Windows 10: Where has my DVD/CD gone?

Discus and support Where has my DVD/CD gone? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello members, and Happy Easter to you. I have a problem with my HP Laptop, which I hope someone out there would have some idea of how to fix. I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by elusiverunner, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Where has my DVD/CD gone?

Hello members, and Happy Easter to you.

I have a problem with my HP Laptop, which I hope someone out there would have some idea of how to fix. I got my laptop as a reconditioned machine about seven - eight months ago. Everything and all devices work perfectly. Since then I have upgraded Windows 10 Home - taking the OS to version 2004 (OS Build 19041.153).
    The problem that has manifested itself it that my DVD/CD is that the drive is only viewable in certain frames, for example Device Manager. Other than being able to display the drive and have it start to read a disc, the drive is absolutely unrecognizable I know the drive is OK and not damaged in any respect.

Windows details are Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.153)

:)

elusiverunner, Apr 10, 2020

2. CD/DVD RW Drive not recognised

Hi all.

I have an Acer laptop with built in DVD/CD RW drive, running Win 10

For some reason, the laptop has stopped recognising it.

When I put a disc in it whirs, spins and clicks as usual as if it were reading it normally, then stops.

Have gone through all the usual checks and I note that its not even listed under devices, in fact, there is no option for CD/DVD drives even listed to expand under

I have even gone as far as to return the laptop to factory settings and still no luck.

Can anyone suggest a fix (in laymans terms LOL)

SniperShot, Apr 10, 2020
  3. CD/DVD Drive gone

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I request you to follow the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" and type "devmgmt.msc".
    • Right click on the CD/DVD and uninstall the driver.
    • Restart the computer.
    • Again go to device manager.
    • Under "Actions", click on "Scan for hardware changes".

You may also try the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and press Enter key.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Apr 10, 2020
  4. Where has my DVD/CD gone?

CD/DVD Drive not recongnizing

Original title: Franks

Hi Franks,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to install the latest drivers for CD/DVD drive from the manufacturer’s website or can update the drivers by following the steps provided below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “devmgmt.msc”.
    • Right click on DVD/CD Roms from the list and select
      properties.
    • Under Driver tab click on Update button and follow the prompts to update the driver.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Where has my DVD/CD gone?

1. Where has my DVD/CD gone? - Similar Threads - Where has DVD

2. Where has my space gone?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where has my space gone?: For a while now I've been getting warnings that my C: Windows 10 folder is running out of space. It hasn't caused any noticeable performance issues and I usually do some clearing up when I get the message.Over the weekend I moved an additional 5GB to the Windows 10 partition...
  3. Where has my space gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where has my space gone?: For a while now I've been getting warnings that my C: Windows 10 folder is running out of space. It hasn't caused any noticeable performance issues and I usually do some clearing up when I get the message.Over the weekend I moved an additional 5GB to the Windows 10 partition...
  4. Where has my space gone?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Where has the transparency gone ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where has the transparency gone ?: I'm sure the Start Menu and even the Windows+V clipboard were transparents before, but they aren't anymore since today. The taskbar is still transparent but the opacity is too low, it was a little blurry before. I found this tutorial but I doesn't work :...
  6. Where has the space gone?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Where has the space gone?: Hi. I have a standard Dell Inspiron 3780 with 128gb SSD. I had been keeping the SSD around 50% used, which suited me fine. I checked the properties on the C: drive, and to my surprise it was at 83gb, way up from the 50gb it had been running. Alarmed, I fired up WinDirStat. It...
  7. Where has the space gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where has the space gone?: Hi. I have a standard Dell Inspiron 3780 with 128gb SSD. I had been keeping the SSD around 50% used, which suited me fine. I checked the properties on the C: drive, and to my surprise it was at 83gb, way up from the 50gb it had been running. Alarmed, I fired up WinDirStat. It...
  8. DVD/CD-rom drives completely gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVD/CD-rom drives completely gone: I'll try to keep it short. Sorry if I don't explain it well. I can give more detail in the comments. I was using the drive, went through multiple discs, then it was suddenly gone from the Windows Explorer tab and the PC window. I saw online to uninstall the dvd/cd-rom...
  9. Where Has My Bluetooth Driver Gone?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where Has My Bluetooth Driver Gone?: I have been experiencing issues with my Bluetooth. I recently bought a pair of Bluetooth headphones for my phone and hoped they'd be compatible with my computer. But when I went to my settings, the on and off button for Bluetooth didn't even exist. I then attempted to...
  10. Where has my sound gone?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where has my sound gone?: Halfway through watching something on YouTube yesterday an update icon came on the screen - by mistake I clicked for it to update and ever since then I haven't had any sound. I've followed all the trouble shooting options - including uninstalling - and still nothing....