Windows 10: Where is the location of the Win 10 start menu files?

Discus and support Where is the location of the Win 10 start menu files? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For whatever reason, even without updates, the start menu no longer works. I can't roll back to a previous version because there was no actual update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SRay363, Dec 10, 2018.

1. SRay363 Win User

Where is the location of the Win 10 start menu files?

For whatever reason, even without updates, the start menu no longer works. I can't roll back to a previous version because there was no actual update. I do not have time to download, customize, and transfer all files to a new account (which is bizarre, seeing as how a start menu repair would be enough). I have access to a working file, but I need the location.

The common repair topics no longer work, and microsoft support is less than helpful. Can anyone help me out?

:)

SRay363, Dec 10, 2018
  2. up2trix Win User

Where are Win 10 Start Menu Program Properties (like "Start in")?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried doing exactly what you said, but after I do the Open file location step, what happens is that a new File Explorer instance is launched which views the folder that contains the tile program. There is (generally speaking) no shortcut inside that folder--instead, that folder contains the real program.

It looks like the old Win 7 Start menu's Properties menu functionality seems to have totally disappeared, I am sad to report.

up2trix, Dec 10, 2018
  3. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Dec 10, 2018
  4. Where is the location of the Win 10 start menu files?

Jeraldine Ase, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

Where is the location of the Win 10 start menu files?

1. Where is the location of the Win 10 start menu files? - Similar Threads - Where location start

2. Win 10: where are pinned tiles in start menu located?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10: where are pinned tiles in start menu located?: With Win10 pro 21H2 I found that a pinned tile in start menu is broken no icon, though it works as a link. It is the Edge tile to be precise, and the broken icon occurred after a restore system. The rest is ok. Work done:The same broken icon of Edge was also in the taskbar....
  3. Win 10: where are pinned tiles in start menu located?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10: where are pinned tiles in start menu located?: With Win10 pro 21H2 I found that a pinned tile in start menu is broken no icon, though it works as a link. It is the Edge tile to be precise, and the broken icon occurred after a restore system. The rest is ok. Work done:The same broken icon of Edge was also in the taskbar....
  4. Win 10: where are pinned tiles in start menu located?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Open File Location for Start Menu icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open File Location for Start Menu icons: On Windows 10 rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" doesn't open the files' "actual location" but just a folder in which the shortcut is. You then have to rightclick on that shortcut and click on "open file path" or whatever it is in english to...
  6. Win 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 start menu: I go to the start menu to shutdown, I click on the window icon the normal options appear, but before I can click on anything the start menu closes. trying this repeated gives the same issue. To shutdown I have to right click the start icon and go from there. How do I solve...
  7. Where are the app files on start menu located?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where are the app files on start menu located?: I have all these preinstalled apps on my start menu, many of which I do not know where their .exe files are located on my machine. Netflix, Evernote, Powerdirector, Paint 3D, there is no open file location when i right click on these apps, they seemed to work fine, but where...
  8. Where is the Microsoft Edge's Start Menu shortcut located?

in Browsers and Email
    Where is the Microsoft Edge's Start Menu shortcut located?: So I want to change the Start Menu Tile background colour for Microsoft Edge. By default, it has blueish tile background. I want blackish/greyish tile background. Let me explain my need with the help of this screenshot: [img] See how Microsoft Edge's tile is blueish while...
  9. Where is the Microsoft Edge's Start Menu shortcut located?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where is the Microsoft Edge's Start Menu shortcut located?: So I want to change the Start Menu Tile background colour for Microsoft Edge. By default, it has blueish tile background. I want blackish/greyish tile background. Let me explain my need with the help of this screenshot: [img] See how Microsoft Edge's tile is blueish while...
  10. Where are Win 10 Start Menu Program Properties (like "Start in")?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where are Win 10 Start Menu Program Properties (like "Start in")?: Guys, I was just forced at work to change my beloved Win 7 box to Win 10 spyware as a service. One aspect of Win 10 that I cannot figure out is how I can access Properties for the programs that I have added to the Start Menu. In Win 7, if I left click on the Start Menu,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu location on c drive win 10

2. location of startmenu win 10