Windows 10: which file types to exclude from AV scans?

Discus and support which file types to exclude from AV scans? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I use NIS (free with Comcast). I have several TB of total files on my system and I would like to exclude file types can can be excluded safely. As an... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by x509, Oct 15, 2018.

1. x509 Win User

which file types to exclude from AV scans?

I use NIS (free with Comcast). I have several TB of total files on my system and I would like to exclude file types can can be excluded safely.

As an example, I do a lot of photography, so I want to exclude NEF (RAW file created by Nikon cameras) and PSD (file type created by Photoshop). In that spirit, what other file types can I exclude, for non-photo applications?

I will NOT exclude JPGs, since I often get these in emails. Is TIFF safe to exclude?

:)

2. GillBatez Win User

Excluded File Types

I want to exclude .jpg files from custom scans since AFAIK they do not carry malware. It would seem like a simple task, but what is the format of this exclusion list? In the past one usually made a list like: .jpg,.bmp,.gif etc... is it the same for Windows
    Defender in Windows 10? Nowhere can I find that simple bit of information. Go to Defender help and it dumps you here to sift through thousands and thousands of posts. What a system.

Can anyone give me the format of the excluded file type list? It seems Defender doesn't care what you put there. You could type in the lord's prayer for all it cares.

GillBatez, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Edwin Win User
    Exclude "file type" from search

In Advanced Indexing Options uncheck to exclude .word file types if listed

which file types to exclude from AV scans? [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 15, 2018
  4. which file types to exclude from AV scans?

Excluded File Types

Settings | Windows Defender. Scroll down to
    Add an exclusion | Click on Exclude a file extension and type in the file extension.

Bruce Hagen, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

which file types to exclude from AV scans?

1. which file types to exclude from AV scans? - Similar Threads - file types exclude

2. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  3. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  4. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  5. Files excluded from sync

Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  6. Windows Defender scanning an excluded file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender scanning an excluded file: Hi Having Windows Defender running on a server 2016.Excluded a folder: s:\database\application\dataVerified in the logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Supportthe exclusion:2021-07-22T00:22:08.983Z [Exclusion] s:\database\application\data ->...
  7. Defender AV Scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender AV Scan: I know we don't have access to what a quick scan does on a consistent basis, but is there a way of retroactively seeing what was included in said scan? Log files, .cab, etc.? And were would those be located/ what is the preferred way of reading those? Thank you!...
  8. W10 Defender - no exclusion but a file IS excluded from scan...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 Defender - no exclusion but a file IS excluded from scan...: Today Defender gave me a false positive of a Trojan virus in a app that I know is clean (as admitted by many people on the internet and I used it many times before and nothing happened). After it gave me the false positive, I brought back the file/app from the quarantine and...
  9. Scan file type

Scan file type: I have windows 10 and HP printer MFP M377dw. from windows scan app, I am not able to choose scanned file format to PDF. kindly guide me how can I do that or can I do that or not....
  10. Exclude "file type" from search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude "file type" from search: I need to find all the files that contain the word "word" in them. When I try to search in File Explorer, I get all the files that are Microsoft Word files. How do I search for matches on only content within the file? I need to find all the files that contain the word...