Windows 10: Where is install.wim supposed to be?

Discus and support Where is install.wim supposed to be? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Some time after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I tried to create a recovery drive using Paragon's Recovery Media Builder (RMB). But it fails... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Eksy61, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Eksy61 Win User

Where is install.wim supposed to be?

Some time after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I tried to create a recovery drive using Paragon's Recovery Media Builder (RMB). But it fails with Error 15: Unable to find install.wim. (I never had that problem on Windows 7.)

OK, I understand that I was probably left with install.esd, not install.wim. I found install.esd at
    C:\ESD\Windows\sources\install.esd

And I used a tool to convert install.esd to install.wim. But Paragon RMB still can't find it. I tried to move the install.wim to various folders, but with no success.

Where is the "standard" location for install.wim? That's probably where RMB is looking for it. It doesn't give you any way to specify a particular folder.

:)

Eksy61, Jun 11, 2016

2. where is the push pin setting that is supposed to be in settings?

Hi Charlotte,

As of the time being, that option is not present in Microsoft Edge. We recommend that you post your suggestions in the feedback app so that we can consider it for future updates.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Jun 11, 2016
  3. where is the push pin setting that is supposed to be in settings?

how do you get to the push pin setting in edge? I don't have one in mine. How do you get to it?

CharlotteBeebe, Jun 11, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Jun 11, 2016
  5. Eksy61 Win User
    I already have the install.wim. (I created it by converting from install.esd.)

But Paragon's RMB is looking for it and can't find it. So I'm asking where is the most likely folder that RMB is looking in. Is there some "standard" folder that install.wim is supposed to be in? Just tell me which folder it's supposed to be in, and I'll move the install.wim into it.

Eksy61, Jun 11, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Sources folder.

Where is install.wim supposed to be? [​IMG]

davidhk, Jun 11, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    install.wim is not part of a normal Windows installation. It comes from a downloaded ISO (shown above) or is put in "C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Install.esd" when you upgrade to Windows 10. There you need to convert it to install.wim as you did.

There is no normal folder for it after that. There should be some way to identify it to Paragon RMB. I have never used that program so don't know for sure, I always use Rufus to create bootable flash drives for Windows or Linux.

Edit: If you just need a working WindowsPE download Kyhi's. See here: Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Where is install.wim supposed to be? - Similar Threads - Where install wim

2. Square box on taskbar clock where ":" is supposed to be.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Square box on taskbar clock where ":" is supposed to be.: It appeared for no reason recently, any idea on how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/square-box-on-taskbar-clock-where-is-supposed-to/4ee7ff0f-3a0f-4c1e-96ba-9a413669fe1c
  3. Square box on taskbar clock where ":" is supposed to be.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Square box on taskbar clock where ":" is supposed to be.: It appeared for no reason recently, any idea on how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/square-box-on-taskbar-clock-where-is-supposed-to/4ee7ff0f-3a0f-4c1e-96ba-9a413669fe1c
  4. Square box on taskbar clock where ":" is supposed to be.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 20H2 WIM - install Language Pack

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 20H2 WIM - install Language Pack: Hi all, I cannot find the language pack file for updating my Windows 10 20H2 WIM. These ISOs are my only options. [ATTACH] I downloaded these both; copied out the en-gb\lp.cab Mounted the WIM in DISM in CMD and in PowerShell - tried both Ran the command to install the...
  6. In Paint 3D, where is this supposed "Export" Option?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In Paint 3D, where is this supposed "Export" Option?: I was trying to find the Paint 3D projects I was building, but they were not on OneDrive it is empty, in %localdata%, or in 3D Objects. So I found a response that suggested how to export the projects to my file system, here:...
  7. Where am I suppose to put applications?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where am I suppose to put applications?: Sorry if it's a stupid question, but when you download an application where is the intended folder to best keep it organized? Are you suppose to put it in one of the hidden program files folders, just create your own folder ect... what was the intended design? submitted by...
  8. Windows forget where they ares supposed to be 3 monitor setup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows forget where they ares supposed to be 3 monitor setup: Hi there, I have been running 3 screens for a while. 2x 27" 1080p monitors, these are positioned side by side and above my new LG 38GL950G-B 38" ultra wide screen. So before I got the LG screen I had another 1080p 40" screen at the bottom which I never had any issues with...
  9. Have "Documents" and "Videos" where they are supposed to be

in Windows 10 Support
    Have "Documents" and "Videos" where they are supposed to be: Hello, I apologize for not giving a proper question title, but I don't know what exactly I'm asking for. I'm the most computer illiterate person you will see. First some background information This is a new computer my Dad got for me, so I was trying to transfer all of my...
  10. Windows Installation Media - Nameless WIM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Installation Media - Nameless WIM: A few months back, I created a Win10 Installation media. I used sysprep/DISM to capture it and, it has been working great. However, I'm testing an AutoUnattend.xml file with it today. Up 'til now, it's only been used for manual installations. When I use DISM to take a peek at...