Windows 10: Which 17" Laptop to Buy?

Discus and support Which 17" Laptop to Buy? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK, I know this has probably been asked before, but as we all know, technology changes from day to day, so . . . My friend wants a new 17" laptop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wynona, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Wynona Win User

Which 17" Laptop to Buy?

OK, I know this has probably been asked before, but as we all know, technology changes from day to day, so . . .

My friend wants a new 17" laptop. Ideally it will have a backlit keyboard, but she can live without it.

So far, we've found a Lenovo with 4GB RAM and a 1T hard drive and I know several folks here have one. She hasn't heard of Lenovo before, so she's being overly cautious (which I would advise anyway).

I'd like to hear opinions on what she should get and how much she should pay.

Thanks in advance for any input.

:)

Wynona, Mar 15, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Why did windows update My Computer

Here's another that will do the job: Precision 17 7000 Series (7710)

DaveM121, Mar 15, 2016
  3. DeetleVa Win User
    11 BSODs in 3 months with Windows 10

Gerry, The Pavillion dv7 is a 17" laptop. I forgot to say thanks for taking a look. Dave Lawson

DeetleVa, Mar 15, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Which 17" Laptop to Buy?

Ask her if she has heard of IBM. IBM spun off their PCs to Lenovo some time ago, also spun off their HDDs to Hitachi who probably made them anyway.

I don't see many Lenovo in my area but a neighbor/client has a 15.6" model, seems to be as good as the other brands. I have an older Dell Studio 17/1747 which runs Win10 just fine but its biggest drawback is size and weight, not an issue if it is used as a Desktop replacement. There doesn't seem to be as great a choice of 17.3" as there used to be.

Berton, Mar 15, 2016
  5. Wynona Win User
    I told her that, but I wasn't completely sure it was IBM that spun them off to Lenovo. *Smile

Hmmm, we hadn't thought of Dell; I'll look into those too.

Thanks, Berton.

Wynona, Mar 15, 2016
  6. Mooly Win User
    I have a Dell 17" (Vostro 3750) that was chosen after much thought . It does have the backlit keyboard and tbh that is a really nice feature. Have to say I've been very very pleased with it. The single biggest upgrade in performance though was in slotting in a SSD. I would not have believed the difference that made. Everything is instant.

I also have an old Acer, and while I have to say its been brilliant in that its never suffered any hardware problems, it did suffer with a hinge problem despite me being super careful. Most users were seeing these fail in warranty... mine lasted 5.5 yrs. I've fixed that myself and its going strong at 9.5 yrs old now. Would I recommend Acer... well I have an Acer tablet and that has a display fault (a green line down the side) and which at 3 yrs old is out of warranty. The hours on the tablet wont even run to 3 figures and so I would say no to Acer.

Have a look at Dell and check out the business models (the Vostro was one such).

Mooly, Mar 15, 2016
  7. Emma 37 Win User
    I would stick to HP if they have a laptop she would be interested in. My present laptop is an Acer, it's face works fine, but I don't like the keyboard at all. Anyone else might get used to it, but it's very difficult for me to. I usually buy HP which had been very nice and if I have a problem the techs at HP are very nice to deal with.

Emma 37, Mar 15, 2016
  8. Which 17" Laptop to Buy?

I have an ASUS with a 17.3 inch screen. No backlit keyboard though. I've been very happy with it. Mine has dual drive bays, which could be a bonus. Other laptops in this size rang may have them too. You could run Windows on an SSD and keep your Data on a spinner. I have two SSD's in mine.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Which 17" Laptop to Buy?

1. Which 17" Laptop to Buy? - Similar Threads - Laptop Buy

2. I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...: I'm buying a used HP laptop that has had all it's data including the original OS completely wiped via Blancco. The units original OS was Windows 8 Pro. I'm assuming the method to reinstall Windows is by using the Media Creation tool via USB. If I do this will the device...
  3. I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...: I'm buying a used HP laptop that has had all it's data including the original OS completely wiped via Blancco. The units original OS was Windows 8 Pro. I'm assuming the method to reinstall Windows is by using the Media Creation tool via USB. If I do this will the device...
  4. I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. how do i install windows 7 on new laptops? OR on latest laptop can i buy to run windows 7...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i install windows 7 on new laptops? OR on latest laptop can i buy to run windows 7...: I have a large softwareS made for windows 7 specificallytill today my HP 15 AMD APU is fine and runs windows 7 perfectlybut i need another laptop on which i can do same stuffpls provide a list of latest laptops on which i can run Win7...
  6. how do i install windows 7 on new laptops? OR on latest laptop can i buy to run windows 7...

how do i install windows 7 on new laptops? OR on latest laptop can i buy to run windows 7...: I have a large softwareS made for windows 7 specificallytill today my HP 15 AMD APU is fine and runs windows 7 perfectlybut i need another laptop on which i can do same stuffpls provide a list of latest laptops on which i can run Win7...
  7. I recently bought an Open Box Laptop at Best Buy that has someone else's account still on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I recently bought an Open Box Laptop at Best Buy that has someone else's account still on...: I recently bought an Open Box Laptop at Best Buy that has someone else's account still on the laptop. How can I remove it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-recently-bought-an-open-box-laptop-at-best-buy/499dfb31-e5e4-48df-8139-5f8282f24de4
  8. I recently bought an Open Box Laptop at Best Buy that has someone else's account still on...

I recently bought an Open Box Laptop at Best Buy that has someone else's account still on...: I recently bought an Open Box Laptop at Best Buy that has someone else's account still on the laptop. How can I remove it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-recently-bought-an-open-box-laptop-at-best-buy/499dfb31-e5e4-48df-8139-5f8282f24de4
  9. My Asus br11fka 2in1 laptop pen stop working and I research it's mpp 2.0 spec, can I buy...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Asus br11fka 2in1 laptop pen stop working and I research it's mpp 2.0 spec, can I buy...: My Asus br11fka 2in1 laptop pen stop working and I research it's mpp 2.0 spec, can I buy another pen with mpp 2.0 spec even it's on another brand not Asus? Will does work?...
  10. My Asus br11fka 2in1 laptop pen stop working and I research it's mpp 2.0 spec, can I buy...

My Asus br11fka 2in1 laptop pen stop working and I research it's mpp 2.0 spec, can I buy...: My Asus br11fka 2in1 laptop pen stop working and I research it's mpp 2.0 spec, can I buy another pen with mpp 2.0 spec even it's on another brand not Asus? Will does work?...