Windows 10: Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?

Discus and support Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have tried using FIDO Passkeys on Windows 10 and it works well for Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox. I was actually amazed because,... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by mickeymond, May 19, 2023.

1. Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?

I have tried using FIDO Passkeys on Windows 10 and it works well for Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox. I was actually amazed because, Passkeys that were created on Chrome was available for use on Edge and Firefox and vice versa.I totally understand that backup of Passkeys is not yet available however, I will be very happy to locate the locally stored Passkeys so that I can manage them i.e. remove the ones that I do not need anymore.

:)

mickeymond, May 19, 2023
  2. Brink Win User

Google bringing passkey support to Android and Chrome

Source: https://android-developers.googleblo...nd-chrome.html

Brink, May 19, 2023
  3. Brink Win User
    Passkeys for Google Accounts are now available

Source: https://blog.google/technology/safet...-the-password/

Brink, May 19, 2023
  4. Rob Koch Win User

Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?

Clear description of using passkeys

Kevin,

The FIDO2 section of the following User Authentication Specifications Overview document at the FIDO Alliance begins with this paragraph.

"FIDO2 is comprised of the W3C Web Authentication specification and corresponding Client-to-Authenticator Protocols (CTAP) from the FIDO Alliance. FIDO2 supports passwordless, second-factor and multi-factor user experiences with embedded (or bound) authenticators (such as biometrics or PINs) or external (or roaming) authenticators (such as FIDO Security Keys, mobile devices, wearables, etc.). "

User Authentication Specifications Overview - FIDO Alliance

Though the portion relating to "embedded (or bound) authenticators (such as biometrics or PINs)" seems to imply that devices like my tablet that contains Windows Hello based biometric hardware might allow it to be used with a built-in authenticator app, in most cases the final portion which mentions "external (or roaming) authenticators (such as FIDO Security Keys, mobile devices wearables, etc.)" would more likely apply.

What I mean here is that it will be up to the website owners (think government or other high security sites) to decide whether they'll accept a particular authenticator, including the version of software and hardware support it includes for use with their service. Though for most typical business websites it may be acceptable to use a device like my tablet to perform the authenticator functions directly, others including Microsoft itself might instead require that these be contained in either a smartphone (mobile device) or even a true FIDO Security Key for more secure sites.

Another paragraph I found on the FIDO Alliance site indicates that it's possible to provide the syncing capability that one of the earlier articles we'd read mentioned Microsoft was planning.

"Organizations can deploy FIDO sign-ins with passkeys across a variety of use cases. Passkeys enable users to access their FIDO sign-in credentials on many of their devices, even new ones, without having to re-enroll every device on every account. Alternatively, device-bound passkeys that are bound to a FIDO security key or platform are an option for organizations that do not require syncing."

Though this also implies it might be possible to sync across ecosystems, I expect this would be significantly more difficult due to cross-platform issues and so don't truly expect to see that.

Personally, I just hope they plan to support devices like the Microsoft Surface tablet that appears to contain the necessary biometric authentication hardware directly via either the Edge browser or at worst a FIDO2 authenticator app on the same device.

The security issue with keychain backups is obvious, since any form of external storage of all your keys is dangerous and if this were an easy to perform action within an authenticator, could be just as easily subverted by malware as a way to seal all of your keys remotely as well.

Rob

Rob Koch, May 19, 2023
Thema:

Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?

1. Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello? - Similar Threads - Where locate manage

2. Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?: I have tried using FIDO Passkeys on Windows 10 and it works well for Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox. I was actually amazed because, Passkeys that were created on Chrome was available for use on Edge and Firefox and vice versa.I totally understand that backup...
  3. Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?: I have tried using FIDO Passkeys on Windows 10 and it works well for Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox. I was actually amazed because, Passkeys that were created on Chrome was available for use on Edge and Firefox and vice versa.I totally understand that backup...
  4. Where Can I Get the NuGet Package Manager?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where Can I Get the NuGet Package Manager?: Where can I get the NuGet Package Manager?I have Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-can-i-get-the-nuget-package-manager/35924171-1fcc-41a5-a3ea-98333f2bfa45
  5. Where Can I Get the NuGet Package Manager?

Where Can I Get the NuGet Package Manager?: Where can I get the NuGet Package Manager?I have Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-can-i-get-the-nuget-package-manager/35924171-1fcc-41a5-a3ea-98333f2bfa45
  6. How can I use a FIDO phone-based passkey without having to cancel dialogs in MS Edge,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I use a FIDO phone-based passkey without having to cancel dialogs in MS Edge,...: Right now to register a phone-based not hardware based passkey in MS Edge or Chrome, I have to cancel two different dialogs and then I can select to use my phone. In order to use the phone to, I have to cancel one dialog every time I log in? In Firefox, on login, if I cancel...
  7. How can I use a FIDO phone-based passkey without having to cancel dialogs in MS Edge,...

How can I use a FIDO phone-based passkey without having to cancel dialogs in MS Edge,...: Right now to register a phone-based not hardware based passkey in MS Edge or Chrome, I have to cancel two different dialogs and then I can select to use my phone. In order to use the phone to, I have to cancel one dialog every time I log in? In Firefox, on login, if I cancel...
  8. Where can I get help with Task Manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where can I get help with Task Manager?: Task Manager won't end tasks and freezes, making it impossible to close after I click the x in the upper right corner. Adobe Creative Cloud won't access my apps, and Adobe tech support says I must fix Task Manager before they can turn off some processes and determine what's...
  9. Digital license of windows 10- where can I locate?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital license of windows 10- where can I locate?: Hi, Where can I locate my digital license of window 10. I am unable to find the digital license, I upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. Today I re-installed windows on my laptop. Now the system is asking me for product key. Please help. Regards, Praveen Sharma...
  10. i need passkey

in Windows 10 Customization
    i need passkey: i need passkey https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-passkey/c050792a-6537-453b-b9fd-c4b586a0f35e