Windows 10: Where did my files go?

Discus and support Where did my files go? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just updated to a new windows 10 build using the dvd. Installed using the keep personal files option. The complete opposite seems to have happened! My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by david0288, Apr 23, 2015.

1. david0288 Win User

Where did my files go?

Just updated to a new windows 10 build using the dvd. Installed using the keep personal files option. The complete opposite seems to have happened! My program files folder is still there. I have a windows.old folder. And a new e: but wherever I look the users folders, downloads, my pictures, my documents are all empty.

I backed up the most important things beforehand of course but still this seems strange. Why would they be deleted when everything else remains?

:)

david0288, Apr 23, 2015
  2. ConiGL Win User

Where oh where did my recycle bin go?

From another user on this forum.

SusanScarberry
    replied on

I had lost my icons on my desktop after upgrading to a home build. I lost the recycle icon and followed all the steps on this page over and over and it did not help. I kept playing around and found an easy way to restore all icons.

On your desktop screen right click you mouse, a windows will open the first thing on the list is view hold your mouse over it and another small window or tab will come up, it should say on there show icons on desktop click on that and it will put a checkmark
    on and all your icons will appear.

I assume when I got an update Microsoft must of unchecked the box. This is easier and quicker than all the other suggestion by Microsoft.

Hope this help anyone else having issues

ConiGL, Apr 23, 2015
  3. eyore15 Win User
    Where oh where did my recycle bin go?

Thanks for helping

eyore15, Apr 23, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Where did my files go?

Hello David, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Double check to see if you may have a C:\$Windows.~BT type folder. If you do, see if a copy of your user folder and files may be in it. *Smile

Brink, Apr 23, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Shawn, where under that folder would they be? I don't see any Users folder.

Ztruker, Apr 24, 2015
  6. windows.old folder - methinks

it's a system folder, so you'll have to change the explorer view to see it.

Slartybart, Apr 24, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's a folder that could contains left overs that didn't make it to the upgrade or repair install for whatever reason. If it exists, it would have the same "Users\(user-name)" folder structure if the profile folder was left there.

Brink, Apr 24, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Where did my files go?

Shawn, You're confusing Windows.old with Windows.~bt. Windows.~bt only contains the installation files.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Where did my files go?

1. Where did my files go? - Similar Threads - Where did files

2. Where did my files go?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where did my files go?: I was in the process of moving some .package files to my mods folder cc for the Sims 4, and decided to take a shower while I waited for the files to transfer. When I came back, the pc was off, and my files disappeared. I looked everywhere for them. in folders, in different...
  3. Where did my files go?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did my files go?: I was in the process of moving some .package files to my mods folder cc for the Sims 4, and decided to take a shower while I waited for the files to transfer. When I came back, the pc was off, and my files disappeared. I looked everywhere for them. in folders, in different...
  4. Where did my files go?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. where did all my files go?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where did all my files go?: I am really angry with MS. Tomorrow I will sell all my shares in the company.It is outrageous what they are doing.I have attempted to turn off and disable onedrive because I do not want to back up my files on the onedrive cloud and I do not want to auto sync my files and I do...
  6. where did all my files go?

where did all my files go?: I am really angry with MS. Tomorrow I will sell all my shares in the company.It is outrageous what they are doing.I have attempted to turn off and disable onedrive because I do not want to back up my files on the onedrive cloud and I do not want to auto sync my files and I do...
  7. Where did the file go?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did the file go?: I've given up on trying to get OneDrive to work again. Someone from Microsoft told me to uninstall OneDrive. Now, when i click on that folder at the bottom of the screen, there is no OneDrive file, and the biggest file of all, one that is very important to me, is missing. It...
  8. Where did the file go?

Where did the file go?: I've given up on trying to get OneDrive to work again. Someone from Microsoft told me to uninstall OneDrive. Now, when i click on that folder at the bottom of the screen, there is no OneDrive file, and the biggest file of all, one that is very important to me, is missing. It...
  9. Where did my EXE file go?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where did my EXE file go?: Recently, I have been trying to take sprites from a game. I found some tutorials and was going to try them out. One of them suggested decompressing the EXE file for the game. Whenever I look for it, the file is not there. Here are the things I've tried: 1. Deleting the app...
  10. Where did my Files Go To?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where did my Files Go To?: I got a notification saying my OneDrive was full. Supposedly OneDrive has been syncing all my desktop files I didn't know this, thanks a ton Microsoft so I went into OneDrive and selected to stop backup of desktop files, well now all the files on my desktop are gone, and...