Windows 10: Where did my contacts go?

Discus and support Where did my contacts go? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I am running Office Pro Plus 2007 and went to send email tonight and all my contacts have disappeared. I looked in icloud and nothing but got this... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Dakota37, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Dakota37 Win User

Where did my contacts go?

I am running Office Pro Plus 2007 and went to send email tonight and all my contacts have disappeared. I looked in icloud and nothing but got this error. This set of folders cannot be opened. Can't remember how to bring a file from Notepad into here. sorry. Hope someone can help.

:)

Dakota37, Jul 20, 2017
  2. vp4cmb Win User

90% of my contacts on my phone disappeared and there are no contacts in Microsoft Outlook even though the I got a message saying the sync was successful.

vp4cmb, Jul 20, 2017
  3. vp4cmb Win User

I recently installed Vista Ultimate on a freshly installed hard drive. I own a T-mobile Dash, I installed the new Windows mobile software and synced my phone. The sync said it was completed, the problem is that almost all of my contacts on my phone are
    gone and I can't find them in Micrsoft Outlook. Are these contacts lost. Can anyone suggest what I do now?

vp4cmb, Jul 20, 2017
  4. Where did my contacts go?

Hi Dakota37

Just had a similar issue with Outlook 2016. I assume you are using Outlook for mail, correct?

I'm going to suggest that the installation of major updates in Windows 10 breaks your installation of iCloud for the PC.

Do you know when or if the Creators update was installed?

If you log into icloud using your browser I assume your contacts are there and or you can see them on your Apple device, likely an iPhone, correct?

Here is what I did to get it running for my clients issue. Read before trying, it may not be your solution.

Shut down Outlook 20xx

Signed out of iCloud, accepted warning that data on PC would be lost. (please know that your data is in iCloud before doing and I would recommend backing it up, Contacts, Calendar, tasks, notes, other)

Click Start = Gear (Settings) – Click box Apps (V1703)

In Apps and features scroll down to iCloud

Right click iCloud, click modify

In modify menu, select repair, then select Quick Repair. This installs files window update crunched.

Accept message to restart machine.

Sign back into iCloud on PC. Then go into settings for iCloud and set up calendars and contacts for Outlook. (add others as necessary, like tasks.)

Open Outlook 20xx

Click “File” upper right, then Account settings, then Account Settings.

Click on tab “Data Files”

In my situation I set default data files to Outlook, yours maybe different.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 21, 2017
  5. Dakota37 Win User
    Tried that but couldn't get that far, stopped after modify and said could not find. I have had problems with this before so maybe I will just use windows mail. not liking some of it but it will do. Thanks for your help and I apologize for my delaym, but was in hospital with lung failure, now on oxygen dependent the rest of my life,

Dakota37, Aug 11, 2017
  6. Very sorry to hear about health.

I'm using Outlook 2013, synced to an Outlook.com account. Works very nice and my iphone syncs very nicely with the Outlook.com account. I use this set up for Calendar, contacts and tasks. One draw back, since I don't use for mail, per say, is that if someone sends calendar invite I have to manually insert.

If I add something on phone it flows to Outlook 2013 and if I add in Outlook 2013 (with Outlook.com set as data account) it flows to my phone.

Now if I moved my email address to Outlook.com that would solve the calendar invite issue too.

I think in your case if you can't repair ICloud I would uninstall it and then reapply.

Take care. Post back once you are done.

Caledon Ken, Aug 11, 2017
  7. Dakota37 Win User
    I really don't know anything about the cloud. I reinstalled my contacts from a saved file so that now when I look at them they are there but when I try to go to them to reply or fwd, they still will not show up.

Dakota37, Aug 12, 2017
  8. Where did my contacts go?

You want to get to the panel where you can see account settings. Second tab is "Data Files". You may have to set your iCloud account as the default data file. In Outlook 2013 you click on File, upper left, then Account Settings, then Account settings in drop down. Can't remember steps in 2007 but the pannels are the same once the Account Settings window appears.

I say you may have to set. You said you re-installed your contacts from a file. Not understanding exactly where you restored them your default "Data" file maybe different.

