Windows 10: Where does the Win 10 download go?

Discus and support Where does the Win 10 download go? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I registered for Win 10 and then cancelled. Last week, there was a large (3GB or so) hit on my Broadband allowance, which seems to roughly coincide... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by edwarne2001, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Where does the Win 10 download go?

Hi
    I registered for Win 10 and then cancelled. Last week, there was a large (3GB or so) hit on my Broadband allowance, which seems to roughly coincide with the size of Win 10. How can I see whether the files have been downloaded? Where does it put them and what would I do if they are there and I wanted to install? (The Get Win10 app doesn't seem to know about it, if that was what it was).
    Thanks for any help
    Ed

:)

edwarne2001, Aug 17, 2015
  2. grmann Win User

I scrambled Win 10 home.

Restore does not work, Where can I get a re-install for Win 10, to download?

grmann, Aug 17, 2015
  3. n97, where does the download music go

It depends on what you used to download.

If you use the browser then it goes to a folder called Download.

If you used another application to download then it could be anywhere.

I would connect the N97 using mass storage mode to a PC and then use either Windows file search or similar to find it.

Other places that could be

\sound files

\music

\sounds

\playlists

\podcasts

el_loco---01, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Where does the Win 10 download go?

The files will be stored in a hidden folder called "$Windows.~BT" on the drive Windows currently is installed on.

I have not cancelled my reservation, so I do not know, what exactly you have to click now in order to run the upgrade, but I think it should still be possible through the Get Windows 10 app.

Another option is to open "Windows Update" and to hit the big "Windows 10" button there. Also, in Windows Update, Windows 10 might be listed under available updates so installing it from there is yet another way to actually start the upgrade.

Joergi, Aug 17, 2015
  5. Thanks Joergi. That folder isn't hidden on my system but is 6.15Gb. Does it have other stuff normally that isn't part of Win10?
    I note the folder date matches the one the download seems to have happened but the subfolder NewOS is empty!

6. Joergi Win User
    The $Windows.~BT folder has also been used for inplace upgrades to older versions of Windows. So if you e.g. have upgraded the PC to Windows 7 in the past, then this folder will have been used at that point. The disk cleanup utility of Windows has an option to remove files in that folder. However, if old files from such an old upgrade might still be there, I don't know. Also I would not recommend using this cleanup utility now as you might still want to actually use these files, I think.

For me the NewOS subfolder contains one file which might have to do with a boot manager and it contains one subfolder, which looks like a system internal folder. That is all. My Windows 10 upgrade worked correctly.

Apart from that, I don't know about the internals of what should be where in this folder. Anyway: The contents of this folder are needed to do the Windows 10 upgrade through the Get Windows 10 app. If you remove things from this folder, it is quite likely that this upgrade will no longer work.

Joergi, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Thanks. I've not done an upgrade, only routine updates. I guess that my original suspicions about the Broadband hit were right, though.

8. Joergi Win User

Yes, as to what you say, that is possible.

Joergi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Where does the Win 10 download go? - Similar Threads - Where does download

2. Where does my question go?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where does my question go?: When I submit a question here on the Microsoft website answers.microsoft.com, where does my question go and how can I see the answers that someone might provide? I checked the box to be notified when someone responds, but it doesn't say how I'll be notified. I didn't enter in...
  3. Random Downloads. Where are they coming from, and where are they going?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Downloads. Where are they coming from, and where are they going?: Hi, can anyone help an issue I am having?When I first turn on my laptop I keep reciving notifications from my antivirus saying a file is being downloaded under a name of e36-68a-5743s2-as2 etc, or something similar. The antivirus is detecting nothing suspecious in the...
  4. Random Downloads. Where are they coming from, and where are they going?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Downloads. Where are they coming from, and where are they going?: Hi, can anyone help an issue I am having?When I first turn on my laptop I keep reciving notifications from my antivirus saying a file is being downloaded under a name of e36-68a-5743s2-as2 etc, or something similar. The antivirus is detecting nothing suspecious in the...
  5. Where To Download Win 10 Version 1909?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where To Download Win 10 Version 1909?: As the title says. I went to the page "Download Windows 10" and the only download option I had was for Version 2004. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-to-download-win-10-version-1909/55079274-7536-48a4-bfb8-9d4c75406a20
  6. where does my windows adk download go

where does my windows adk download go: I downloaded 7.5 Gb of Windows ADK in my opinion I downloaded it is to be verified this is the link Windows ADK downloads 7.5 GB https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...deployment-kit Here are a couple of screenshots I took while downloading it [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  7. Where the "cancelled move" files go? in Win 10.

Where the "cancelled move" files go? in Win 10.: From the task bar; I clicked on the desktop icon. Till appeared from the sub menus: the E drive "not system drive". I clicked to move it to the desktop. The computer said it's moving it. I changed my mind; so I paused the operation. Then I cancelled it. After that I didn't...
  8. Where the "cancelled move" files go? in Win 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where the "cancelled move" files go? in Win 10.: From the task bar; I clicked on the desktop icon. Till appeared from the sub menus: the E drive "not system drive". I clicked to move it to the desktop. The computer said it's moving it. I changed my mind; so I paused the operation. Then I cancelled it. After that I didn't...
  9. Where does my memory go

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Where does my memory go: I have for some time emptied my win update clean up after downloading latest updates and noticed that the amount it says I can recover does not seem to return to my hard drive this time it said I could recover 5.79 gb on my ssd it said before clearing used 43.4 free 179gb now...
  10. In windows 10, where does "copy" go to?

In windows 10, where does "copy" go to?: I'm trying to save a pictures I received by e-mail, and when I right click, I was not able to load it into my photo album, so went back and selected "copy" but, where does it copy it to??????...