Windows 10: Where is "Dim the Display" option in WIn 10?

Discus and support Where is "Dim the Display" option in WIn 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, I noticed today when I go to Control panel and go to Power Options, and edit plan settings, there is NO "dim the Display" option anymore. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by harleymhs, Jan 16, 2016.

1. harleymhs Win User

Where is "Dim the Display" option in WIn 10?

Hey guys, I noticed today when I go to Control panel and go to Power Options, and edit plan settings, there is NO "dim the Display" option anymore. I have it on my Win 7 machine! Anyway to enable this feature in Win 10 Pro? Thanks!

:)

harleymhs, Jan 16, 2016

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Jan 16, 2016
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Jan 16, 2016
  4. Elizabeth Win User

Settings>Display,Notifications,Apps,Power>Adjust Brightness Level

Elizabeth, Jan 16, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Same place. There's no change.
    Control panel > Power Options > Change plan settings ......................
    The screenshot is taken on my laptop. If you have a desktop, yours will look slightly different...............

Where is "Dim the Display" option in WIn 10? [​IMG]

davidhk, Jan 16, 2016
  6. harleymhs Win User
    That doesn't work and I don't have those options you describe..

harleymhs, Jan 16, 2016
  7. harleymhs Win User
    I don't have any of these settings! I do have them in Win 7 not in Win 10, no option to dim the display !

harleymhs, Jan 16, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Can you do screenshots ?
    If yes, show me yours, please.

davidhk, Jan 16, 2016
  9. b1rd Win User
    I just checked mine on a Desktop and I don't have that option either. (Win-10). Is this perhaps a power saving option which is not present in Desktops?

Edit: And if you notice, neither harleymhs or my screenshots show the "On Battery" or "Plugged In" options, which seems to indicate that it is an option for battery powered devices only.

10. AndreyT Win User
    The first and most important question that for some unexplainable reason has not been asked yet:

What kind of machine are you talking about? Desktop or laptop?

You cannot "dim the display" on a desktop computer with a standalone display. There's no such functionality in Windows 10 or Windows 7 or any other Windows. There has never been.

Genuine "LCD display dimming" is acheved by controlling the LCD display's backlight brightness. This is only possible with laptop LCD displays. This is what the slider in Power Settings does. And the reason it is located in Power Settings is that reducing backlight brighness saves battery power (and power savings is the primary reason such dimming is implemented on laptops).

Some exclusive models of desktop diplays can support something like this but this is a rare niche feature, mostly oriented on proffesional image-processing market. Regular desktop displays cannot be "dimmed" in that way. You are not supposed to have any Windows-native brightness controls in a run-of-the-mill desktop Windows setup.

(You can usually adjust display brigntness through video card settings, but that's a different story that is based on a completely different principle.)

AndreyT, Jan 16, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Control Panel > Power Options > at the bottom, is there a Screen brightness option on your desktop ?

davidhk, Jan 16, 2016
  12. b1rd Win User
    No, there's not. I also put ticks in the other options, such as "balanced" and no change. I am running Win-10 1511 / 10586.63.

I also noticed that you have some additional plans listed that I don't. I'm not sure if those are custom plans that you set up or not, but there's a difference in that too.

Edit: And I just noted that you have "Windows Mobility Center" link toward the lower left corner, under the "See Also" section, which I'm missing. This has to be a mobility power option, which would not be applicable in a Desktop.

13. davidhk Win User

The one I posted on Post #9 is from my Win 10 Home 64-bit laptop.
    Here is one from my Win 10 Pro 32-bit laptop.

davidhk, Jan 16, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    I have no idea why I have something you 2 don't have.

Maybe that is the difference between a laptop and a desktop.

davidhk, Jan 16, 2016
  15. b1rd Win User
    Curious myself.

Perhaps somebody else with a Desktop might be able to post their options?

Thema:

1. Where is "Dim the Display" option in WIn 10? - Similar Threads - Where Dim Display

2. Display dim after 20s

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display dim after 20s: Hi!Since some update ago my display dims after exactly 20 seconds of inactivity. In fact, it does not dim, this seems to be a software effect. The reason why I make this deduction is because all of the background lowers in brightness but the mouse pointer stays the same...
  3. Display auto-dim

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display auto-dim: The display brightness on my LG gram 16" always changes to 50% when I wake the laptop. I already disabled auto-brightness in Settings, kept all drivers & the system up-to-date, and changed power options in Control Panel; but still doesn't work. This started happening on...
  4. Display auto-dim

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display auto-dim: The display brightness on my LG gram 16" always changes to 50% when I wake the laptop. I already disabled auto-brightness in Settings, kept all drivers & the system up-to-date, and changed power options in Control Panel; but still doesn't work. This started happening on...
  5. Display auto-dim

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows 10 How to dim display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 How to dim display: Trying to figure out how to set my screen to dim after x time idle but I'm not seeing a way to accomplish this. Super annoying as my screensaver is the same brightness as my active screen at night. The old "dim after" power settings under display no longer exist.[ATTACH]...
  7. NO DISPLAY OF SIGN-IN OPTIONS ON WIN 10 LOG-ON SCREEN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    NO DISPLAY OF SIGN-IN OPTIONS ON WIN 10 LOG-ON SCREEN: recently, my windows no longer display the sign-in option so I can select which method to log on with. just the usual enter password. so I'm unable to use my hello PIN or picture etc to log on. hoe do I fix that?...
  8. Display Automatic Dimming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display Automatic Dimming: If I try to watch a video on my laptop, the screen will automatically dim its contrast once the mouse icon disappears. How do I get this automatic diming and dulling of the display screen to remain as vibrant as it should be....
  9. Where is Dim Display in Control Panel?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where is Dim Display in Control Panel?: Hey Guys, I just got a new system , I always had in power options in control panel to "DIM THE DISPLAY" and now in win 10 there is no option to dim the display .. I thought it had to do with the Nvida driver .. or something like that ... Anyone know how to add this option?...
  10. Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Dim display after" from Power Options in Windows The Dim display after setting in Power Options allows users to specify how long in minutes your computer is inactive before the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dim display option windows 10

2. dim the display option windows 10