Windows 10: Where Windows 10 EULA doesn't mention Microsoft compensation or price of a license?

Discus and support Where Windows 10 EULA doesn't mention Microsoft compensation or price of a license? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I 've been recently thinking about putting together a new PC, so I 've looked at various Windows licensing options available. I understand this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/usikpa, Jun 21, 2020.

1. /u/usikpa Win User

Where Windows 10 EULA doesn't mention Microsoft compensation or price of a license?

I 've been recently thinking about putting together a new PC, so I 've looked at various Windows licensing options available.

I understand this is more on the legal side of things, still what made me wonder is this: what exactly will I be purchasing (and paying for) when ordering, say, a key from Microsoft (?) under ESD channel from one of its authorized distributors/partners?

I mean, the Windows 10 EULA really makes it look like the right to use WINDOWS is granted for free, subject to having a valid key and having passed activation. There is just no price or any other compensation for granting that right of use ("a licence") stipulated. Why?

Why is there no mention in EULA that Microsoft will charge for a license separately as one purchases a key to validate, and will grant the license only then? Or is then just a valid key sold, no license?

What do the mentioned partners/distributors sell under the ESD channel? A license and a key or just a key? If it's the former, the purpose of the EULA is then to simply make me click "AGREE" to agree to the use terms stipulated in there that come for free?

submitted by /u/usikpa
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/usikpa, Jun 21, 2020
  2. usikpa Win User

Why is there no price mention in Windows EULA?

I 've been recently thinking about putting together a new PC, so I 've looked at various Windows licensing options available.

I understand this is more on the legal side of things, still what made me wonder is this: what exactly will I be purchasing (and paying for) when ordering, say, an ESD licence on-line NOT from the Microsoft Store as this option is a bit more expensive but from one of its authorized distributors/partners?

I mean, the Windows 10 EULA really makes it look like the right to use WINDOWS is granted for free, subject to having a valid key and having passed activation. There is just no price or any other compensation for granting that right of use (a digital licence) stipulated. Why?

Why is there no mention in EULA that Microsoft will charge for a license separately as one purchases a key to validate, and will grant the license only then?

What do the mentioned partners/distributors sell under the ESD channel? A license and a key or just a key? If it's the former, the purpose of the EULA is then to simply make me click "AGREE"?

Would be great if someone could explain this to me (links would be OK, too)

usikpa, Jun 21, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User

@usikpa,

All legitimate product keys for Windows 10 must ultimately come from Microsoft to begin with. Those product keys end up with the end user in a large variety of ways, but each legitimate product key must originate from Microsoft. Yes, Microsoft grants the license to use Windows 10 for free, provided that the users proves to Microsoft's satisfaction that they have a legitimate product key that originated from Microsoft. Since there is a wide variety of ways for the end user to end up with a legitimate product key that originated from Microsoft, such as included in the firmware of a factory built computer, purchased at retail, volume licensing, etc., it is impossible for Microsoft to set an amount in the EULA.

Now, let's say Microsoft did put a price on granting the license to use Windows 10 in the EULA. Something like once you provide Microsoft with a valid product key for a Windows 10 product, Microsoft will then activate the Windows 10 product for 10 USD. Or, better yet, Microsoft will then activate the Windows 10 product for 1 year for 10 USD and you must subsequently pay 10 USD each year afterward for the product to remain activated.

Would that make it better? Now I pay the purchase price of a computer from a manufacturer that has the product key for Windows in firmware, and in addition, I have to pay Microsoft to activate it for me. Or I purchase an ESD retail product key and then have to pay Microsoft to activate it. I think I prefer things the way they are now.....

NavyLCDR, Jun 21, 2020
  4. usikpa Win User

Where Windows 10 EULA doesn't mention Microsoft compensation or price of a license?

Nowhere in the Windows 10 EULA does it say that I have to pay in order to be able to use Windows. But it does mention having to have a valid key to activate the software. Hence my question if that key is exclusively what Microsoft sells (under ESD channel), not the license itself

usikpa, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Where Windows 10 EULA doesn't mention Microsoft compensation or price of a license? - Similar Threads - Where EULA doesn't

2. Why is there no price mention in Windows EULA?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is there no price mention in Windows EULA?: I 've been recently thinking about putting together a new PC, so I 've looked at various Windows licensing options available. I understand this is more on the legal side of things, still what made me wonder is this: what exactly will I be purchasing (and paying for) when...
  3. Minecraft Windows 10 EULA

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Minecraft Windows 10 EULA: Hi,I want to ask a few question about the Minecraft Windows 10 EULA. 1.Does Minecraft Windows 10 have its own EULA?(Not EULA from Mojang) 2.If there is, is it allowed to create content? and if allowed what should be considered? 3.Can i earn money from the content?(youtube...
  4. Windows 10 License Good price from eBay

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 License Good price from eBay: Dear MS Community! As you already knew that there are selling windows 10 license key online such as ebay.com with good price. Could you help clarify that for those license is working fine? With regards, Vichet[ATTACH]...
  5. Microsoft raised the price of Windows 10 but.....

Microsoft raised the price of Windows 10 but.....: Hi, In November, Microsoft raised the price of Windows 10 through Home & Pro Editions. But it is the same as the functions. Microsoft have any plans to release restrictions on same features to raising price? (Ex, Windows To Go)...
  6. Windows 10 compensation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 compensation?: Hello all, first time poster here. To cut a long story short, I have an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop that has served me well, right up until i updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows 10 worked for a short while, however back in February it won't boot into Windows, i just...
  7. Where get lowest priced windows 10 key?

Where get lowest priced windows 10 key?: Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) Where can I buy the lowest priced legal key which will activate windows 10 after installing from the iso? Thank you. 111570
  8. Windows 10 eula

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 eula: I'm in college teacher wants us to send him the w10 EULA image agreement terms. How I can find it also from others windows 41353
  9. Find Microsoft End User License Agreement (EULA) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Find Microsoft End User License Agreement (EULA) in Windows 10: How to: Find Microsoft End User License Agreement (EULA) in Windows 10 How to Find and Read Microsoft End User License Agreement (EULA) in Windows 10 [img] Information In proprietary software, an end-user license agreement (EULA) or software license agreement is the...
  10. Windows 10 EULA

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 EULA: My present computer which has Windows 10 purchased from the Windows shop. I want to replace my motherboard and i5 processor for a faster i7. My question is can I install the Windows 10 that I had onm my i5 computer or will I need to purchase a new Windows 10 to remain...