Windows 10: Which metada data field does Photo app use to create the folder while importing?

Discus and support Which metada data field does Photo app use to create the folder while importing? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My GoPro had a depleted battery, and its date was reset. I edited the exif "Creation Date" field. Using the file explorer properties dialog I can see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Paulo Eduado Neves, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Which metada data field does Photo app use to create the folder while importing?

My GoPro had a depleted battery, and its date was reset. I edited the exif "Creation Date" field. Using the file explorer properties dialog I can see that it was correctly edited, But when I try to import the photos and MP4s from a pen drive they are all imported as they were taken in 2013.

My import configuration is "By Date".

I want to know which exif metadata fields the Photo App uses to create the folders while importing JPGs and MP4s. So I would correct it and have they imported where I want.

:)

Paulo Eduado Neves, Aug 4, 2019

2. Which metada data field does Photo app use to create the folder while importing?

My GoPro had a depleted battery, and its date was reset. I edited the exif "Creation Date" field. Using the file explorer properties dialog I can see that it was correctly edited, But when I try to import the photos and MP4s from a pen drive they are all
    imported as they were taken in 2013.

My import configuration is "By Date".

I want to know which exif metadata fields the Photo App uses to create the folders while importing JPGs and MP4s. So I would correct it and have they imported where I want.

Paulo Eduado Neves, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    importing photos

Thank you for clearing that out. It looks like you are importing the files using the Photos app. When you import photos using this app, the files get imported into your Pictures library. To view these files, refer to these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the list of folders on the left side of the window, click on Pictures. You shall see the photos imported from the SD card using the Photos app.

Another option you have is to import the files solely using File Explorer. Here's how you can do it:

• Connect the SD card into the computer.
    • Launch File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Locate your SD card under Devices and drives.
    • Double-click on the SD card.
    • Manually choose which photos to move into your local folders. Right-click on each photo and choose
      Copy (Ctrl + C) then go to the destination folder then right-click on an empty space in the window and select
      Paste (Ctrl + V).
    • If you are importing all the photos, you can press Ctrl + A on the keyboard to select all of the files. Copy then Paste them into the destination folder.
    • If you are importing selective photos, hold the Ctrl key while clicking on the photos you want to copy. This will let you choose a number of photos instead of selecting all of them like what Step 7 suggests.

Once you're able to get the hang of the tricks, importing photos will not be a challenge anymore.

Tell us which method works best for you.

We're here if you need more help.

Ruz San, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Which metada data field does Photo app use to create the folder while importing?

Windows 10 photos won't import

Hi,

Since you mentioned that you were able to import photos the first time you tried it, we suggest that you download and run the
    Windows app troubleshooter and check if it resolves the issue. This troubleshooter will scan your PC and attempt to automatically fix issues with the Windows store apps.

If the Photo app still isn't working, try to reset it by following these steps:

• In the Search box, type Settings.
    • From the results, click on Settings to run the app.
    • Tap System and select Apps & features.
    • Click on the Photos app and hit Advanced options.
    • Press Reset.

You may also want to check if you have permissions to the folder to which you are importing the photos. Here are the steps to give permissions to the folder:

• Right-click on the Pictures folder, in the File Explorer, and select
      Properties.
    • Under the Security tab, click on HomeUsers
      under Group or Username.
    • Choose Full Control under Permissions for System
    • Repeat steps 2 & 3 for Administrators under Group
      or Username.
    Restart your PC and try importing the photos again.

Additionally, you may want to read Andre Da Costa's Forum article using the link below for more info:

Complete Guide to Importing Your Photos in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

Which metada data field does Photo app use to create the folder while importing?

1. Which metada data field does Photo app use to create the folder while importing? - Similar Threads - metada data field

2. Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing: Microsoft needs to fix this and return the feature to create date folders as an option, it doesn't make sense to take this away from customers in a windows 10 upgrade very frustrating...
  3. Importing photos - does not auto create folder now

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Importing photos - does not auto create folder now: Hi, when i used to import photos - windows auto created a dated folder, that was great and saved me lots of time. Now it doesn't and its a nightmare and takes a very long time. As a surveyor we are importing 100's of photos a week. Can it be rectified please ? Urgently!...
  4. automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app: my system used to do this but doesn't now for some reason; the photo app just imports all files to pictures\. I can't find the setting to create a subfolder on import. Can anyone help?...
  5. Photos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more??

Photos App used to import and create folders in Pictures library...but not any more??: Greetings, I've enjoyed the functionality of the Photos app for allowing me to backup the pics and vids on my phone. It was so easy because Photos would create folders in my Pictures library for the month and year the pics and vids were taken. This helped me maintain my...
  6. Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing

Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing: I work as a photographer and up until now, when I would import my photos into the photo app, it would automatically create a folder titled with the date and place all the photos from that day in that file. Now, all of the sudden, it's not doing that and it's kind of ruining...
  7. The Windows 10 built-in Photo App used to automatically import photos into folders...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Windows 10 built-in Photo App used to automatically import photos into folders...: [Note: I’m not a Windows user myself; this question is being asked on behalf of my dad] My dad uses a Canon digital PowerShot camera for work (it’s about 10 years old) and up until about a week or two ago, was apparently able to import photos via the built-in Photo app on...
  8. Windows photo import does not sort into folders

Windows photo import does not sort into folders: My Windows 10 Home used to import photos from my Sony XQD card reader and put each import session into a folder. It used to do it by month folders appeared as 2020-01 then through 2020 it has started doing it by day folders appeared as 2020-08-03 and now recently it just...
  9. Is there a way to find out which program created which files in folders like app data or...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to find out which program created which files in folders like app data or...: Sometimes the folder labels don’t match with any known program so I’m unsure if it’s leftovers from an uninstalled program or actually used submitted by /u/Bombzopple [link] [comments]...
  10. Issues while importing photos from iPhone using Photos app

Issues while importing photos from iPhone using Photos app: I have previously imported photos from my phone with no issue, and decided it was about time that that I imported some again. Last night I connected my phone, opened the photos app and began to import the images. I left it to do it's thing and I returned to this message. The...