Windows 10: Where Do These Temp Files Come From?

Discus and support Where Do These Temp Files Come From? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Location: C>Windows>Temp I recently started seeing folders with names like tw-15c0-518-ac7fd8e in the above location. Apparently all the folders are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vanp, May 5, 2019.

1. vanp Win User

Where Do These Temp Files Come From?

I recently started seeing folders with names like tw-15c0-518-ac7fd8e in the above location. Apparently all the folders are empty. First there were a few dozen, and I deleted them 2 or 3 times (once per week). This time there were about 200. Looking at Properties doesn't give me any indication where they come from. Deleting them doesn't seem to hurt. Any idea of their source or if there's anything I can do to prevent their creation?

Thanks.

:)

vanp, May 5, 2019

2. Temp Files : Runaway Creation

Hello Bruce,

Windows Temporary files are created by the operating system during the normal course of its running when there may not be enough memory allocated for the task.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to delete temporary files nad check if it helps:

Step 1

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type temp and click OK
    • Press Ctrl + A and click Delete

Step 2

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type %temp% and click OK

Step 3

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type prefetch and click OK

Get back to us, if you have further queries. We will be glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, May 5, 2019
  3. These temp files will not delete

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We understand that, you are unable to delete temp files on Windows 10 and I'd be certainly help you.

For a better understanding of your issue, answer the query below:

• Do you receive any prompt or error code?
    • What happens, when you try to delete temp files?
    I suggest you to follow these methods below and check, if it works:

Method 1:

• Press Windows key + R key together, to open RUN command Window.
    • Type "temp" in the RUN Command Window, to open temp folder and then delete the files and folders inside the temp folder.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

• Press Windows key + R key together, to open RUN command Window.
    • Type "%temp%" in the RUN Command Window, to open temp folder and then delete the files and folders inside the temp folder.
    If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode, then perform disk cleanup on Windows 10 and check, if it works.

I suggest you to refer the article and check, if it helps.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Let's try to perform disk cleanup on Windows 10 and check, if it works.

Disk cleanup in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, May 5, 2019
  4. Where Do These Temp Files Come From?

Temp files not deleting Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

The temp files might be hidden and so not getting deleted as you have mentioned that you are unable to view the temp files in the temp folder.

I suggest you to first unhide the files and folders and then try to clear the Temp files.

1. Open File explorer and click on the
    option View from top of the page.

2. Now check the box Hidden items.

Now check if you are able to view the Temp files.

If the issue persists, I suggest you
    to boot into safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The word
    Safe Mode appears in the corners of your monitor to identify which monitors mode you are using.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + R.
    • Run will open, type
      msconfig and hit the Enter key.
    • A system configuration box will pop up.
    • Click on Boot Tab.
    • Select or click the check box Safe mode with networking.
    • Click on Apply and ok.
    • You will then see a restart button. Click it to restart your computer.
    Once you are in safe mode try using the disk clean up tool and check if you can clear all the temp files.

Once you completed the steps above follow the below steps on how to go back to normal mode:

• Press Windows Key + R.
    • Run will open, type
      msconfig and hit the Enter key.
    • A system configuration box will pop up.
    • Click on Boot Tab.
    • If you see safe mode box has a check mark in it,
      uncheck the safe mode box and hit apply or
      ok
    • You will then see a restart button. Click it to restart your computer.
    • When your computer comes back up, sign in and you will now be in "normal mode".

Let us know the status of the issue. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 5, 2019
Thema:

Where Do These Temp Files Come From?

1. Where Do These Temp Files Come From? - Similar Threads - Where Temp Files

2. Where to find the rest of the temp files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where to find the rest of the temp files?: Hello, i would like to clean my memory in my pc, but unfortunaly when i want to delete the temp files that take a lot of space from what i can see i would put a screenshot, Windows doesn't show me where the rest of the files is, so i dont know how to delete the rest, can...
  3. Where to find the rest of the temp files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where to find the rest of the temp files?: Hello, i would like to clean my memory in my pc, but unfortunaly when i want to delete the temp files that take a lot of space from what i can see i would put a screenshot, Windows doesn't show me where the rest of the files is, so i dont know how to delete the rest, can...
  4. Where to find the rest of the temp files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Where are they coming from?

Where are they coming from?: Under my temp folder, there seem to be a lot of files named ''scoped_dir'' and then a bunch of random numbers at the back of the folder names. I also noticed that all of these ''scoped_dir'' files were being created under my temp folder at the same time, as shown below, but...
  6. Where are they coming from?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are they coming from?: Under my temp folder, there seem to be a lot of files named ''scoped_dir'' and then a bunch of random numbers at the back of the folder names. I also noticed that all of these ''scoped_dir'' files were being created under my temp folder at the same time, as shown below, but...
  7. Where are they coming from?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How do I find where temp files are from

How do I find where temp files are from: I have lots of random files in my %temp% I want to know where they are from so I know what I can delete https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-where-temp-files-are-from/b15c4a91-5529-4a51-afc4-76d8bfb91e4c
  9. where are TEMP files in Windows 10

where are TEMP files in Windows 10: where are TEMP files in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-temp-files-in-windows-10/22b20dfb-221d-4daa-9c26-b2d262f93d79"
  10. Where does this come from?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where does this come from?: Anyone want to try this: Press and hold the right Alt key (keep holding it), tap the left Alt key momentarily, then tap the Tab key and tap Tab again to scroll through the XP style Tabs Menu, ... do you see a tab called Search Pane and does it bring up the 'Charms'...