Windows 10: Which is better: Sleep or Shut down?

Discus and support Which is better: Sleep or Shut down? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; In terms of perfomance and improving the life of a desktop, is it better to shut the computer down at night or just put it to sleep? I don't use my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Spikerbl, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Spikerbl Win User

Which is better: Sleep or Shut down?

In terms of perfomance and improving the life of a desktop, is it better to shut the computer down at night or just put it to sleep? I don't use my computer frequently enough to keep it on all the time, and I don't mind waiting an extra 30 seconds for it to boot, but does shutting it down wear the computer down?

:)

Spikerbl, Oct 14, 2016
  2. vmoisa Win User

Which is better or E70

Well, actually I think you are extremely right !

S60 is deffinitely a better fit for E70 than E90, while the bigger screen of E90 is just not justified by price. The software is the same on E70 and E90, while E70 is ligher, cheaper and it does not pretend to be a Communicator. If I only knew in advance what
    really is under the hood of E90 I would have deffinitely gone for E70.

Good point !

vmoisa, Oct 14, 2016
  3. turo---01 Win User
    Which is better or E70

E70 has:

- 352 x 416 or 416 x 352 resolution (best after E90 secondary display..)

- Keypad & qwerty

- WLAN & 3G

- With BT GPS dongle best GPS solution possible (SIRF III)

I just wonder why people have other devices then E70? Example N95 has lower resolution, worse GPS compared to BT dongle with E70 (also usable indoors when dongle outside in range). 2M camera is perferct if you are going to send images also (so N95 example has
    much larger image and video file size with default settings)

Compared to E90, E 70 is smaller, both has qwerty and two display modes. In E90, other display is smaller and other little bit wider:

E90 800x352 vs E70 416x352

&

E90 240x320 vs E70 352x416

turo---01, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Which is better: Sleep or Shut down?

Going all the way back to when MS first created "Sleep", as a function in Windows, it's been buggy and has caused countless people GRIEF. For instance, the comment, "help! My PC went to sleep and now I can't wake it up!"

If your computer is not a server, and does not need to be on 24x7 (very special and expensive computers are made for that purpose)Then like any other household appliance, when not using it, turn it OFF.

Both you and your computer will be much safer when it is OFF, with all power removed from it.
    I have seen a PC power supply catch fire when it was presumably turned off. As long as a PC PSU is plugged into the line power, it's technically ON and producing voltage.
    For maximum safety, with all my PC's, they are plugged into a switchable power strip, and after I do a full Shutdown, I turn OFF the line power at the Power Strip.That prevents a problem with, power surges, while my PC is turned OFF, that could cause components to fail and catch fire inside the PSU.

Good Luck,
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Oct 14, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I agree with you - Shut down the PC when finished and switch it off at the mains. You will then have a clean restart and avoid some of the problems when recovering from sleep. My PCs start in about 20 secs from power on to the login screen using a SSD for the OS. The fire risk hazard is often overlooked - any fireman will tell you to switch off and unplug appliances when not in use. The main downside is that you might need to replace your BIOS battery a bit more often since there is no external power being supplied to the motherboard when the PC is unplugged.

Steve C, Oct 15, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    I just prefer to completely shut my PC down. It boots fast enough anyway (10 seconds).

swarfega, Oct 15, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Servers are fine - just consume a few watts in "Idle mode" - even if using a Server at home I would leave it on (although power here is probably amongst the cheapest on the planet - clean geothermal energy - some companies we give 35 year contracts to when they establish data centres in the country).

Re-starting Servers always takes a bit of "fuddle" and if you use things like headless servers for NAS devices etc then leaving them on usually means once it's up the IP address doesn't change very often - if at all once the server is booted up so you don't need to mess around with rubbish like TEAMVIEWER or other Dynamic IP solutions.

By a Server I mean a proper purpose built server - these are designed to run almost indefinitely and consume very little power when in "Idle mode". Starting them up takes far longer than a "typical computer" due mainly to the rigorous load of diagnostics Servers go through -- they are specifically designed to be robust and left unattended often for MONTHS at a time if not longer.

