Windows 10: Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process?

Discus and support Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last week I ordered my in-laws a desktop upgrade in the form of an SSD. Having done many boot drive swaps before, I figured this would be no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Relequestual2, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process?

Last week I ordered my in-laws a desktop upgrade in the form of an SSD.

Having done many boot drive swaps before, I figured this would be no different.

Previously, I would use a ubuntu live cd to boot, copy the image over, and resize to match the new drive size.

Remembering the problem with having to re-validate the windows install, I decided to try the windows 10 in built method, using system image creation and restore.

I followed the instructions as per

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-10/84fa6683-e3ac-4e93-9139-368af9267869

and

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-restore-a-windows-10-system-image-to-an/e20992ca-5641-4f7c-bb09-3895d0732162

The HDD I was removing was 1TB in size, but only used about 100GB, so I repartitioned to about 150GB and a new parition for the remainder.

I then did the system image creation from the first few partitions onto the latter there were some OEM parition... it's a DELL desktop. I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I then swapped the drives over phsyically. I have an external dock.

I then proceeded to boot from USB with windows recovery pre-loaded as per the instructions, and started the restore process from the image. It took about 3 hours USB 1.1 speeds... I know, I know.

Seemingly no problem...

When I rebooted, turned off the external dock, and removed the USB... the new SSD was empty. No partitions, not even a partition table.

I verified this with the ubuntu live cd.

Wondering if the new SSD was defective, I kept the old HDD docked, turned off.

I created a partition on the SSD, and proceeded to install Windows 10. This worked fine, and it booted into windows.

Then from inside the new windows install, I opted for a system image restore, which rebooted into the USB windows restore system.

I proceeded to do the restore again, which this time allowed me to select a target system, Windows 10.

I assumed this must be the new installation, as it wasn't previously provided as an option.

The restore completed without error after another 3 hours...

Again, I rebooted, removing the external dock and USB containing windows recovery system.

... and again, the restore operation seemed to have no effect, as the temporary user account I created for the newly installed windows 10 was still there I checked if there was another user... there was not.

Does anyone have any ideas to why the system image restore process appeared to not work AND did not present any errors?

I wondered if it had, somehow, both times, restored to the original partition on the SAME drive, rather than the new drive, but given the first time I wasn't presented with a destination location, and the sectond time I was given the option to select the new windows 10 install as the target, I conclude that should not have been the case.

As a result, I'm at a total loss as to what might have happened.

I'm a technical expert and a developer.

I'm due to go back next weekend to attempt this process again, but I'll opt to use the "old sytle" method, working with the system image directly in ubuntu.

:)

Relequestual2, Jul 15, 2020

2. Windows 10 System image restore.

Plenty of warts....

I remember once all most used programs disappeared from the start menu list

I restored a system image I had where they all were there = Of course I was disconnected from the internet when I restored the image and yes most used programs were listed Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process? :)

As soon as I connected to the internet they were gone again Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process? :)

Restored the image again

Didn't boot to win-10 for a month or so and they didn't disappear then so it just shows how weird win-10 can be and how cool system images can be using the right utility to create them Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process? :)

ThrashZone, Jul 15, 2020
  3. System Image Restoration in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I would like you to answer the following questions:

• Could you please tell me are you facing any issue with your Windows 10 computer?
    • Could you please explain in detail “Windows 10 restoration of system Image affects all the existing partitions instead of only C:\”?
    When we create system image, by default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer
    if your hard disk or computer ever stops working.

In Windows 10 We have an option to select other drives while creating System Image backup. If you have selected other drives too when creating System Image backup it will affect those drives too.

I suggest you to create a system image and check.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below methods.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.

• Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.

• Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.

• Select the driver, where you want to Create system Image.

• Follow on screen instruction.
    Please get back to us with the updated information. WE will be happy to assist you further.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Jul 15, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process?

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process?

1. Where might I have gone wrong with Windows 10 system image restore process? - Similar Threads - Where might gone

2. Having Trouble with Restoring System Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having Trouble with Restoring System Image: So recently I bought a new laptop that runs Windows 11. My old laptop runs Windows 10. I figured that I'd save a system image of my old laptop, restore it on my new laptop, and then re-upgrade my new laptop to Windows 11. I made the system image of my old computer onto a hard...
  3. Having Trouble with Restoring System Image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having Trouble with Restoring System Image: So recently I bought a new laptop that runs Windows 11. My old laptop runs Windows 10. I figured that I'd save a system image of my old laptop, restore it on my new laptop, and then re-upgrade my new laptop to Windows 11. I made the system image of my old computer onto a hard...
  4. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  5. Restoring Windows 10 System Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Windows 10 System Image: Is it possible to install recovery media on the same external hard drive as the system image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-windows-10-system-image/1737c692-1129-4665-ad09-81159c764e5b
  6. SSD Storage gone after using a system restore image

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Storage gone after using a system restore image: Hi guys, Yesterday I reinstalled Windows 10 onto my new 1TB SSD after a few months of not having it. After installing I decided to use my system restore image so i can get all files and apps back. Once that was completed, I noticed that i got a notification saying that...
  7. Windows 10 system image restore

Windows 10 system image restore: Saved an image of Windows 10 ssd along with data hard drive , attempted to restore using recovery CD, the data drive was copied but the system image restore failed with message 0x80070057 "The parameter is incorrect". I am using two new target drives . I have looked at about...
  8. Where have my image thumbnails gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where have my image thumbnails gone?: When I opened folders such as Pictures, Camera Roll, Screenshots the images within used to be instantly previewed with thumbnails. This has stopped, perhaps as a result of October update. So far I have not found how to restore this feature. Advice please. 129900
  9. shortcuts on desktop disappeared where might they have gone ?

in Windows 10 Support
    shortcuts on desktop disappeared where might they have gone ?: They were there yesterday but not today. Two symbols are in the task bar, a back arrow & a circle, that were not there yesterday. The X at the top right is gone but comes back in red when I move the curser there but disappears when I move the curser off. The minimize _ is...
  10. Restoring system using system image windows 10

Restoring system using system image windows 10: when restoring computer from system image in windows 10, does the target drive have to be at least the same size as the drive containing the image. I'm getting contradictory answers from various forums. also does it have to be an external drive ?...