Windows 10: Which cloud backup if any?

Discus and support Which cloud backup if any? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Windows 10 1909 (build 18363.836) Hello folks. So I have a few external hard drives and regularly do file back ups and the occasional system image.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Hazel123, May 20, 2020.

1. Hazel123 Win User

Which cloud backup if any?

Windows 10 1909 (build 18363.836)

Hello folks. So I have a few external hard drives and regularly do file back ups and the occasional system image. More file backups. Just clean installed 1909 and set everything up and every time I do a clean install and faff about with reinstalling files I think - maybe I should get cloud backup as well. Then I never get round to it and get cold feet. Apart from it also costing. But my iphone cloud backups work pretty well and I can see the advantage, especially if your house burns down - although if that happened I may have a lot more to worry about than lost data!

I keep some file backups in email anyway - email them to myself and file them. I don't bother with syncing and sharing files so haven't bothered with dropbox, googledrive etc, prefer to keep it simple and don't travel much (nobody does right now anyway!).

Anyway - any recommendations would be appreciated. I've read all the reviews and there are pros and cons. Idrive and Acronis seem the two top recommended ones and both do system images as well - and both are a bit expensive. I was put off Backblaze by reports that it doesn't put files back on the pc in the folders if files need to be recover.

So thoughts are - surely another process running on a laptop would slow it down? Like antivirus. What are experiences of recovery from cloud backups with different programs? Does everything go back as it was in the named folders - like a regular copy and paste back up?

And is it all too much hassle or something really worth doing these days? My main computer has a 1TB ssd drive and half of that is full (ie at least 500GB) - many years of documents and files.

Who are these companies that provide cloud backups? Acronis I know is a big name but in the current climate I wonder what happens to your data if a company goes bust. Even big companies can go bust.

:)

Hazel123, May 20, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

ASUSTOR Announces Support for ElephantDrive Cloud Backup

ASUSTOR Inc., a leading innovator and provider of network storage solutions, has announced the addition of the new ElephantDrive cloud backup App for all ASUSTOR NAS devices. ASUSTOR NAS users will be able to download and install this new App via App Central. ElephantDrive provides an online cloud backup service that allows data from ASUSTOR NAS devices to be backed up in real time or via scheduling to ElephantDrive's encrypted cloud storage space. Data can also be conveniently restored in the event of an accident, significantly enhancing data availability.

"We are delighted to begin our collaboration with ASUSTOR. Our goal has been to provide seamlessly integrated cloud backup solutions for NAS devices, so it was only a matter of time before we offered support for ASUSTOR's powerful and user-friendly devices," said Michael Fisher, CEO at ElephantDrive. "We are convinced that the combination of ASUSTOR's hardware and ElephantDrive's cloud services will satisfy the most demanding users."

Which cloud backup if any? 25107cf9f3ac_thm.jpg

"We are elated to be bringing ElephantDrive's cloud backup solutions to all ASUSTOR NAS users," said James Su, Product Manager at ASUSTOR. "We aim to provide our users with the best backup and data protection solutions, securing their data and providing peace of mind."

ASUSTOR recognizes the demanding requirements that users have for backup, providing a host of comprehensive backup solutions that give users the flexibility to configure backups in different usage scenarios. ASUSTOR backup solutions include the Backup Plan utility for Windows, Time Machine support for Mac, FTP/Rsync backup to remote servers, and synchronized backup to cloud storage services such as Dropbox, Owncloud, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, HiDrive and hubiC. The addition of support for ElephantDrive provides yet another high quality cloud backup option for users to choose from.

For more information about ElephantDrive's features and take advantage of ElephantDrive's exclusive pricing, please visit this page.

btarunr, May 20, 2020
  3. Bill_Bright, May 20, 2020
  4. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, May 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Which cloud backup if any? - Similar Threads - cloud backup

2. Where did my PC backup to, is it on the cloud, and if so how can I delete it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where did my PC backup to, is it on the cloud, and if so how can I delete it?: I got a prompt upon restarting my computer saying it's time to back up my files. I hit continue so I could say no to everything, since my only other options was "remind me in 3 days." Problem is, it only asked me if I wanted to connect to Windows from my phone, did some...
  3. Where did my PC backup to, is it on the cloud, and if so how can I delete it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where did my PC backup to, is it on the cloud, and if so how can I delete it?: I got a prompt upon restarting my computer saying it's time to back up my files. I hit continue so I could say no to everything, since my only other options was "remind me in 3 days." Problem is, it only asked me if I wanted to connect to Windows from my phone, did some...
  4. Where did my PC backup to, is it on the cloud, and if so how can I delete it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How do I Turn Off Windows Backup? I do Not Want Any Info in the Cloud for Security Reasons!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I Turn Off Windows Backup? I do Not Want Any Info in the Cloud for Security Reasons!: I own a computer repair business. I have many clients who want OneDrive turned off because of scanned images of social security cards etc....so I turn it off.You forced this application on to everyone running Windows 11. What do I tell my clients who don't want it that it...
  6. How do I Turn Off Windows Backup? I do Not Want Any Info in the Cloud for Security Reasons!

How do I Turn Off Windows Backup? I do Not Want Any Info in the Cloud for Security Reasons!: I own a computer repair business. I have many clients who want OneDrive turned off because of scanned images of social security cards etc....so I turn it off.You forced this application on to everyone running Windows 11. What do I tell my clients who don't want it that it...
  7. Cannot enable cloud backup in my Microsoft Authenticator app - "MS account doesn't exist"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot enable cloud backup in my Microsoft Authenticator app - "MS account doesn't exist": Hello,As per the title, when I try to add an account to enable backup in my Microsoft Authenticator app on Android, it asks me to sign in to my MS account. I enter my email address but the app says "That Microsoft account doesn't exist". And yet it is the same account that I...
  8. Cannot enable cloud backup in my Microsoft Authenticator app - "MS account doesn't exist"

Cannot enable cloud backup in my Microsoft Authenticator app - "MS account doesn't exist": Hello,As per the title, when I try to add an account to enable backup in my Microsoft Authenticator app on Android, it asks me to sign in to my MS account. I enter my email address but the app says "That Microsoft account doesn't exist". And yet it is the same account that I...
  9. If I factory reset an old PC and remove everything, will it also remove my cloud backups on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I factory reset an old PC and remove everything, will it also remove my cloud backups on...: I want to completely reset an old PC and remove everything. But if I reset it, will it affect my cloud backups on Onedrive. Will I be able to access backed up files if I login with the account again?...
  10. If I factory reset an old PC and remove everything, will it also remove my cloud backups on...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I factory reset an old PC and remove everything, will it also remove my cloud backups on...: I want to completely reset an old PC and remove everything. But if I reset it, will it affect my cloud backups on Onedrive. Will I be able to access backed up files if I login with the account again?...