Windows 10: Where is Wallpaper stored?

Discus and support Where is Wallpaper stored? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I changed the wallpaper on my Preview version and it also changed the wallpaper on my production system. But, I can't find the original wallpaper... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by fireberd, Dec 12, 2016.

1. fireberd Win User

Where is Wallpaper stored?

I changed the wallpaper on my Preview version and it also changed the wallpaper on my production system. But, I can't find the original wallpaper picture. I found the location for the pictures that come with Win 10, but not my original picture. Surely its in a folder somewhere.

:)

fireberd, Dec 12, 2016

2. Screen Lock wallpaper

I set Bing as screen lock wallpaper, every day it set new wallpaper , is old wallpaper save in memory if yes then where?

Rajmal Menariya, Dec 12, 2016
  3. Vijayan92 Win User
    Background Screen

Where Is The Windows 10 Background Screen Wallpaper And Lock Screen Wallpaper Stored?

Vijayan92, Dec 12, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I believe it's in one of the subFolders under Windows. I found it the other day on a Win8.1 machine using File Explorer Search but I knew the name of the image, it had come from a camera. Unfortunately I didn't write down the Folder name, probably was in the WinSXS Folder.

Berton, Dec 12, 2016
  5. fireberd Win User
    I'll take another look, I did a search on the entire drive for *.jpg and it didn't show up. I tried *.bmp and it didn't show up there either.
    As I noted, I did find the built in wallpaper, in the Windows folder.

fireberd, Dec 12, 2016
  6. fireberd Win User
    I did another search and didn't find the picture. It looks like it is gone.

fireberd, Dec 12, 2016
  7. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Dec 13, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

Also, you may find what you're looking for in:
    C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

... copy the transcoded wallpaper files to the desktop and rename them something.jpg

Edwin, Dec 13, 2016
  9. fireberd Win User
    TrustMe, I've looked at the location you suggest and they are not there.

Edwin, what is in that folder is only the current wallpaper image, nothing else.

Thanks.

fireberd, Dec 13, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Perhaps this is what you need:
    C:\Windows\Web
    and its subfolders.

dalchina, Dec 15, 2016
  11. fireberd Win User
    The missing wallpaper graphic is not in the Web location. That was one of the locations I looked at before posting the thread.
    It is apparently gone. I've done a complete drive search of *.jpg and *.bmp and it was not found.

fireberd, Dec 15, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    These are what's there on mine:

Where is Wallpaper stored? [​IMG]

..and this is what I see in Settings

but for my ACTUAL wallpaper I use a wallpaper changer program, with one source being a large folder of fairly carefully chosen pictures against which things show clearly, e.g. limited colour range or suitable landscape, changing when I log on.

dalchina, Dec 15, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 15, 2016
  14. fireberd Win User
    Thanks Shawn. All that did was show the background file that was in Firefox. It didn't show any others (??)
    I still have it installed, I didn't remove it yet.

However, it helped me find it. The Firefox location was in Roaming. I looked at others in Roaming and found it under Internet Explorer. I had looked at Roaming before but didn't look at the Internet Explorer as I use Edge.

Jack *Biggrin

fireberd, Dec 15, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it was able to help some Jack. *Smile

Brink, Dec 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Where is Wallpaper stored? - Similar Threads - Where Wallpaper stored

2. where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?: The wallpaper/spotlight shown on the monitor when Windows is sleeping shows nice pictures of different places. Sometimes in the upper right corner of the screen there is a description of what the picture shows and the question whether you like what you see; other times...
  3. where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?: The wallpaper/spotlight shown on the monitor when Windows is sleeping shows nice pictures of different places. Sometimes in the upper right corner of the screen there is a description of what the picture shows and the question whether you like what you see; other times...
  4. where is the description for Windows wallpaper/spotlight stored?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Where to get official Windows 10 Wallpapers?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where to get official Windows 10 Wallpapers?: Hi Community, I changed my desktop wallpaper many times but now I want to go back to official Windows 10 wallpapers which comes with Windows 10 but I can't find them in Settings>Personalization>Background. Regards, Avinash...
  6. Where to find this undesired wallpaper?

Where to find this undesired wallpaper?: Accidentally I set a screenshot as wallpaper, probably using one of IrfanViews keyboard shortcuts. Now, when I open the settings to change my desktop background, that undesired image is there among those of the system's themes and stuff. ▼ [img] I searched for it in all...
  7. Where to find this undesired wallpaper?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where to find this undesired wallpaper?: Accidentally I set a screenshot as wallpaper, probably using one of IrfanViews keyboard shortcuts. Now, when I open the settings to change my desktop background, that undesired image is there among those of the system's themes and stuff. ▼ [img] I searched for it in all...
  8. Where are my wallpapers stored at on my Microsoft Account?

Where are my wallpapers stored at on my Microsoft Account?: I know this seems like a weird/vague question, but here is the scenario. When I make a brand new PC or VM and I log into windows for the first time using my Microsoft credentials my desktop background wallpaper theme auto shows up. I have gone into:...
  9. Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Where are desktop backgrounds (wallpapers) stored in Windows 10?: The Windows 10 operating system comes with a set of wallpapers and the ability to refresh wallpapers regularly from a pool of images. The following guide provides users of Windows 10 with instructions on finding these wallpapers on the local system. Let's say you want to use...
  10. Login Screen Wallpapers Where are They?

Login Screen Wallpapers Where are They?: I like the new wallpapers that show up on the login screen but where are they? I would like to set them as my background for my desktop. 56438