Windows 10: Where can bugs in builds be reported?

Discus and support Where can bugs in builds be reported? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Other than the built in feedback app - because it has a bug for me on build 10166 and is just a blue windows with a logo that doesn't provide any means... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Delicieuxz, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Where can bugs in builds be reported?

Other than the built in feedback app - because it has a bug for me on build 10166 and is just a blue windows with a logo that doesn't provide any means to do anything with it.

On build 10166, I'm finding there to be many bugs. Some of them are:

- When my PC goes into hibernation, it automatically re-awakens at random intervals, from 30 seconds up to 30 minutes later

- The horizontal / vertical / diagonal windows resize cursors that appear when targeting the corners of windows are often misaligned in many cases, meaning I have to target background space, or a bit higher, or a bit lower, to grasp the window as desired and resize it

- sometimes after changing a setting, the start menu won't reappear when clicked on for a long while

- a certain custom theme isn't loading for me, despite working for others, and attempting to load it crashes any instances of File Explorer which I have open. If others want to try loading that theme, it's here: Vista Themes for Windows 10 by sagorpirbd on DeviantArt

- changing program defaults for web browser doesn't work, and everything keeps launching in Edge

- changing program defaults for media doesn't work

I presume the last two issues could be by design of MS to test Edge and their media player (which is visually dull, and slow), but there's nothing directly indicating that.

:)

Delicieuxz, Jul 11, 2015

2. Can custom builds be upgraded to windows 10?

Yes, you can.

Windows 10 will be free for the first year to all Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Phone 8.1 users. This means, as long you upgrade within the first 12 months (July 29th 2015 to July 29th 2016), you will not have to pay for Windows 10 at all.

Where can bugs in builds be reported? [​IMG]

Wow, thats cool, but does that mean, I will have to pay for Windows 10 after the first year?

No. Its a promotion to get as many users to upgrade their existing Windows 7 PCs and Windows 8.1 devices to Windows 10.
    Once you upgrade within the first year for free, its yours forever at no additional cost. As Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Terry Myerson described it:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device
    at no additional charge.

Source:
    http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

I heard Microsoft representatives mention they are moving to a servicing model for Windows 10, does that mean Windows 10 is going to require a subscription?

No, Windows 10 remains a perpetual license, which means, you can upgrade to Windows 10 and use it forever without it expiring or going into any reduced functional mode.

Are you saying there will be no more versions of Windows after Windows 10?

Microsoft is moving Windows to a servicing model with Windows 10. The days of major revisions or what are called big bang releases are no more. As Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Terry Myerson described it:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device
    – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service
    – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking "What version are you on?" will cease to make sense
    – which is great news for our Windows developers.

Source: The next generation of Windows: Windows 10 - Windows Experience Blog

Why is Windows 10 free, is there some catch?

No, its not a catch. We are computing in different times. Windows 10 is free so app developers can standardize on one platform and reduce the fragmented market of different versions and editions of Windows that have been an issue in the past. When everybody
    is on the same platform, it means better quality apps, a healthier ecosystem and more advances in hardware and software innovation.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 11, 2015
  3. n_cool Win User
    Can custom builds be upgraded to windows 10?

It is a custom built Windows 7 32 bit system that has very high end components.

n_cool, Jul 11, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Where can bugs in builds be reported?

Most of these aren't bugs, they're either 3rd party driver issues, or they're misunderstandings on your part.

This is typically driver related. If you're not using entirely Windows 10 drivers, that may be the problem. You can always go into the drive properties and turn off the ability for drivers to wake the computer.

I really don't know what you mean by this. However, it sounds like a video driver related issue.

Start menu still has some issues, so this may well be a bug.

I highly doubt MS is going to support Vista themes in 10.

This has been posted several times, and is included In the Windows 10 blog. Programs can no long set heir own defaults. You have to do it manually, in Settings->System->Default Apps. This is the only supported way to change defaults now.

Mystere, Jul 12, 2015
  5. I really don't know what you mean by this. However, it sounds like a video driver related issue. If you tried to click the X button to close an app, but clicking the X button didn't do anything, and you actually had to click the empty screen space beside the X button to get the program to close, that would like what this problem is - except this problem relates to window resize zones arbitrarily not lining up with their proper placements. Not by a huge amount, but noticeable.

I highly doubt MS is going to support Vista themes in 10. It's a Windows 10 theme. The concept of the theme is that it makes Windows 10 look like Windows Vista.

I hope that's only temporary during the preview builds. It would otherwise not make much sense.

Delicieuxz, Jul 12, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Again, that sounds like a driver problem. I've not seen this on any builds, and i'm running it on a number of machines.

Again, I don't think Microsoft is going to support anything like that. Those themes require hacking dll's on your system. MS is not going to support that.

[/QUOTE]

No, it's permanent. It makes complete sense. It prevents malware from hijacking the defaults of things. Like many pieces of security, you sometimes have to do a little extra because of it.

