Windows 10: Where is the file search box in Win 10?

Discus and support Where is the file search box in Win 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Win 7, one clicked on Start and you could then search for any file in your entire computer by entering its name (or part of it's name) in the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ecbritz, Aug 6, 2015.

1. ecbritz Win User

Where is the file search box in Win 10?

In Win 7, one clicked on Start and you could then search for any file in your entire computer by entering its name (or part of it's name) in the file search box. In Win 10, you have to ask Cortana who won't locate a file for you. Where has the file search box covering all data files on the computer moved to?

:)

ecbritz, Aug 6, 2015

2. where is the search box in windows 10?

Happy to help. BTW Start 10 is exactly what I use too. Just did not want to recommend it.

Thanks for letting us know & good luck

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 6, 2015
  3. nmjman Win User
    where is the search box in windows 10?

where is the search box in windows 10?

Hello

I maybe not the most technical minded person in the world,but since downloading windows 10 I have being unable to locate the general search box which used to be there with win 8

I would have thought logically it would have being there when you click on the win button bottom left along with all the apps e.t.c. but no its not

very odd

hope someone can help

Regards Steve

nmjman, Aug 6, 2015
  4. badcat Win User

Just type Win key + S and you should see the search box pop up.

Alternatively, you can right-click on the start button and select search from the menu.

badcat, Aug 6, 2015
  5. waves Win User
    i can still search by clicking start and typing filenames?

what i'm wondering is if there's a way to search from a different drive, not just drive c

waves, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Gerwalk Win User
    I'm trying to search for a folder and file on my computer (Go to your "Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata" folder and open Gameprefs.Pref) but when I do the application opens up. What can I do?

Honestly, this system seems much more difficult than Win 7.

Gerwalk, Oct 24, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    File Explorer has a search box too, try that...

Where is the file search box in Win 10? [​IMG]

8. Gerwalk Win User

Thank you Bree.

For those interested: Hit the Windows Icon in the lower left of your screen then click on the File Explorer (looks like sorted files) then click on your PC, then Users, then all subfolders search option or search visibly search if you do not have the correct file/folder name which I had to do).

Gerwalk, Oct 24, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    Yes, File Explorer will search downwards from whatever folder you currently have selected, even 'This PC' if you really have no idea where left your documents.

10. DooGie Win User
    As Bree posted. If you have multiple dives and you don't know which one a particular file or folder is on just do a search in File Exporer, This PC.

DooGie, Oct 24, 2016
  11. ramojan Win User
    None of this seems to work for me...

In XP you could click on the start menu > Search > files or folders > type in a part of the file name and select drive or drives.

There appears to be nothing this simple in Windows 10, and I need to use such a facility multiple times each day.

I don't want to know about Cortana or whatever it is, what a load of rubbish! I don't want to search online, just in my own files, and I want it to be as simple as it used to be.

Can anyone help?

ramojan, Jan 26, 2017
  12. I can see no problem using the Cortana "Ask me anything" search box next to the Windows Icon... I have just tried searching for a few files and it works perfect everytime...

If I type "letters" it shows everything related to "Letters" including any in My Document folders.

stuarttunstall, Jan 26, 2017
  13. ramojan Win User

Well, for a start it's not on the task bar for me... and then it doesn't offer me any means of finding file names I want found. Nothing.

It's useless as far as I can see. I need something which offers me an option where I put part of a file name in there and it finds it for me.

ramojan, Jan 26, 2017
  14. ramojan Win User
    Just to show what I mean, here is the result:

So let's say I have a file named 'snowintrees' on my F drive, but I don't know where it is, how do I get the computer to find it?

And while we're there, why am I now getting a new window of 'File Explorer' every time I click on something?

ramojan, Jan 26, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    File Explorer, search This PC (if you know it's on F: search F:\)- fast if it's in an indexed location, but will find it eventually in an unindexed location...

Thema:

1. Where is the file search box in Win 10? - Similar Threads - Where file search

2. File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10: There used to be a drop down list of recent searches with an option to remove them individually in the Windows 10 File Explorer Search text box that would open as soon as you click into the search box.Is there a way to restore this?...
  3. File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10: There used to be a drop down list of recent searches with an option to remove them individually in the Windows 10 File Explorer Search text box that would open as soon as you click into the search box.Is there a way to restore this?...
  4. File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 search box searched the internet, but not my hard drive!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 search box searched the internet, but not my hard drive!: I'm trying to uninstall a program on my computer. I tried the apps uninstall fnstructions, but was stuck when I entered the app's name in the Search Box. Instead of looking for the program on my hard drive, it referred me to the internet, and right back to the uninstall...
  6. Win 10 file explorer's folder search box behavior

Win 10 file explorer's folder search box behavior: When I open a folderby clicking its icon, and I release the mouse and start typing asearch term, the first character appears in the search box – but it ishighlighted and then disappears as I continue typing the remaining characters....
  7. SEARCH BOX IN WIN 10

in Cortana
    SEARCH BOX IN WIN 10: SEARCH TAB DOES NOT PERMIT FILTERING BY FILE SIZE, DATE, ETC. I CAN MAKE IT APPEAR BY TYPING > INOT THE SEARCH FIELD, BUT THE SEARCH TAB DISAPPEARS AFTER I EXIT. I HAVE TO TYPE THE > SYMBOL EVERY TIME....
  8. File search box

in Windows 10 Support
    File search box: The file search box keeps stopping. Most of the time it is OK, then it wont let me type anything into it in any file. I have run the search and index troubleshooter with no results. It is set to start at startup and run automatically. It will be OK at the next PC startup...
  9. Win 10 Search Box

Win 10 Search Box: In Win 7, searches are available for repeat by down-arrowing the Search box to the Right pane of the particular file. In Win 10 I have to go up to the Ribbon for my list of searches. An exhaustive search on the web provides me with one answer. Can't be done on the Home...
  10. win 10 search box

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 search box: My search box on windows 10 disappears when i click on it to search https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/win-10-search-box/268cfcf8-26e2-4daf-8ab8-5831de3e9f00