ELSE are Start Menu items stored?: I know about %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, but where else are Start menu items stored? For example, I want to aggregate all of the Office stuff into a single folder, but none if it is present in either of these two...
  8. Windows 10 Desktop items not on Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Desktop items not on Desktop: So there seems to be some odd discrepancy where items are actually located in Windows 10. For example, when I navigate to 'Desktop' in Windows Explorer I see that there are many items that are not actually on the desktop which include: This PC, Libraries, Network, Control...
  9. Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10?: The Windows 10 operating system comes with a set of wallpapers and the ability to refresh wallpapers regularly from a pool of images. The following guide provides users of Windows 10 with instructions on finding these wallpapers on the local system. Let's say you want to use...
  10. Windows 10 won't leave desktop items where I put them

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 won't leave desktop items where I put them: I want some icons and Word documents on the right side of my desktop, yet Windows 10 keeps moving them and it's really frustrating. I want them where I want them. I was told to make one change in the registry, ( I can't remember now exactly what it was) , but that didn't...