Windows 10: Which format for an external drive

Discus and support Which format for an external drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just bought a Seagate portable USB hard drive. It was supplied formatted as an ex-FAT drive. I changed this to NTFS. What's the 'best' format to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve C, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Steve C Win User

Which format for an external drive

I just bought a Seagate portable USB hard drive. It was supplied formatted as an ex-FAT drive. I changed this to NTFS. What's the 'best' format to use for external drives for Windows 10 use only?

:)

Steve C, Aug 30, 2019

2. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Which format for an external drive

Formatting External hard drive.

1. Launch the Disk Manager with diskmgmt.msc
    2. Use right-clicks to delete all partitions on the external disk
    3. Create one or several new partitions
    4. Format them

Frederik Long, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Which format for an external drive

1. Which format for an external drive - Similar Threads - format external drive

2. Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?: Hi,I would like to use my external drive for installing apps. Does it matter how the disk is formatted? Currently it is formatted as exFAT. When I try to move my Spotify app to the external drive, I get an error "This app is not supported on the target drive's filesystem."I...
  3. Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?: Hi,I would like to use my external drive for installing apps. Does it matter how the disk is formatted? Currently it is formatted as exFAT. When I try to move my Spotify app to the external drive, I get an error "This app is not supported on the target drive's filesystem."I...
  4. Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Formatting an external drive

Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  6. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  7. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. External Hard Drive Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Format: Good day everyone. I'm having difficulties with formatting my external hard drive. For the past 2-3 days, I've been trying to format it. It started acting up after sending 2 files of about 5gb each, I transferred these files at night, then the following day, it doesn't show...
  9. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/ceefbfcb-e153-43f1-aa11-66086963ac41"
  10. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/78657fa9-d525-422d-a53a-44d4f459d0b4"