Windows 10: Where cam I download a stock Windows 10 image to copy permissions from to fix my system files

Discus and support Where cam I download a stock Windows 10 image to copy permissions from to fix my system files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to fix some messed up permissions on my c drive that are breaking a few things, im currently using the image in the iso from Microsoft to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nicholasjosey, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Where cam I download a stock Windows 10 image to copy permissions from to fix my system files

I'm trying to fix some messed up permissions on my c drive that are breaking a few things,

im currently using the image in the iso from Microsoft to copy the permissions from their onto my c drive but the image from the iso installer is missing a few folders that I need to fix the permissions for

So I'm wondering where I can download an image that contains the folders you would have after a fresh install of Windows so I can copy the permissions from there

Last resort is creating a win 10 vm and creating a wim image from that to copy the permissions from or creating a wim image of another pc with Windows 10 installed

Also I would rather not do a fresh install because it's only some fioe and folder permissions that are broken

Edit: I'll be copying permissions using icalcs by first backing up permissions from the fresh windows image and then applying the backed up permissions to the folders and files with broken permissions

submitted by /u/nicholasjosey
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nicholasjosey, Jul 29, 2020
  2. cdawall Win User

Windows 10 permissions...

Ok so I feel officially dumb I am trying to copy my steam library to my NAS. Both are on windows 10 pro and both have full control in the file manager. Neither windows nor fast copy will allow me to copy, both list a permissions error? This was never an issue with windows 7...so first off thank you microsoft god forbid I want to back up my data, second off what the heck do I need to do to make this work. All I could fine online was to set full control and that obviously didn't help.

Also robocopy doesn't apparently work with network locations?

cdawall, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Kursah Win User
    Download Windows 10 TH/RS

*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

Dude, please stop bashing things you don't fully understand.

SFC is the first step, System File Checker. That can fix many issues using various flags and knowing the context, and is a first step when there is doubt about system integrity. This is a simple utility and using SFC /Scannow will be the most commonly used flagged command for initial repair diagnostics. Takes a few minutes and is worth doing to resolve issues. While it can repair many issues, there's also many it cannot. That's where the next step comes in should you need it.

DISM, or Deployment Image Servicing and Management, is the big gorilla in Windows OSes for repairs and image management. It has a wide variety of uses from image capture and deploy to repair.

The common command for DISM was DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth,

Just running this can result in a system being repaired, but since the launch of Windows 10, the image check has become more complicated, requiring you have the Install.WIM file available for the OS version you're trying to repair. This is relatively, though with Microsoft's deployment of Windows 10, most ISO's you get from them have an Install.ESD that must be converted to a .WIM file. Pretty easy to do with a command in CLI or Powershell.

I typed up an article about this in the past...I'll go ahead and share it here for a series of steps a person could take to repair OS corruptions in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. It's not hard to do, but takes some attention to detail, being able to handle command line (which is easy), and a little patience.

I've personally fixed/repaired dozens if not hundreds of systems with these utilities, because simply... THEY WORK. How do I know? Because I'm a systems and network professional that has to manage 100s of Windows PCs ranging from XP to 10, and where we can use these utilities to repair corruption, we save a ton of time. My technicians, bench guys and engineers all know and use the hell out of these utilities.

I find it hard to accept your statement above as something acceptable to even say here, it clearly shows your lack of experience with using the repair utilities SFC and DISM correctly or looking into what the failures were and how to fix them appropriately. Nor is that kind of crap even what TPU is or has ever really been about, and being such a long time member I would have expected you know that...though you've always been that way so maybe it's just habitual...surely not helpful to anyone else participating in this thread, or even yourself.

The OS is literally telling you what is wrong and where it's keeping the information so you can look into it further, that's not whining, that's stating facts. Nice try though. If you don't want to learn how to fix OS corruption, don't blame the OS or tools, blame yourself and shut up about it, and don't bitch about the OS utilities whining...LOL, because in reality wouldn't your bitching mean you're whining??? *Slap :slap:

So knock that shit off and let's fix the issues instead k? *Wink Where cam I download a stock Windows 10 image to copy permissions from to fix my system files ;)

Kursah, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Where cam I download a stock Windows 10 image to copy permissions from to fix my system files

Recover Folders of Files from System Image?

Yes.

Probably not in this case. For a user folder if you take ownership you should already have full control. Check the Security tab in Properties once you have taken ownership. The tutorial covers all possible cases such as the registry and the system folders where the permissions can be more complex.

Edit: I've just tested this on an image from another PC. Yes, you do have to change permissions after taking ownership, but it's not difficult. All you have to do after taking ownership is add your account to the list of 'Group or User names' on the Properties - Security tab.

Thema:

Where cam I download a stock Windows 10 image to copy permissions from to fix my system files

1. Where cam I download a stock Windows 10 image to copy permissions from to fix my system files - Similar Threads - Where cam download

2. STOCK IMAGES ON POWERPOINT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    STOCK IMAGES ON POWERPOINT: help me plz i need help your stok images are horrible i searched up nude lady because my teacher told my to do a report on them but nothing showed up when was they last time you updated it 1990...
  3. STOCK IMAGES ON POWERPOINT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    STOCK IMAGES ON POWERPOINT: help me plz i need help your stok images are horrible i searched up nude lady because my teacher told my to do a report on them but nothing showed up when was they last time you updated it 1990...
  4. System image: is it possible to copy it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System image: is it possible to copy it?: Hi all,upon switching on for the first time my new pc, Windows 10 pro, I created a system image on an external HD: it took 65GB.After this I made various installations, etc. Now knowing that HDs fail I wonder if there is a way to copy the image to another HD or better to use...
  5. Windows update removed the stock images on my home screen. What is the fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update removed the stock images on my home screen. What is the fix?: I quite liked the rotating stock images when I started up my PC, but recently it only displays the standard blue one. How do I return to these images?...
  6. Windows update removed the stock images on my home screen. What is the fix?

Windows update removed the stock images on my home screen. What is the fix?: I quite liked the rotating stock images when I started up my PC, but recently it only displays the standard blue one. How do I return to these images?...
  7. Where are stocked preview files ?

Where are stocked preview files ?: Hello !I would like to know where is the preview icon in the windows files that appears? Because I have some of my own code in a file that has disappeared from the .txt document but not from the preview Thanks in advance!...
  8. Where are stocked preview files ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where are stocked preview files ?: Hello !I would like to know where is the preview icon in the windows files that appears? Because I have some of my own code in a file that has disappeared from the .txt document but not from the preview Thanks in advance!...
  9. Where are stocked preview files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. deleted images from web cam

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    deleted images from web cam: my ex stole my web cam said she had then all of a sudden couldn't find finally she all of a sudden found it but says she wasn't up to anything shady I want to see what was deleted....