Windows 10: Where do my files go when I reset my windows PC from the installation media and choose...

Discus and support Where do my files go when I reset my windows PC from the installation media and choose... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I wanted to know where do these files go while the PC is resetting as I only have a 16GB thumb drive which is smaller than the amount of memory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DerpyPlayz18, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Where do my files go when I reset my windows PC from the installation media and choose...

I wanted to know where do these files go while the PC is resetting as I only have a 16GB thumb drive which is smaller than the amount of memory occupied by my files and programs. Does everything go in the thumb drive which results in me needing to buy a bigger external drive, does it just stay in its position, does it create its own partition or does it go into a cloud position?

:)

DerpyPlayz18, Apr 12, 2021

2. Unable to reset the pc

Hello,

If you are having that message while trying to reset your computer, We suggest you to create an installation media for Windows 10 using Media
    Creation Tool
    and perform a Reset.

Once the installation media is created, follow the steps below:

• Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
    • On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use Safe Mode. Select
      Advanced Options >Reset This PC>Remove everything.
    • After the reset is complete, check for status.

Give us an update on what happens.

Anthony Cato, Apr 12, 2021
  3. Windows 10 "There was a problem resetting your PC"

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply and updating on the status.

I suggest you to create an installation media for Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool from the link provided below and perform a Reset.

Windows 10 herunterladen

Once the installation media is created, follow the steps below:

• Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
    • On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use Safe Mode. Select
      Advanced Options >Reset This PC>Remove everything.
    • After the reset is complete, check for status.
    Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 12, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Where do my files go when I reset my windows PC from the installation media and choose...

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Thema:

Where do my files go when I reset my windows PC from the installation media and choose...

1. Where do my files go when I reset my windows PC from the installation media and choose... - Similar Threads - Where files reset

2. Where did my files go?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where did my files go?: I was in the process of moving some .package files to my mods folder cc for the Sims 4, and decided to take a shower while I waited for the files to transfer. When I came back, the pc was off, and my files disappeared. I looked everywhere for them. in folders, in different...
  3. After resetting my pc, will i be able to choose where i reinstall Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After resetting my pc, will i be able to choose where i reinstall Windows 10?: I have built a PC a couple months back while having minimal experience with technology, and did some things wrong. I installed the OS on my HDD while having an SSD, and would like to transfer the OS to the SSD. While trying to correct this on my own, I attempted to follow...
  4. After resetting my pc, will i be able to choose where i reinstall Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After resetting my pc, will i be able to choose where i reinstall Windows 10?: I have built a PC a couple months back while having minimal experience with technology, and did some things wrong. I installed the OS on my HDD while having an SSD, and would like to transfer the OS to the SSD. While trying to correct this on my own, I attempted to follow...
  5. After resetting my pc, will i be able to choose where i reinstall Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. I need to get my files and pictures from my other pc that needs repair. Where do I go?

I need to get my files and pictures from my other pc that needs repair. Where do I go?: Bad hard drive on my PC. I need to get my files and pictures from my other pc that needs repair from the the cloud. Where do I go? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-get-my-files-and-pictures-from-my-other/56772b7e-2270-438c-a21d-906ad97e3ec9
  7. I need to get my files and pictures from my other pc that needs repair. Where do I go?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to get my files and pictures from my other pc that needs repair. Where do I go?: Bad hard drive on my PC. I need to get my files and pictures from my other pc that needs repair from the the cloud. Where do I go? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-get-my-files-and-pictures-from-my-other/56772b7e-2270-438c-a21d-906ad97e3ec9
  8. I need to get my files and pictures from my other pc that needs repair. Where do I go?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Where do files go?

Where do files go?: Hello I accidently deleted Program files folder on my secondary HDD, which had just application data, I recovered 90 percent of it with Recuva, and have it on a external HDD, now my issue is where and how can I find where to put them cause its just a bunch of unorganized...
  10. How do I choose the location on installing the installation media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I choose the location on installing the installation media: It always choose the hard drive that always has low storage, and I want it to be my USB submitted by /u/Zemicron [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f6nvgs/how_do_i_choose_the_location_on_installing_the/