Windows 10: Where Windows store the data if I link two folders via a junction and download a file to...

Discus and support Where Windows store the data if I link two folders via a junction and download a file to... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I have create a junction to link the Downloads folder on Windows to another folder on a different drive because I want to save the space on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MY MICROSOFT MY LIFE, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Where Windows store the data if I link two folders via a junction and download a file to...

Hello.

I have create a junction to link the Downloads folder on Windows to another folder on a different drive because I want to save the space on the C:\ drive. The junction is created through the command:

mklink /j "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Downloads" "D:\DOWNLOADS"

Then I set the location to save the files for my Internet Download manager program to be "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Downloads". My question is, when I download a file from the internet using my Internet Download manager program, where the file will actually be stored and take the space. Will it be the D: drive or the C: drive. Because the file is appeared in both folders but when I right click to see the properties of the file in the "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Downloads", it said the location of the file is in the "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Downloads" folder. And if I copy another file from some folder into the "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Downloads" folder, which drive will actually be used to store the file. Which drive will the file take the space.

Thank you very much.

:)

MY MICROSOFT MY LIFE, Jan 27, 2020
  2. GDavid Win User

Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose.
    Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage...

An application (Xperia Companion) which will not let me select or personalise the location for saving backups of my cellular phone data...

Think I found a fair definition of the differences at the Computer hope site which would suggest it's a Junction I need:
    I want Xperia companion to save backups to F:\Sony Backups NOT the default C:\Users\GD\Documents\Sony. Would the Junction (link) allow me to to fulfill my wants and could someone please demonstrate the mklink commands needed?

with thanks and regards,
    Dave

GDavid, Jan 27, 2020
  3. Junction Links, Windows 10

Hi Martin,

Junctions or Symbolic Link are basically advanced shortcuts wherein you create a Symbolic Link from the original location of the file/folder referencing to your desired location. For example, you have a program that requires its files to run in C:\Programs
    but you want this directory saved in D:\Programs. You can move the directory to your desired location then create a Symbolic Link in C:\Program pointing to D:\Program. The program will still try to access its files from C:\Program but will be redirected to
    D:\Program and everything will just work as if it were in C:\Program.

What you actually want, however, cannot be achieved by using Junctions. If you are looking for a way to change the default locations where your downloads, music, photos, videos go in to, please follow these steps:

• Open your File Explorer.

• The folders under Quick access on the left pane, namely Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos are situated in
      C:\Users\<username> by default. Right-click on one of the folders (we'll go for Download this time) and select
      Properties.

Where Windows store the data if I link two folders via a junction and download a file to... 12f708e9-5c57-49e1-ab5b-b08c0f6a3a4c?upload=true.png

• Go to Location tab, enter your desired location or select
      Find Target
      , and click OK.

Where Windows store the data if I link two folders via a junction and download a file to... 4b4c95c8-e12e-4664-9307-25c79f17c385?upload=true.png

• Repeat the process on the remaining folders if desired.

Let us know how it goes.

Adrianne Buc, Jan 27, 2020
  4. Frogger Win User

Where Windows store the data if I link two folders via a junction and download a file to...

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Where Windows store the data if I link two folders via a junction and download a file to... :)

Frogger, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

Where Windows store the data if I link two folders via a junction and download a file to...

1. Where Windows store the data if I link two folders via a junction and download a file to... - Similar Threads - Where store data

2. EdgeDev App fails to load when EdgeDev data is on junction symbolic link

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EdgeDev App fails to load when EdgeDev data is on junction symbolic link: Hi all,Have been using EdgeDev, EdgeBeta & Edge for years with the User Data folder stored on an internal HDD F: while the main program files are installed on C: OS SSD. This is to prevent wear of my SSD with constant read/writes by the browsers. Many other apps are installed...
  3. Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?: I'm running out of space on my C: drive but have a ton of space on my D: drive. Is it safe or even possible to move my Users folder to my D: drive and create a junction link to my C: drive? submitted by /u/Itch_X [link] [comments]...
  4. Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data: Greetings, See below a copy of a post on Google Chrome Support Forum. No reply received and closed now. Two simple questions : a. Does anyone else observe this problem when pointing Chrome User Data to another drive. b. Any suggestion on how to tackle this problem....
  5. Using/understanding junctions and links

in Windows 10 Support
    Using/understanding junctions and links: My question is about understanding what a junction or link means. Short version first, longer second. This link: [img] Properties indicates "backup" is a folder is on the C: drive and is 156 GB (C: is a 110 GB SSD). [img] The properties for the files show the C:...
  6. Unable to rename files and folders accessed via a junction

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to rename files and folders accessed via a junction: I am using an NTFS junction "C:\foobar" to access a folder that actually resides in "C:\Users\myid\Documents\foobar". Trying to sketch this: C:\foobar------------------------------+ | V C:\Users\myid\Documents\foobar\.....loooong paths here.... The reason for using such a...
  7. Where is EXIF data stored in an image file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is EXIF data stored in an image file?: Hello, There is often metadata stored with image files that are produced by digital cameras, things like camera model, GPS information, aperture size, whether the flash was on, etc. Where is this info stored? Is it in a header at the front of the file or a footer at the...
  8. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  9. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

in Windows 10 Support
    junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders: hi my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space. somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually dopus] of which two contain a few folders and the third one many folders, the latter is my real documents folder. the os will...
  10. Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?: Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose. Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage... An application (Xperia...