Laptops etc switch them off when not in use.

BTW if you want to access your PC / server remotely and you have a dynamic IP address (most ISP's always give dynamic IP addresses now) simply every so often say once an hour have a script that automatically gets your IP address on the server (a background script can do this - or if a Linux OS use CRONTAB) and then email it to yourself.

Then you can always access your server via IP address -- simply ensure that the LOCAL address on your LAN is fixed and port forward the appropriate ports if you are using say RDP or similar to connect.

Putty is another way - with tunnelling but that's way beyond the scope of this post.

How to Set Up an SSH Tunnel With PuTTY - SkyVerge

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 16, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

What's more appropriate to your situation - rather than 'better' perhaps- sleep has always worked for me, and I use it if I'm going to be away for a short while. Shut down otherwise.

That's despite having a SSD- and no logon on resume- resuming from sleep takes a couple of seconds.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2016
  9. Barman58 Win User
    I used to use the Intelligent mode where the system would initially go into sleep mode and then if not used for a set time would proceed into Hibernate mode - best of both worlds - the speed of start-up and the safety that a power failure should not cause any major issues. I'ts better IMO than the sleep mode as it's more secure

Now my systems are supplied from UPS I do not have the issue of a sudden loss of power ( The UPS will "parachute" the system to a safe shut-down, after a time of continuing things fully active)

I leave the system running 24/7/365 but make sure it's restarted at least once a week ( normally Before & After any system updates or software install, (the restart before the update is proof that the system was booting before the changes *Wink so any issues are due to the update not any other cause ))

Barman58, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Which is better: Sleep or Shut down? - Similar Threads - better Sleep Shut

2. Shutting down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutting down instead of sleeping: When I put it on sleep, it automatically shuts down. I have to force restart every time and loose all my work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-down-instead-of-sleeping/b554dbef-82c7-49ea-ba8a-38c45e25613e
  3. Shutting down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutting down instead of sleeping: When I put it on sleep, it automatically shuts down. I have to force restart every time and loose all my work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-down-instead-of-sleeping/b554dbef-82c7-49ea-ba8a-38c45e25613e
  4. "Sleep" is shutting down pc.

in Windows 10 Support
    "Sleep" is shutting down pc.: my pc used to "go to sleep" without any issue. latly ive install my windows on protable ssd drive, and since then "Sleep" is shutting down pc. the option "sleep" is visible but i acutually turning of pc. what does this happen? is it related to the fact the the system is...
  5. Which is better ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which is better ?: Hello guys i have some problems with my pc ( stutters ) i tride everything to fix it but didnt helped so im trying to re installing windows now but i dont know what is better to do it , should i reinstalling it with flash drive or i do reset recovrey and remove evereything ....
  6. Sleep occcasionallly shuts down

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep occcasionallly shuts down: About one in ten times, W10 Pro (64-bit) shuts down instead of auto-sleeps. This began after a z390a motherboard was replaced by an identical board. Every suggestion at this site has been tried. SFC is clean. The latest Intel MEI is installed. Video driver is up-to-date....
  7. Which is better for a laptop? Leave on or shut down and reboot +&+

in Windows 10 Support
    Which is better for a laptop? Leave on or shut down and reboot +&+: I have a Dell Precision M4800. I have developed the habit of using the laptop for a short time, stop, come back later and use again, and again and again. I start around 8 in the morning and finish off around 7 or 8 in the evening. I never write/translate/design for more than...
  8. which is better?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    which is better?: Which is better, Windows Defender or Norton 360? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-is-better/3634df74-df1b-4bf2-9967-7084e0174821"
  9. Sleep and Shut Down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep and Shut Down: Using Windows 10. After last update, when I put my computer to sleep and then close the lid, it shuts itself down. Power settings are all as before the update.....I selected the option to have the computer go to sleep when the lid is closed. Anyone else having this...
  10. Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.: Hey everybody! I've found these forums to be a tremendous help with other troubleshooting issues I've had in the past. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out again! Anyway, the problem is that the whenever I shut down my computer, there's a very short delay...