Mystere, Jul 12, 2015
  7. I don't think that it's a driver issue, as a display driver renders the visual output, but it doesn't determine such things as trigger zones. It is subtle, inconsistent in appearance, and arbitrary in its severity, but it is there frequently enough, and the trigger zones can even suddenly change while I'm playing around with it, hovering the mouse back and forth over the zones. Maybe it wouldn't be there if I did a clean installation, rather than this direct upgrade from Windows 7.

It's a theme that is working for many other people. However, the theme does require UxStyle to be installed first. I'll wait for a future build, or the final release of Win10, and try it again.

Well I'm sure, or at least I hope, that developers will eventually change the way their apps make changes to the file associations to enable typical in-program changes.

It is a bit ridiculous installing a program like Media Player Classic, and having to sort through a huge list of file-type associations in Windows Control Panel settings to change all defaults to MPC. Each change is slow via that route, and the file abbreviations for a type of program are not organized together, so a user doesn't even know what everything they're looking for is. And even after changing *.mkv to MPC, upon launching an mkv file I was then still asked by Windows which program I wanted to use to play the media.

Delicieuxz, Jul 12, 2015
  8. Where can bugs in builds be reported?

In a small sentence : Insider Hub.

GaloreRu1z4n3x, Jul 12, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Driver can cause all kinds of issues that you wouldn't think are driver issues. Again, I've not seen this behavior, nor does a google search find anyone else reporting it from what I can tell.

From the theme homepage:

Note the use of the word "patch". It's a kernel mode driver that, in memory patches the dll's and hijacks the theme digital signature validation. Once again, this is not something Microsoft is going to support. If it works for you, great, if it crashes your system, they are not going to do anything to fix it...

They're not allowed to. in fact, when you try to set the default, it pops up a dialog that tells you how to change the defaults. In fact, any program that does change defaults will now be considered malware from my understanding.

No, not Control Panel. You use Settings->System->Default Apps.

Mystere, Jul 12, 2015
  10. I don't have a single one of your issues, so I suspect most if not all of it is hardware or 3rd party software related. As for your display driver, I'd suggest you uninstall it (best to use Display Driver Uninstaller) and install the latest hotfix (currently 353.49), doing this for me fixed sleep mode driver crashes and other display issues.

Edited: Some reason I had this idea you were on a Nvidia card, but according to your specs, that's not the case. Anyway, I'd do the above and install the latest AMD driver for your GPU.

fracking4oil, Jul 12, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    I had this on one of the pre 10xxx builds. Went away on the next build. I did not change any driver myself (Intel HD 4600 onboard).
    I did not record the driver levels for the builds unfortunately.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Where can bugs in builds be reported?

1. Where can bugs in builds be reported? - Similar Threads - Where bugs builds

2. Bug Report

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bug Report: Hello i would like to report a bug with windows 11 where there are blank gaps where shopping and games should be in the widgets panels. Another bug ive been encountering is where the widgets sometimes dont update automatically and i have to manually refresh to actually see...
  3. Bug Report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bug Report: Hello i would like to report a bug with windows 11 where there are blank gaps where shopping and games should be in the widgets panels. Another bug ive been encountering is where the widgets sometimes dont update automatically and i have to manually refresh to actually see...
  4. report a bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    report a bug: bug ? .. regarding windows 10 file explorer. sorry for the grammar .. I am 80 and i have arthritis in my hands so i try to minimize typing. when a new version of my vb.net desktop application is run for the first time it does the following. 1 .. the program deletes any old...
  5. Bug Report

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bug Report: Hello My Self Neeraj From India Here Is A Big Bug On Your Windows 10 Oprating System win10 is not working perfactly in acer aspire E5-573Gin this laptop touchpad not working in windows 10 but its work perfactly in windows 7 here is no any driver issue i was try many of ways...
  6. Reporting bugs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reporting bugs: I am currently running Windows 10 verison 20H2 and I am unable to connect to my mobile hotspot sometimes, it says "Unable to connect to this network, also Settings app freezes when we click on System....
  7. Where to officially report windows bugs?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where to officially report windows bugs?: I am a very advanced Windows user and would like to know where I can create an official bug report that is being looked at by Microsoft. If you'd like to know more about the bug, don't even think about asking me, this place here has probably not even one solved case and is...
  8. Report a bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Report a bug: Hi all, I already posted before regarding frequent BSOD and unexpected crashing where we found out that the main cause was the RAM. We already replaced the RAM and when I turned on the PC, prior to logging in another BSOD event happened. It was pointing to the following...
  9. Where do I report Windows bugs?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where do I report Windows bugs?: Hi folks, just had a Windows update on my Surface Book 3 and since it updated the docking station has been on the blink which means everything that's plugged into it keeps turning off and on. Everything was peachy until the update had finished installing. Thank in advance...
  10. Drive Mount & Hard Link bugs - Where can I report them?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive Mount & Hard Link bugs - Where can I report them?: There are a number of bugs in Drive Mounts that also involves Hard Links. I summarize them below. Where can I report the bugs? STEP 1: I added an External USB3 Hub with 4, connected USB3 drives to USB3 Port A. I assigned Drive Letters & added Volume Labels (example: 'W:' &...