Windows 10: Where is Excel in W10? Why can I NOT set it as default app for a specific file?

Discus and support Where is Excel in W10? Why can I NOT set it as default app for a specific file? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Why is everything so difficult and why is Microsoft trying to force me to use something, or trying to prevent me from using something? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sbi1, Jun 26, 2019.

1. sbi1 Win User

Where is Excel in W10? Why can I NOT set it as default app for a specific file?

Hello,

Why is everything so difficult and why is Microsoft trying to force me to use something, or trying to prevent me from using something?

I want to set up Excel as the default app for .xml files.

Cannot be done.

Excel will not show up as an option and it cannot be found in the computer. It's hidden....

Is there a way to find it even though Microsoft doesn't want me to?

Thank you.

:)

2. How to make Excel stop prompting to set a default app.

(1) It is difficult to set a default SPREADSHEET app: the initial page only lists 6 types of default apps, and "spreadsheet" is not one of them. Then, if you try to "Choose default apps by protocol", there is no spreadsheet listing.

2) Then, when you "Choose default apps by file type", and set Excel as the default app for the major ones (including .xlsx), Excel still prompts me to set one.

3) Then, when I went back to "Choose default apps by file type", and tried to set an app for the remaining types that have description "Microsoft Excel...." -- for example ".xld" (Microsoft Excel 5.0 DialogSheet), and ".xlxml" (Microsoft Excel XML Worksheet),
    then Microsoft Excel IS NOT OFFERED as an app -- only "Look for an app in the store". (This, even though I have Excel 2016 installed, and have ALREADY SET it as the default for other file types.) And then, if you go to Excel and select "Excel 2016" at the
    store... THAT DOESN'T SET IT AS THE DEFAULT, EITHER.

(Since there is no longer a Microsoft Connect, available to non-developers, this is posted here.)

Doug_Ivison, Jun 26, 2019
  3. How to pin an Excel 2007 file to the W10 Start fly-out menu

I have W10 and Excel 2007.

I commonly use a file XYZ.xlsx, and I'd like to be able to do the following.

Click Start --> hover over the arrow to the right of Excel 2007 --> show jump list --> click on XYZ.xlsx, either under the "Pinned" or the "Recent" section.

However, when I do the steps above, nothing shows under "Pinned", even though I've pinned XYZ.xlsx inside Excel 2007, I've opened, saved and closed the file several times, etc. Somehow W10 still doesn't know this is a file I want to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vince

Uncle Vinny, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Where is Excel in W10? Why can I NOT set it as default app for a specific file?

My apps (excel) to show up as an option for default apps

Hi Calman,

You can associate the .xls file type with Microsoft Excel through the Settings app in Windows 10. Here's how:

• Click Start, and then Settings.
    • Go to Apps > Default apps.
    • Scroll down and then click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • In the list of file types, locate .xls, and then click on its corresponding app or
      Choose a default.
    • Choose Excel from the list of apps.

We hope this helps. Let us know if you encounter further issues.

Patricia Yu, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Where is Excel in W10? Why can I NOT set it as default app for a specific file?

1. Where is Excel in W10? Why can I NOT set it as default app for a specific file? - Similar Threads - Where Excel W10

2. Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?: I have read this question, as I also use vim for my editinghttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-default-app-for-filetypes-not-listed/b01cb589-f8e2-4186-a0f6-02ee0f15babeand searched and you can change the default open app for .bat files but have...
  3. Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?: I have read this question, as I also use vim for my editinghttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-default-app-for-filetypes-not-listed/b01cb589-f8e2-4186-a0f6-02ee0f15babeand searched and you can change the default open app for .bat files but have...
  4. Unable to set excel as default for .xslx files in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to set excel as default for .xslx files in windows 11: Hi everyone!I have a question about how to change the default app for .xlsx files in windows 11I have excel up and running and when I click on "open with" I see excel and can open the file, but I can't make it the default doubleclick option.I tried changing it with no...
  5. How to set default options with OneDrive. Specifically set file display as List default...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set default options with OneDrive. Specifically set file display as List default...: I am using Edge as my browser and all available Win 10 updates have been applied. I can set my preferred option to display OneDrive files as a List but how do I set this as the default option so that I do not have to change it every time I go to OneDrive. I do not...
  6. Set default app for .file type file

Set default app for .file type file: how to set default app for .file type file we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available. Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-default-app-for-file-type-file/c449afd5-2eff-4f3b-8faf-8ce7ced50f30
  7. I want to set the Default App TO The blanked DEFAULT.. NO APP can open this file.. PICK...

I want to set the Default App TO The blanked DEFAULT.. NO APP can open this file.. PICK...: People in Windows NT 5 Pro one could set the default file to APP association to nothing.. as in NULL or NULLITES. ZIPPO NO association to any app on this file extension. So Do people have to create a HACKER Black book on how to do this.....
  8. Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for tsv files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for tsv files: Hello, I was attempting to assign a new application to open files, such as .tsv files, however no MS Office app is listed in the menu. Upon trying to find Excel, I discovered there is no "Office" folder in either Program Files nor in Program Files (x86). A search for...
  9. Setting Defaults by App or File

Setting Defaults by App or File: I recently bought a new 1Tb SSD drive to use as my system drive, I have been trying to associate opening of xml files in either Notepad++ or Sublime Text 3 I have seen many "Solutions" through Google however none seem to work for me. The "Set defaults by app" doesn't show...
  10. Setting default app with "Select File"

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default app with "Select File": Back when I ran Windows 7 and before i was made to update to Windows 10 because I built a Ryzen system, I could set a default app by clicking a button that would open the file explorer and letting me select the executable. I am not seeing that in Windows 10, how do I select...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. set default app for excel

2. .xld no default app

3. w10 spreadsheet app