Windows 10: Whether previous installation files can be deleted

Discus and support Whether previous installation files can be deleted in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I bought HP pavillion x360 i3 8th gen laptop recently. Since user memory is pretty limited around 175 GB, I want to get rid of accumulated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ArcotRama Mohan, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Whether previous installation files can be deleted

Hi, I bought HP pavillion x360 i3 8th gen laptop recently. Since user memory is pretty limited around 175 GB, I want to get rid of accumulated unnecessary junk files. I found that files under temporary files categorized as files from previous windows installations occupy enormous memory of 21 GB. Is it normal. Can I delete these fi Whether previous installation files can be deleted 426261d2-b0e5-40ea-b14d-5b0674d2887b?upload=true.png les safely. The screen shot is attached. Thanks

:)

ArcotRama Mohan, Jun 28, 2020

2. The Correct Way to delete Windows Previous Installations Files (How?)

Hi Thay,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Windows.old folder is created automatically which contains previous operating system files in c: drive. As, you have performed Disk Cleanup Windows.old will be removed.

For more information I would suggest you to check if you can find Windows.old folder. Follow the steps below.

• Open File explorer. Select This PC
    • Click the drive that Windows is installed on (typically, the C: drive).
    • If you can find the Windows.old folder. Open the folder and check if the files are available.\
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Whether previous installation files can be deleted ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Whether previous installation files can be deleted

Can install Windows, can't install Linux

Are you doing a clean install?

Also if you are doing a clean install may I suggest this. Delete and format all partitions and let Ubuntu allocate the drive. You might have some MBR files left on the HD that is conflicting with Ubuntu booting.

TheMailMan78, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Whether previous installation files can be deleted

1. Whether previous installation files can be deleted - Similar Threads - Whether previous installation

2. Previous Installation Temporary Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Previous Installation Temporary Files: I just update my windows 10 to 11 and found out that there's a temporary file of previous windows installation that take up 35,4 GB. If i decide to just ignore it and let it delete itself after 10 days of update would that mean i'll get that 35,4 GB free space back or i only...
  3. Deleting previous windows files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting previous windows files: Hi, i have a problem deleting the previous win files.i deleted some files but then doesnt let me delete the rest.it says that i require permission from administrators while im on admin acc...
  4. Deleting previous windows files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting previous windows files: Hi, i have a problem deleting the previous win files.i deleted some files but then doesnt let me delete the rest.it says that i require permission from administrators while im on admin acc...
  5. Deleting previous windows files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Previous Window installation files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Previous Window installation files.: I currently updated to windows 10 version 20h2. I just checked my storage and found that there is 37.2 Gb of temporary files in windows previous installations. I am having no problem with the current version. Should i delete the previous window installation files. I am...
  7. can delete previous C folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can delete previous C folder: After moving windows from HDD to SDD, can I delete the data in previous C folder which is now f folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-delete-previous-c-folder/6cd7d1f2-5cc0-4dfe-bd52-2e40a1fc729b
  8. Can I delete "Previous Windows Installations" 28, 1 GB from the Temporary files ??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I delete "Previous Windows Installations" 28, 1 GB from the Temporary files ??: Hi, does anybody know if I can I delete "Previous Windows Installations" folder from the Temporary files without having conflicts or anything? [ATTACH]...
  9. Deletion of temp files and previous installation files not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deletion of temp files and previous installation files not working.: Even when using disk cleanup in admin account it will say deleted but after restarting and going back into disk cleanup they are back. Even using Windows app they come back after deletion . See screenshot On another note system restore doesn't seem to work , i did...
  10. Delete Previous Windows Installation(s)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Delete Previous Windows Installation(s): I have eliminate the Previous Windows Installation(s) for have more space on me SSD,but the problem is was show me 30GB will be free,but after the action end and finish to clean the C was only whit 10GB more....Any 1 can tell me why have give me only 10 and not 30GB ? Sorry...