Windows 10: Where in Registry do I find the default path for shortcuts?

Discus and support Where in Registry do I find the default path for shortcuts? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I install a program it creates a shortcut. This shortcut's path starts with D:\Program Files x86 even when the program was installed in D:\Program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarcDeSmetBE, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Where in Registry do I find the default path for shortcuts?

When I install a program it creates a shortcut. This shortcut's path starts with D:\Program Files x86 even when the program was installed in D:\Program Files. Such a shortcut does not work.

The default target path for shortcuts is defined in the registry as far as I know. Probably in more than one registry key.

Who can point me to the right registry entries to check and possible edit?

:)

MarcDeSmetBE, Dec 15, 2020
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Where in Registry do I find the default path for shortcuts? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Dec 15, 2020
  3. "Internet ADSL" shortcut keeps reappearing

I have a very odd problem, I've just re-installed Vista x64 and the shortcut to connect me to my ADSL internet always recreates itself on bootup. I'm sure there must be a registry tweak or something to stop it doing it.

Here's what I've tried:

• Reinstalling ADSL modem drivers
    • Deleting shortcut every time
    • Deleting connection and recreating connection

Also it doesn't remember any of my settings associated with this connection. I have unchecked "Prompt me for name, and password..." and changed redialling options lots of times but when I restart the PC the shortcut has recreated itself and my preferences have been reset to default! *Confused Where in Registry do I find the default path for shortcuts? :confused:

Any ideas?

oli_ramsay, Dec 15, 2020
  4. terrace Win User

Where in Registry do I find the default path for shortcuts?

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Where in Registry do I find the default path for shortcuts? :)

terrace, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

Where in Registry do I find the default path for shortcuts?

1. Where in Registry do I find the default path for shortcuts? - Similar Threads - Where Registry find

2. where do i find the "destination part" in shortcut properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where do i find the "destination part" in shortcut properties: where do i find the "destination part" in shortcut properties https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-i-find-the-destination-part-in-shortcut/829bb4aa-7e3c-4afd-836b-8bcf308da218
  3. where do i find the "destination part" in shortcut properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    where do i find the "destination part" in shortcut properties: where do i find the "destination part" in shortcut properties https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-i-find-the-destination-part-in-shortcut/829bb4aa-7e3c-4afd-836b-8bcf308da218
  4. i setting up a printer its asking my laptop ip address and path, where do i find the path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i setting up a printer its asking my laptop ip address and path, where do i find the path: I am trying to set up my printer and it asked me my computer's ip address and path. where do i find the path. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-setting-up-a-printer-its-asking-my-laptop-ip/0c82b94c-c6b4-4604-9c19-5ddb5d8768be
  5. i setting up a printer its asking my laptop ip address and path, where do i find the path

i setting up a printer its asking my laptop ip address and path, where do i find the path: I am trying to set up my printer and it asked me my computer's ip address and path. where do i find the path. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-setting-up-a-printer-its-asking-my-laptop-ip/0c82b94c-c6b4-4604-9c19-5ddb5d8768be
  6. Hi, Where can I find the default registry settings for the new Notepad.exe version...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, Where can I find the default registry settings for the new Notepad.exe version...: Hi,My name is gabriel, and I was wondering if I could edit my registry so by default turn off my word wrap setting on the last notepad.exe upgraded in my windows 11?Thanks for your help...
  7. Hi, Where can I find the default registry settings for the new Notepad.exe version...

Hi, Where can I find the default registry settings for the new Notepad.exe version...: Hi,My name is gabriel, and I was wondering if I could edit my registry so by default turn off my word wrap setting on the last notepad.exe upgraded in my windows 11?Thanks for your help...
  8. Where is Tlauncher in the Registry? I can't seem to find it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is Tlauncher in the Registry? I can't seem to find it: I can't find it. Pls do help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-tlauncher-in-the-registry-i-cant-seem-to/b0292236-a566-4825-8ec7-94430962f50b
  9. Where is Tlauncher in the Registry? I can't seem to find it

Where is Tlauncher in the Registry? I can't seem to find it: I can't find it. Pls do help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-tlauncher-in-the-registry-i-cant-seem-to/b0292236-a566-4825-8ec7-94430962f50b
  10. How find something in the Registry if I know the path?

in Windows 10 Support
    How find something in the Registry if I know the path?: Using the Find option in regedit, I was (finally) able to find what I was looking for in the Registry. Now that I've found it - and knowing the path, can I find it next time by keying in the path? I've tried different key word combinations and a partial path using the Find...