Windows 10: Which folders does Windows 10 keep during a reinstall?

Discus and support Which folders does Windows 10 keep during a reinstall? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to reinstall my system, but I'd rather avoid backing up things I don't need to. I have one HDD with a ~300GB C:\ and a ~600GB D:\... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by notLeM, Feb 19, 2021.

1. notLeM Win User

Which folders does Windows 10 keep during a reinstall?

I would like to reinstall my system, but I'd rather avoid backing up things I don't need to.

I have one HDD with a ~300GB C:\ and a ~600GB D:\ partition. My programs and documents are generally on C:\ while I keep most of my downloads and video games on D:\.

Could someone please tell me which particular folders I don't need to back up? Also, will my D:\ partition be affected? Windows is quite vague regarding this stuff and there isn't much information I could find online.

:)

notLeM, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

Which folders does Windows 10 keep during a reinstall?

1. Which folders does Windows 10 keep during a reinstall? - Similar Threads - folders does keep

2. Why does teams keep reinstalling itself?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does teams keep reinstalling itself?: It's my computer not yours. This is why people hate microsoft, they just sell your data to advertising. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-teams-keep-reinstalling-itself/b7714d58-0e5b-44ac-9f16-85608c405a84
  3. Why does teams keep reinstalling itself?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does teams keep reinstalling itself?: It's my computer not yours. This is why people hate microsoft, they just sell your data to advertising. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-teams-keep-reinstalling-itself/b7714d58-0e5b-44ac-9f16-85608c405a84
  4. Reinstalling Win 10 - which version?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Win 10 - which version?: I installed Win 10 Pro v.1909 retail direct from Microsoft in April 2020. I've since updated as I've supposed to, so now I'm at the latest version. If I needed to reinstall Win 10 from bare metal, would I download the latest version using the Media Creation Tool, or use my...
  5. Blue screen crash during windows 10 reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blue screen crash during windows 10 reinstall: I was getting the blue screen of death too often so I decided to wipe the hard drive and do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. When the reinstall reached 64%, the blue screen crash appeared forcing windows to try and restart. Unfortunately since the reinstall wasn't a 100%...
  6. Windows 10 reverting to Home during clean reinstall

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reverting to Home during clean reinstall: I have a Dell Inspiron 3793 that is running Windows 10 Pro. In Settings>Update & Security>Activation, it shows: Edition: Windows 10 Pro Activation: Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account. When I attempt to perform a...
  7. Why does a software which should be installed in users\AppData folder keep getting...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does a software which should be installed in users\AppData folder keep getting...: There is a little software which is getting installed inside C:\Users\username\AppData\Local folder. That is the correct spot. But for some users it getting installed inside Program Filesx86 folder, which shouldn't be happen. User doesn't even try 'Run As Admin' option. But...
  8. Windows 10 folder keeps opening during bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 folder keeps opening during bootup: Windows 10 Pro The "Media" folder opens up automatically on my desktop during every single bootup. Anyone know how to stop this from happening? Note* This is not the media player folder. This title of this folder is simply "Media". This folder contains windows sounds. 157647
  9. Windows does not keep applications during sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows does not keep applications during sleep: Hi, I am running Windows 10 on DELL Volstro computer and find the following issues very annoying: - When I put the computer into sleep quick touch on "power" button and then come back again open the lid and light touch on "power" key, the computer seems to be restarting...
  10. skydrive directory keeps reinstalling folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    skydrive directory keeps reinstalling folders: I' running Windows 10 Home . My music folder, in which is my iTunes folder, somehow got buried in a subdirectory of skydrive. the path became: C:\Users\Jason Surow\SkyDrive\Videos\Eye-Fi Videos\Music I deleted the directories Music, Eye-Fi Videos, Videos, and SkyDrive,...