Windows 10: Which email desktop client do you use and why?

Discus and support Which email desktop client do you use and why? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I use AOL since day 1. I never had any problem and I like that my mail is safely stored upstream. How often have I seen people struggle to get their... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by swarfega, Nov 2, 2014.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

Which email desktop client do you use and why?

I use AOL since day 1. I never had any problem and I like that my mail is safely stored upstream. How often have I seen people struggle to get their mail when their system went south. I also use Gmail - mostly in Android though.

2. gzt7d8 Win User

I guess I'm old school, I like the email clients too. I've used Outlook Express ever since it was released. Then when I got MS Office, it moved over to Outlook and have never changed since then.

I like having everything in one place, e.g. mail, calendar, contacts, etc. My Android phone has a mail app that I use to view and manage my mail til I open Outlook on my PC.

I haven't seen much of Office 2016, but I will get it when it becomes available. I've gotten all the others prior to it more so for Outlook though I use the other applications as well.

gzt7d8, Jan 24, 2015
  3. I have tried to use a standalone client, but it is too bothersome to setup, maintain and whatever.
    I am fine with a browser's extension, which notifies me about email, opening it takes 2-3 seconds.

TairikuOkami, Jan 24, 2015
  4. Emma Win User

I use WLM and love the quick access bar.

5. Like another member, I've used Outlook Express since, like, forever, up to and including XP/SP3 (still my main OS)

I skipped Vista but do run Win-7 on secondary PC's. In Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, I found a way to re-activate Windows Mail.
    It's so close to O.E.6 that the setup and operation is practically identical.

I can't, however, seen to get WinMail to work in Windows 10. If someone knows how, I'd love to know.

So right now, in 10, I'm using Thunderbird, which works OK, but it's not my favorite.
    I don't like web mail..... I want my mail and my address book on MY Computer where I can save it, move it to another PC, etc.
    It's a Control thing!

*Cool

TechnoMage, Jan 25, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If you like OE (I wish it was still available on W10) -- simple -- does exactly what it needs to without all these "features" to integrate whole teams of office people and connect with every device on the planet - why not simply keep running XP as a VM and only use OE.

Shouldn't be any serious danger of XP being "attacked" if you only use OE and don't bother using XP for other Internet access stuff.
    As a Virtual machine a minimal XP will use so few resources you won't even know it's running !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 25, 2015
  7. I mostly use outlook.com. I might consider Mail or the Outlook App eventually though, but I already get email notifications through Blackberry Blend so I might use that.

FuturDreamz, Jan 27, 2015
  8. Which email desktop client do you use and why?

I use Windows Live mail because It can configure both Imap and Pop email accounts. I sent my main laptop back for repairs and I have TP build 9926 as the main OS and I'm using Outlook on that PC. On my Android phone I use Mymail and In have Gmail.

orlbuckeye, Jan 27, 2015
  9. Emma Win User
    I hate clutter on my desktop, so I use easy access bar on WLM and minimize the ribbon on both email and Word documents.

10. For WAY over a decade, I've used nothing but Outlook Express, and since I'm on my XP machine now, that's what I'm still using.
    But, on any OS from Win-7 to Windows 8.1, I've used "Windows Mail", by tweaking it (Hacking it) to make it work.
    However I can't get it to work on Windows 10 (yet) so I'm using Windows Live Mail, a part of Windows Essentials.
    I don't like that as well as Windows Mail, but it works, and runs all day, checking my GMail accounts (five) every three minutes, so I never have to go hunting for my email. It's always on my screen when I want to read it. Every time a new email comes in, from GMail, my PC tells me, "You've got mail!" in a friendly female voice. I can hear that, even when I'm working outside. Neat!

I wish someone would write a Clone of Outlook Express that would work with Windows 10. How hard could that be?

Cheers mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Feb 3, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

What's wrong with the XP idea running as a VM -- it probably even as an entire VM uses less resources than opening up Ms office 2010 or 2013. !!!!

