Windows 10: Which email desktop client do you use and why?

Discus and support Which email desktop client do you use and why? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; In any case installing Outlook does not remove the Mail app, I have Outlook 2013 installed on 3 machines and all of them Mail App, too. Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by swarfega, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Kari Win User

Which email desktop client do you use and why?

In any case installing Outlook does not remove the Mail app, I have Outlook 2013 installed on 3 machines and all of them Mail App, too.

2. CountMike New Member

Oh, well, it got lost somehow, now it's back and works. It was about time a Gremlin got me too.

CountMike, Nov 3, 2014
  3. *Ditto But iphone *Tongue

ThrashZone, Nov 3, 2014
  4. Which email desktop client do you use and why?

unsure with the TBird thing. Only been using it for 3 weeks on a trial. not sure of cost.. like anything, if it works well I do not mind paying for it

noelbeth55, Nov 3, 2014
  5. Charlie Win User
    I am using Outlook.com on my two 10 installs. I was going to install Windows Live Mail but then I thought "When in Rome do as . ." I have been using Live Mail since Windows 7 made me switch from Outlook Express. So I clicked on the Mail tile on the Start Menu and gave it a shot. I have been on pop3 mail server since back in the day when broadband first came to the sticks. Getting my mail from my IP provider is old school? So I had Outlook port my Live Mail from my IP account keeping my address from 15 or so years. Now I fetch mail on the 10 installs by opening the modern mail app. Or I can grab it from the Quick link tab (Outlook) at the top of the IE Browser window. Learning a little about IMAP , STPM and POP protocal. I miss the good old days but happy to be here living the good life in the Modern Days. Peace. *Cool

Charlie, Nov 4, 2014
  6. I usually use either Outlook or the inbuilt mail app

No particular like/dislike for either, just depends on which one I notice on my machine first

paulsalter, Nov 4, 2014
  7. strollin Win User
    On my work PC I use Thunderbird (Outlook sometimes) but on my personal PCs running Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10 I use WLM 2012. I rarely use the Metro mail app, even on my Win 8 tablet. Mostly I'm not particular about what mail client I use (I occasionally use Outlook.com to check my email as well) but I do not like the Metro Mail app in Win 8 & Win 10.

strollin, Nov 4, 2014
  8. Fantail Win User

Since it is not os dependent I typically use web based mail everywhere but home. Home being a 7 machine w/live. Btw rr webmail seems to work fine on 10 w/ie so far. Why wouldn't it.

Fantail, Nov 4, 2014
  9. I tended to prefer older versions of email clients. Too bad support and security are an issue with them because I would go back to using any one of them.

I really liked the first two releases of Mozilla Thunderbird. I tried version 3x but it's indexing and tab options slowed things to a crawl. Up until 2.0.0.20 (or whatever the last 2x release was), I liked it.

So in 2010, I switched over to Microsoft Outlook 2003 (since I was running Office 2003 anyway). To me it was modern enough, yet productive enough that I enjoyed using it. Once support has run out for Office 2003, I have not liked any of the newer Office releases, and I especially don't like Outlook 2010 (not a ribbon fan at all). I really, really wished I could have kept running Outlook 2003.

So now, since my main OS is Vista, I use Windows Mail. It's like a prettier, but not cluttered version of Outlook Express. Once 2017 comes around, and Vista support expires, I suppose my next choice will be the SeaMonkey mail client (reminds me of old Thunderbird builds)

Jody Thornton, Nov 14, 2014
  10. Edwin New Member
    I check mail in my browser but not crazy about doing too much private stuff on WTP.

Edwin, Nov 14, 2014
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Same here.
    For some reason Gmail just doesn't like most of the 3rd party email clients so I stick with a browser.
    Yes, I could use Google to find out what's wrong but I have a lazy.

Jeff *Biggrin

BunnyJ, Nov 14, 2014
  12. I've used office outlook 2007 since it came out,
    Ribbon is not all that bad imho :/
    Not sure about the 2010... versions though ?

ThrashZone, Nov 14, 2014
  13. Which email desktop client do you use and why?

