Windows 10: Which drivers do I install?

Discus and support Which drivers do I install? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I'm just very confused about which drivers I need to install - the ones from my motherboard's manufacturer's website, or the ones from Intel? For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Illuminati Izzy, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Which drivers do I install?

Hi! I'm just very confused about which drivers I need to install - the ones from my motherboard's manufacturer's website, or the ones from Intel? For example, I have the GA-H81M-DS2V motherboard and the Intel Management Engine driver on Gigabyte's website is 11.0.0.1158. However, on Intel's website, the latest driver update is 11.0.4.1186. I know that motherboard manufacturers can tweak things to best suit the motherboard, but it doesn't seem right for the drivers to be out of date. This is the same with my graphics driver (different on the two websites). I would really appreciate some help!

Thanks in advance

:)

Illuminati Izzy, Apr 13, 2016
  2. Anna Bon Win User

Which audio driver do I need?

Thank you for that information Jacob. This can actually be an issue with the hardware, sound card or audio driver. However, to fully identify and isolate the issue, we may need to perform series of troubleshooting steps on your PC. Please check this
    link for detailed steps and process that we need to perform on your PC.

Please get back to us with the result of the proposed steps.

Thank you.

Anna Bon, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Anna Bon Win User
    Which audio driver do I need?

Thank you for getting back to us Jacob. As we have checked the Code 10 error you are getting, it pertains mainly to hardware and device driver issue or to compatibility issues between hardware drivers and additional software that is installed
    in Windows. Let us perform some troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue. Check the instructions below:

We suggest that you update your device driver. Please follow the steps below:

1. In the device's Properties dialog box, click the
    Driver
    tab.

2. Click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard.

3. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

Please note that you may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s website.
    Follow their installation or update instructions. Check the details below:

1. If the device was pre-installed on the computer, visit the computer manufacturer's website.

2. If the device was installed after the purchase of the computer, visit the device manufacturer's website.

3. If the device was pre-installed on the computer, and the computer manufacturer does not have an updated driver for the device, visit the device manufacturer's website.

Make sure that the device drivers that are being installed are compatible with your current Windows version and platform.

Let us know if there's any changes after the suggested steps.

Thank you.

Anna Bon, Apr 13, 2016
  4. Which drivers do I install?

The latest driver is usually the best one, motherboard manufacturers do not always keep up with the latest drivers.
    Unless you have a dual graphic card or something special like that, tweaking from a manufacturer is not really an issue.

TairikuOkami, Apr 13, 2016
  5. Izzy, I would follow Tairiku's advice, but remember to set a System Restore Point first.

You can also go to Device Manager, select your device, and let MS choose.

Vince Massi, Apr 13, 2016
  6. Some drivers like what you are referring to are compatible with a long list of motherboards. So, it is possible that Intel updated the overall installer to include new boards, but the driver for your particular one isn't any different, regardless of the which file you use. If you really aren't sure, go with the one on your motherboard's website. Most likely, it is the last version available for your particular motherboard, and won't net you anything different than the newer Intel file. There shouldn't be any harm going with the Intel file, either.

DeaconFrost, Apr 13, 2016
  7. DooGie Win User
    I agree.

I'd go with that advice Izzy. Sometimes the drivers on the motherboard manufacturers site aren't kept up to date.
    Realtek HD drivers, graphics drivers and Intel ones are generally out of date.

DooGie, Apr 13, 2016
  8. Which drivers do I install?

Thank you to everyone. One last question, where do I stand on chipset? Motherboard or Intel?

Illuminati Izzy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Which drivers do I install?

1. Which drivers do I install? - Similar Threads - drivers install

2. I do not have Realtek Audio Driver and I still do not have it after installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I do not have Realtek Audio Driver and I still do not have it after installing: I can't find Realtek HD Audio Manager in my control panel and in my device manager. Here is my motherboard:After downloading the audio driver from the link...
  3. I do not have Realtek Audio Driver and I still do not have it after installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I do not have Realtek Audio Driver and I still do not have it after installing: I can't find Realtek HD Audio Manager in my control panel and in my device manager. Here is my motherboard:After downloading the audio driver from the link...
  4. Windows 11 not installing ethernet drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not installing ethernet drivers: I installed a fresh copy of windows 11 on a new ssd from a thumb drive. the install didn't install any drivers for the ethernet card, and windows will not recognize the card now. I cannot get on the internet to download the right drivers and I don't know what drivers to...
  5. Windows 11 not installing ethernet drivers

Windows 11 not installing ethernet drivers: I installed a fresh copy of windows 11 on a new ssd from a thumb drive. the install didn't install any drivers for the ethernet card, and windows will not recognize the card now. I cannot get on the internet to download the right drivers and I don't know what drivers to...
  6. IDT driver installation issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IDT driver installation issue: Hi,I tried to update the existing IDT High Definition Audio CODEC using the latest from below:https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=IDTBut after updating getting error. It shows yellow exclamatory mark and also under properties it says 'This device can start....
  7. IDT driver installation issue

IDT driver installation issue: Hi,I tried to update the existing IDT High Definition Audio CODEC using the latest from below:https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=IDTBut after updating getting error. It shows yellow exclamatory mark and also under properties it says 'This device can start....
  8. IDT driver installation issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. GeForce Experience driver installation failed [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    GeForce Experience driver installation failed [Fix]: [IMG]In this article, we will see how to fix the Installation Failed error while updating or installing the GeForce Game Ready Driver through the NVIDIA Geforce Experience. NVIDIA Game Ready drivers deliver the best gaming experience for your favorite games. They also allow...
  10. Can you remap the side buttons without having full driver installed for Microsoft Ergonomic...

Can you remap the side buttons without having full driver installed for Microsoft Ergonomic...: I use Microsoft Ergonomic Mouse on Windows 11 at work. While I can install Microsoft mouse and keyboard centre, it is not installed as admin does not require to restart, but rather from a company software store. It recognizes my Ergonomic mouse and the changes I do to left...