For Links / attachments save on to the HOST (use HOST ONLY networking) then your XP VM won't have any security problems.

For example if you have a URL in OE on the XP vm simply copy the link and open it in your browser on your HOST system. If you want to open attachments etc save then on to the HOST and open with the Host application.

Vmplayer is FREE.

Simple.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 3, 2015
  12. enoch1138 Win User
    I don't.

I use the nice simple, basic Mail app. Works just fine for me, always has.

enoch1138, Feb 4, 2015
  13. Which email desktop client do you use and why?

Well I have both Pop server and Imap email accounts and Windows Live allows both. I've since Outlook Express and Windows Mail went away in Windows 7.

orlbuckeye, Feb 11, 2015
  14. Fantail Win User
    I am starting to prefer the email app on my phone (android) over w/live.

Fantail, Feb 11, 2015
  15. Arelem Win User
    Thunderbird, but only because I can't install Outlook. *Confused

Last August, when I rebuilt my PC, something glitched during the Office install and it failed. Now it won't let me install Office at all saying that "D:\\Office is not a valid path", even if I tell it to install elsewhere (don't know why its looking for D: at all, since that is a BluRay drive and not the one I had the install disk in).

And I don't want to do a wipe and reload.

Arelem, Feb 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Which email desktop client do you use and why? - Similar Threads - email desktop client

2. Why do you allow hypervisors you know are illegally used?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do you allow hypervisors you know are illegally used?: As a 15+ year victims of this horrible hypervisor tool of yours , I would like to know if you have any conscious feelings knowing how it's employed to harass, provoke, and intentionally hurt american citizens by government agencies? The agency I am speaking about has received...
  3. Which backup software do you use?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which backup software do you use?: Which backup software do you use to create backup of your windows 10 files and folder? I used file history and it is not showing any progress bar and taking a lot of time to create a backup of 34 gb files and folders...
  4. How to use Email client?

in Browsers and Email
    How to use Email client?: I have been using web interface free email for many years, but I recently really get tired of the web interface of Yahoo! Mail. I know little about SMTP and POP3 but I can imagine there could be a lot of problems about backup of emails, synchronization of mails between...
  5. GAMERS, which OS do you use?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GAMERS, which OS do you use?: GAMERS, I'm going to build an inexpensive gaming machine and I started to wonder about the OS. I'm interested in knowing if I gamers run Linux (Ubuntu) or does it have to be windows? I have to pay for Window and I can get Linux for free...and since I don't do any gaming, I...
  6. Desktop email client as a frontend

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop email client as a frontend: Hello folks, There are a few desktop email clients threads on this board. I checked a few but none discussed what I am looking for. I have multiple email accounts. I used to use Thunderbird in the past until its database size ballooned over 6gb. Now switched to a far...
  7. email client

in Browsers and Email
    email client: I have Windows 10 pro and have been using Windows Mail; unfortunately it is erratic syncing and I just lost a valuable folder. It seems ok at times and I like its simplicity because I am at an average tech level. I have had other issues with it so have discontinued use....
  8. Ropemaker - new Exploit for Desktop Email Clients

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ropemaker - new Exploit for Desktop Email Clients: Mimecast (Email security vendor) has publish a warning today about possible email exploit called Ropemaker. A new type of email exploit could affect all kind of computer users, even the most advanced. Practically all desktop email clients are vulnerable to this exploit if...
  9. Is there a free email client for desktop use

in Browsers and Email
    Is there a free email client for desktop use: I use Outlook for my main email but I also have an gmail account as well as a hotmail (outlook). I would like a free email client that I can install on my computer so I can have a desktop email client for my gmail and hotmail accounts so I don't have to access it via web...
  10. Best alternative desktop email client

in Browsers and Email
    Best alternative desktop email client: Currently using Win Live Mail 2013 on desktop, but very buggy. Have tried Mail app in Win 10 but not as comprehensive as WinLiveMail Any suggestions for alternative stand alone desktop email client? *Smile 72169