Windows 10: Where Start menu pinned items info is stored?

Discus and support Where Start menu pinned items info is stored? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; hi! i have had BSOD and my entire start menu pinned items are gone. and i had LOTS of them (almost entire extended start menu filled) all sorted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by zloidooraque, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Where Start menu pinned items info is stored?

hi!

i have had BSOD and my entire start menu pinned items are gone.
    and i had LOTS of them (almost entire extended start menu filled) all sorted and adjusted. too long to recover manually.

i have system partition backup image. but it would be stupid to recover whole system cuz of start menu (lots of changes will be lost too)
    so i need to find a way to export those settings from mounted back up and import them to main system (i know how to mount registry hive also, in case it is needed).

i know there are export-startlayout and import-startlayout commands for powershell so i was thinking about making virtual machine out of backup. but after some reading it looks too complicated. too bad i didn't know about export-startlayout earlier lol.

so, maybe someone know where these settings are stored?

:)

zloidooraque, Oct 4, 2016
  2. C.R.Akita Win User

undoing pinned start folder

Right clicking a folder or drive in file explorer gives the option of pinning it to the start menu. Did that with a mapped drive where I keep photos. Now I have all the photos and subfolders pinned to my start menu. Other than unpinning item by item,
    is there a way to undo the whole thing or, alternately, how can multiple items be selected in the start menu so that multiples could be unpinned at once?

C.R.Akita, Oct 4, 2016
  3. How does one create shortcuts to start applications?

Right-click a pinned item in the Start menu, click "More", "Open File location".

This opens the Start menu\Programs folder where you can assign shortcut key for each .lnk file.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 4, 2016
  4. Try3 Win User

Where Start menu pinned items info is stored?

Your Start menu pinned items are in "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu"

I suspect that the problem you are experiencing has wiped the entries from this folder. So knowing the location can only help you prepare for future failures by backing up the location whenever you make changes to it.

Denis

5. that's not correct. as i understand it was a case in previous windows versions, but i am on 10th.
    i've seen this path in some guides/articles which were concerning, for example, window 7.
    right now, after pinning some shortcuts to start, i can't see it is reflected in said folder and rightfully so, shortcuts that are pinned are actually lying all over c:\users dir. they may belong to user, to default user, may be located in documents folder or appdata folder and so on.

pinning a shortcut means just adding it to some metadata structure, the shortcut itself is not relocated or copied ('m pretty sure). rather, some data is written, i suppose, to the registry, containing the location of actual shortcut on disk and size and position of tile.

nope, again =)
    as i've said, i have full system partition backup. i just can't understand how to retrieve start menu tiles data from it without loading into it and using PowerShell command export-startlayout

thanks for your concern anyway =)

zloidooraque, Oct 10, 2016
  6. Try3 Win User
    You are correct. My notes on the subject are from August 2015 [they are in my Windows 10 folders not my Windows 7 folders] so things must have changed. My test notes include copies of shortcuts I used as test files for this so I must actually have done it rather than just thought it but, having recently reinstalled Windows 10, the folder I said you should look at no longer exists on my computer.

Some, but not all, user pinned shortcuts appear in %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    I have not been able to find those that do not appear here. I included checking the Registry.

Denis

Try3, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Where Start menu pinned items info is stored?

1. Where Start menu pinned items info is stored? - Similar Threads - Where Start menu

2. Where ELSE are Start Menu items stored?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where ELSE are Start Menu items stored?: I know about %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, but where else are Start menu items stored? For example, I want to aggregate all of the Office stuff into a single folder, but none if it is present in either of these two...
  3. Pinned items disappear in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinned items disappear in start menu: I'm facing a problem recently. I pinned some softwares in start menu. But when I turned on my PC again, I saw that they are missing !!! I've pinned again and they disappeared again Would you like to tell me that what's the problem and how can I fix it?...
  4. Where do you find the list of items pinned to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where do you find the list of items pinned to the start menu?: So the curious cat in my head started chasing this around and been having no success in cornering the mouse. Specifically, where does does windows 10 store information about what is pinned to the start menu. Attached screenshot shows: I am interested in the stuff in the red...
  5. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  6. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  7. Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible: I pinned Windows Update to my Start Menu. After some time, I noticed it was gone and tried to re-pin it. But when I right-clicked on the setting, all that showed up was "Unpin from Start." Selecting that option causes the dialog window to crash/close. As things stand, I...
  8. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?: ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings. Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this...
  9. Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10: Hey guys. Lately Windows has started behaving really odd in the way it deals with pinning. It was fine when I first set up win10 but now it doesn't work properly. I want to see if I can resolve this as I really don't feel like wiping and installing everything again....
  10. Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?: Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if that matters. I can right click and select Pin to Start, but nothing happens. Right click again and Pin To Start is still listed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. where-is-the-list-of-pinned-start-menu-and-taskbar-items-stored-in-windows-10

2. Windows 7 Getting Start Items Pinned Lost

3. where are start menu pinned tiles stored

4. 2019 windows 10 where a pinned tiles stored,
  5. windows 2019 start menu changes stored,
  6. where does windows store pinned tile data,
  7. where is start menu database stored,
  8. windows 10 registry key where are stored pinned tile,
  9. where-is-the-list-of-pinned-start-menu-and-taskbar-items-stored-in-windows-7