Windows 10: Where is My App? HEVC

Discus and support Where is My App? HEVC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I bought an HEVC extension, something or other, it asks for my MS password, enter it, then asks again and says it's wrong. I mean, I bought it, what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by 123pugsy, Jan 12, 2021.

1. 123pugsy Win User

Where is My App? HEVC

I bought an HEVC extension, something or other, it asks for my MS password, enter it, then asks again and says it's wrong.

I mean, I bought it, what do I have to do to use it?

I bought it using my home email address account so I could run it thru my PayPal w/o issue. I'm on my 5 year old PC at work though. Could they be asking for a password from this work PC that I never set because I just don't care who looks at it?

I have clients emailing HEIC pics and keep telling them, like an idiot, that I can't view them.

:)

123pugsy, Jan 12, 2021
  2. akgt94 Win User

Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

This was working for me in the Anniversary Update and Creators Update, but has been slowly going downhill after the Fall Creators Update (build 1709). After updating to the Fall Creators Update, I could sometimes get thumbnails to show up in Explorer, sometimes
    not. I could sometimes get HEVC video to play in Movies & TV and Movie Moments, sometimes not. Now File Explorer won't create any HEVC thumbnails and HEVC video won't play in any of the Microsoft desktop or metro apps.

Here's what I've been able to piece together from a couple of different sources:

• Microsoft removed native HEVC support from the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
    • If you applied a feature update from a previous version (Creators, etc.), you were supposed to retain HEVC support. Wasn't quite true for me, which is how I found this thread. The work-around I mentioned in a previous reply has now stopped working.
    • Update KB4041994 enables SOME systems to ADD HEVC support back. There's a hidden app in the Microsoft Store called "HEVC Video Extension". Windows may add it manually. The app only enables HARDWARE HEVC decoding.
      You need a video card or processor released within the last ~year to get it though (Kaby Lake, Kaby Lake Refresh and Coffee Lake, and GPUs like AMD's RX 400, RX 500 and RX Vega 56/64, and Nividia's GeForce GTX 1000 and GTX 950 and 960 series.)
    • One of the sources suggests software HEVC decoding might become available as a paid app in the Windows Store in the future. No further info available.
    I did a clean install of the Fall Creators Update in Virtualbox. Applied all the updates and installed the "HEVC Video Extension" from the store. MP4 opens in Movies & TV metro app; HEVC video is blank, but HE-AAC audio plays. The slow folder refresh issue
    with HEVC files exists.

I have a mid-range desktop processor and video card from early 2013. VLC plays 1080p HEVC using just a couple of percent CPU. I can encode 480p 30FPS in real time using the x.265 Medium preset. My system doesn't need hardware-accelerated encoding / decoding.

As for the original issue. I took someone's suggestion and installed Icaros. Explorer refresh is speedy and I get thumbnails not only for HEVC MP4/MKV, but also FLV (like Icaros claims - anything FFMPEG can decode).

Additional info:

akgt94, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Computer HEVC Compatibility

Hi, I am considering buying a Go Pro Hero 6 and I noticed that for some video shooting modes it uses HEVC. I am not sure if my computer is compatible with HEVC, and I would like to know. Here are my computer's specifications,

• Windows 10
    • Intel I7 core processor
    • Graphics card: Nvidia Ge-Force 940m
    • It is an HP Envy 1 Terabyte Bang& Olufsen Laptop

If any more specifications need to be listed to determine if my computer in HEVC compatible I will be happy to list them. Thank you!

LukeyBaDukey, Jan 12, 2021
  4. JonBland Win User

Where is My App? HEVC

HEVC HEIC integration not completed?

To add HEIF support to Windows 10, use these steps:

Open web browser.

Use this Microsoft Store link to get to the HEVC extension.

Click the Get button.

Click the Open Microsoft Store button.

Click the Install button.

Use this Microsoft Store link to get to the HEIF extension.

Click the Get button.

Click the Open Microsoft Store button.

Click the Install button.

After you complete the steps, you should be able to view files encoded using the HEIF container with Photos or another compatible app, such as Microsoft Paint.

In the case that you already have the codecs installed, and you're still unable to view images and videos with the Photos app, then you can reset the packages to solve the most common issues.

Resetting the HEIF extension

To fix the HEIF extension on Windows 10, use these steps:

Open Settings.

Click on Apps & features.

Under the "Apps & features" section, select the HEIF Image Extensions item.

Click the Advanced options.

Click the Reset button.

Click the Reset button again.

Once you complete the steps, close the Photos app, and try to open the image one more time.

Resetting the HEVC extension

To fix the HEVC extension on Windows 10, use these steps:

Open Settings.

Click on Apps & features.

Under the "Apps & features" section, select the HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer item.

Click the Advanced options.

Click the Reset button.

Click the Reset button again.

After you complete the steps, close the Photos app, and try to play the same video encoded with the HEIF container one more time using Photos, Windows Media Player, or another compatible app.

JonBland, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Where is My App? HEVC

1. Where is My App? HEVC - Similar Threads - Where App HEVC

2. does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?: Hello everyone, I just bought a samsung S23 phone and the video has changed to HEVC, I got it working finally by downloading codecs and vlc player etc although I prefer WMP when I have the choice anyway, there is an app in the microsoft store that claims to work too, but it...
  3. does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?: Hello everyone, I just bought a samsung S23 phone and the video has changed to HEVC, I got it working finally by downloading codecs and vlc player etc although I prefer WMP when I have the choice anyway, there is an app in the microsoft store that claims to work too, but it...
  4. does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. HEVC

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HEVC: Is there any legal way to get the HEVC codec for free? I really need it for a video. Any help would be greatly appreciated! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc/a277ab92-25b7-4cd9-9b68-2892f5f0a0f0
  6. HEVC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC: Is there any legal way to get the HEVC codec for free? I really need it for a video. Any help would be greatly appreciated! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc/a277ab92-25b7-4cd9-9b68-2892f5f0a0f0
  7. HEVC

8. HEVC

HEVC: i bought the extension from microsoft HEVC in order to import some videos into adobe premiere elements. i can't find where the extension is now stored on my computer and once i do find it- i don't know what to do with it. I just want my videos imported. thanks...
  9. HEIF and HEVC Media Extention app

HEIF and HEVC Media Extention app: I bought this app from Microsoft so I could open photos from a cell phone. I can not find the app to install. How do I put this on my computer. Nothing came up to install or open it....
  10. where are my apps

where are my apps: Where are my apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/where-are-my-apps/17e4bcb2-8b8d-4ccb-ae62-763a840f0fce