I started with Outlook Express and graduated to Windows Live mail and Outlook/Hotmail. I prefer to have my emails stored on my computer rather than web based mail.

warewasher2025, Nov 17, 2014
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

I LOATHE web based email clients -- usually SLOW, riddled with ads etc. Also webmail clients are hideous for accessing different email servers and having multiple accounts.

Outlook 2010 is fine for me. GMAIL also can interface with Outlook if you have GMAIL accounts too.

http://www.howtogeek.com/174837/how-...13-using-imap/

For SENDING email from your ISP account while away then use AUTHSMTP - it's only a few dollars a year and works very well indeed. Works fine with Outlook and most other email clients that use SMTP for sending email. Some ISP's block their SMTP servers when you are AWAY from their service or force you to use a hobbled hideous webmail system so AUTHSMTP provides a decent SMTP service for when you can't access your ISP's SMTP server. Note you can always RETRIEVE email from your ISP wherever you are if it's POP3 / IMAP.

http://www.authsmtp.com/?gclid=CIjK1...FbCWtAodQC0AaA

I prefer having email on the computer when I need to - outlook 2010 can move email from IMAP servers to local folders.

I don't like the built in mail app either.

On Linux I use KMAIL (part of KDE) which is near enough Outlook in operation, and looks (and it's FREE).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 18, 2014
  15. swarfega Win User
    Jimbo you could technically use Kmail on Windows via KDE for Windows. Its a but clunky though.

swarfega, Nov 18, 2014
Thema:

1. Which email desktop client do you use and why? - Similar Threads - email desktop client

2. Why do you allow hypervisors you know are illegally used?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do you allow hypervisors you know are illegally used?: As a 15+ year victims of this horrible hypervisor tool of yours , I would like to know if you have any conscious feelings knowing how it's employed to harass, provoke, and intentionally hurt american citizens by government agencies? The agency I am speaking about has received...
  3. Which backup software do you use?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which backup software do you use?: Which backup software do you use to create backup of your windows 10 files and folder? I used file history and it is not showing any progress bar and taking a lot of time to create a backup of 34 gb files and folders...
  4. How to use Email client?

in Browsers and Email
    How to use Email client?: I have been using web interface free email for many years, but I recently really get tired of the web interface of Yahoo! Mail. I know little about SMTP and POP3 but I can imagine there could be a lot of problems about backup of emails, synchronization of mails between...
  5. GAMERS, which OS do you use?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GAMERS, which OS do you use?: GAMERS, I'm going to build an inexpensive gaming machine and I started to wonder about the OS. I'm interested in knowing if I gamers run Linux (Ubuntu) or does it have to be windows? I have to pay for Window and I can get Linux for free...and since I don't do any gaming, I...
  6. Desktop email client as a frontend

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop email client as a frontend: Hello folks, There are a few desktop email clients threads on this board. I checked a few but none discussed what I am looking for. I have multiple email accounts. I used to use Thunderbird in the past until its database size ballooned over 6gb. Now switched to a far...
  7. email client

in Browsers and Email
    email client: I have Windows 10 pro and have been using Windows Mail; unfortunately it is erratic syncing and I just lost a valuable folder. It seems ok at times and I like its simplicity because I am at an average tech level. I have had other issues with it so have discontinued use....
  8. Ropemaker - new Exploit for Desktop Email Clients

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ropemaker - new Exploit for Desktop Email Clients: Mimecast (Email security vendor) has publish a warning today about possible email exploit called Ropemaker. A new type of email exploit could affect all kind of computer users, even the most advanced. Practically all desktop email clients are vulnerable to this exploit if...
  9. Is there a free email client for desktop use

in Browsers and Email
    Is there a free email client for desktop use: I use Outlook for my main email but I also have an gmail account as well as a hotmail (outlook). I would like a free email client that I can install on my computer so I can have a desktop email client for my gmail and hotmail accounts so I don't have to access it via web...
  10. Best alternative desktop email client

in Browsers and Email
    Best alternative desktop email client: Currently using Win Live Mail 2013 on desktop, but very buggy. Have tried Mail app in Win 10 but not as comprehensive as WinLiveMail Any suggestions for alternative stand alone desktop email client? *Smile 72169