Windows 10: Where did the name for the top level folder in Windows 10 file Explorer come from?

Discus and support Where did the name for the top level folder in Windows 10 file Explorer come from? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Home installed. When I opened the File Explorer, I saw my full name used for the top-level folder under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GaryR40, Aug 16, 2019.

1. GaryR40 Win User

Where did the name for the top level folder in Windows 10 file Explorer come from?

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Home installed. When I opened the File Explorer, I saw my full name used for the top-level folder under Desktop. I don't want that but I soon found that I couldn't rename it to something else. Then I scrolled down to Users in OS (CWhere did the name for the top level folder in Windows 10 file Explorer come from? :) and didn't see the name there. Instead, there was a different name that looks like it was taken from my email address.

How do I change the name to something else?

:)

GaryR40, Aug 16, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 16, 2019
  3. idigweeds Win User
    add a top level folder to My PC in Windows 10

Not exactly what I was looking for. When you open File Explorer, the program shows two areas... one is the smaller Navigation pane on the left side of the window. On the right is a larger area divided into two categories, what I choose to call 'top level'
    folders for the lack of a better name, and then a group of drive icons. What I want to do is add additional top level folders to this view. I created several additional folders at the same location on the hard drive as the existing top level folders, but
    these do not appear in the top level folders area as displayed in My PC in File Explorer. Is there any way I can get the folders I created to appear here?

idigweeds, Aug 16, 2019
  4. Where did the name for the top level folder in Windows 10 file Explorer come from?

Win10 File Explorer will not allow naming a new folder

Just downloaded Windows 10. In File Explorer I tried to create a new folder, but could not enter a name. The box closed and reverted to New Folder. Tried Rename, but box closed after entering first letter. Also in list of folders, keeps auto scrolling to
    top.

Edit:

Link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t-rename/3d93fe8a-6041-4d2b-97a0-8fd7cc4f1a2d

Title:

File Explorer will not rename

Just downloaded Windows 10. In File Explorer I tried to create a new folder, but could not enter a name. The box closed and reverted to New Folder. Tried Rename, but box closed after entering first letter.
    Also in list of folders, keeps auto scrolling to top.

No color problems, so do not understand first reply.

AngusScully, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

Where did the name for the top level folder in Windows 10 file Explorer come from?

1. Where did the name for the top level folder in Windows 10 file Explorer come from? - Similar Threads - Where did name

2. Where did this come from?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did this come from?: Where did this filecome from?? I never used Remote Desktop Connection before... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-did-this-come-from/7ce9a3b4-82e7-4e23-a474-22a12e16839a
  3. Where did this come from?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where did this come from?: Where did this filecome from?? I never used Remote Desktop Connection before... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-did-this-come-from/7ce9a3b4-82e7-4e23-a474-22a12e16839a
  4. Identical 'Users' folder named 'Users..'. What is this? And where did it come from?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Identical 'Users' folder named 'Users..'. What is this? And where did it come from?: Here's a screenshot of what I mean.There's basically full duplicate of my 'Users' folder named 'Users..'. It has everything that the other one has, all the %appdata% etc.. I have no idea how it got here and what it is and I am unable to find any information about this on...
  5. Identical 'Users' folder named 'Users..'. What is this? And where did it come from?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Identical 'Users' folder named 'Users..'. What is this? And where did it come from?: Here's a screenshot of what I mean.There's basically full duplicate of my 'Users' folder named 'Users..'. It has everything that the other one has, all the %appdata% etc.. I have no idea how it got here and what it is and I am unable to find any information about this on...
  6. Identical 'Users' folder named 'Users..'. What is this? And where did it come from?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Where did this account come from?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did this account come from?: I have noticed it showing up once in a while, but it seemed to vanish when I tried to do anything with it. could it have been restored from an old very old account from my past? I don't remember it but that could be the case. if so, this may be the root of some of the...
  8. Where did this account come from?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Where did this account come from?: I have noticed it showing up once in a while, but it seemed to vanish when I tried to do anything with it. could it have been restored from an old very old account from my past? I don't remember it but that could be the case. if so, this may be the root of some of the...
  9. Where the H did this come from?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where the H did this come from?: My computer had gone to sleep for a couple of hours. When I brought it up again and looked at my desktop, a Homegroup icon now appears on it. I cannot delete or move it. I don't have a Homegroup. Where did this come from? There were no updates processed recently. In fact I...
  10. Make a folder a top level library in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Make a folder a top level library in explorer: I was able to do this in Win 7 however not having it anymore I can't figure out how I did it. In explorer the library icons on the left pane have the actual folder as a submenu item, that is if you expand a library you have to expand the actual folder to see the subfolders. I...