Could I ask where did you restore them too, your iCloud account, your Personal PST file or some other place?

When you type a name if it does not appear you can also click on "Check Names" which should be in your ribbon to force the search.

Finally, in my ribbon there is a menu item "Address Book". When I click on it it shows which account it will search for names. 2007 has similar functionality just a matter of how to get there.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 12, 2017
  9. Dakota37 Win User
    What if I uninstall office and reinstall it, will it let me put in the contacts again? Sorry but you guys are over my head.

Dakota37, Sep 8, 2017
  10. Sorry Dakota37. Not my intention.

It may work, that said it will not be the same as I don't understand setup.

The first thing I would completely uninstall is icloud, I would then reboot and install it and complete setup.

Can I ask, why were you using icloud? (Just so I have a better picture).

Next how did you restore your contacts, mentioned several posts back and when you restored them which address book do they show in?

Have a look at this. This is how to set an address book to be searched when you start an email.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-89a2661a5162

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 8, 2017
  11. Dakota37 Win User
    Thanks Ken, I did what it said to pick wich address book to be searched and found it. Was not under icloud but under contacts. hope that it stays there. Oh, I had exported a file of my contacts after I had made them a long time ago so will have to add some to it and change some because of age. That is where I got them from. Thanks again.

Dakota37, Sep 9, 2017
  12. Great. You never did say why you were using icloud. If it was to get contacts to phone or tablet are they now appearing there?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 9, 2017
  13. Dakota37 Win User

Don't remember why I was using it. Think it was to save them in case of something.

Dakota37, Sep 9, 2017
  14. Backups are always good. Glad you had one.

Caledon Ken, Sep 9, 2017
  15. Dakota37 Win User
    Don't knowwhy I was messing with the cloud anyway, don't know anything about it

Dakota37, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Where did my contacts go? - Similar Threads - Where did contacts

2. Where did my Bluetooth go?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did my Bluetooth go?: I dont have anything Bluetooth when I'm in my device manager at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-did-my-bluetooth-go/c73a03f7-6284-41b4-b5da-18c77484179e
  3. Where did my files go?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where did my files go?: I was in the process of moving some .package files to my mods folder cc for the Sims 4, and decided to take a shower while I waited for the files to transfer. When I came back, the pc was off, and my files disappeared. I looked everywhere for them. in folders, in different...
  4. Where did my gpu go?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where did my gpu go?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Clasher212421 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/uj3z1b/where_did_my_gpu_go/
  5. Where did my icons go?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where did my icons go?: Alright, So yesterday all of my icons had a logo or something, I woke up today and they're all gone exepct for a frew, They look like a bunch of papers., First image is pre-change and second image is post change. i did switch monitors[IMG][ATTACH]...
  6. Where did my res go?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where did my res go?: I updated my pc to find my res that I always use not there anymore submitted by /u/FoxGamzah [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hraczj/where_did_my_res_go/
  7. Where did my robux go?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did my robux go?: Hello, I have recently purchased robux from the microsoft store, but when I went to my account, the robux wasn't there. Then, i realized that i was on the original roblox website, and there must've been a roblox from microsoft. Surely enough, there was. But, when i checked...
  8. Where Did My Sketchpad Go?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where Did My Sketchpad Go?: I ran the latest windows update on my surface and it seems that the Windows Ink Workspace is broken. I only have two options, and the sketchpad app that I use very often at work with coworkers/clients is gone. Do I need to restore and update again? Is this a known bug? Is the...
  9. Where did my backgrounds go?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where did my backgrounds go?: For no apparent reason tonight my desktop wallpaper changed from a series of images that I have taken to a black screen. I opened the background settings to find a brand new layout staring at me. Digging through my C:\ drive I find no more trace of the backgrounds folder...
  10. Where did my outlook go?

in Browsers and Email
    Where did my outlook go?: Hi all. I just restarted my PC, and now I cannot find my "outlook" program. When I hit start and search for "outlook", it just stays there searching. And in my "all apps", I can't find it either. 20705