Windows 10: Which Microsoft licenses are required for using VDI environment?

Discus and support Which Microsoft licenses are required for using VDI environment? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; All client machines are private employees machines Operating Systems iOS, MacOS, Android, Windows Home en Pro wich would imply that only Microsoft VDA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MartijnJager, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Which Microsoft licenses are required for using VDI environment?

All client machines are private employees machines Operating Systems iOS, MacOS, Android, Windows Home en Pro wich would imply that only Microsoft VDA licensing can be used for every physical computer used in this scenario.
    -> Does VDA include an Windows 10 Enterprise license for the VM's or should these licenses be bought seperately.
    -> Which Microsoft server version is at least required 2012R2 or newer?
    -> Should the server, in case of server 2016 and 2019 be licensed with a minimum of 16 2-core license 2 cpu's with 8-cores each?
    -> Is a Server CAL required for each VM and/or used private computer?
    -> Are other licenses required?

:)

MartijnJager, Jul 29, 2020
  2. wishihad Win User

Activation options for Win10 with instant clones

We have a secure (no internet access) lab environment setup to test and validate a VMWare VDI deployment of Win10 clients.

Our issue is activation of the Win10 clients as they require re-activation every time we logoff and back on because we are using instant clones.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to resolve this? Here are the options we are considering and issues as we understand them:

• Setup a KMS server
      • Requires a Volume license, which is doable
      • Documentation says we must have a minimum of 25 hosts, we don' have that in our lab
    • Use our MSDN account
      • No support for Win10 KMS license
      • No support for MKS activation
    • Manually activate each time
      • Gonna spend a lot of time on the phone Which Microsoft licenses are required for using VDI environment? :(
      • Win10 has no grace period so machines are crippled w/o activation
    Anyone have a thought or suggestions? I'm hoping I missed something.

Thanks

wishihad, Jul 29, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Which Microsoft licenses are required for using VDI environment?

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Which Microsoft licenses are required for using VDI environment?

1. Which Microsoft licenses are required for using VDI environment? - Similar Threads - Microsoft licenses are

2. OS license requirement for VDI

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OS license requirement for VDI: Hi,We are deploying a VDI on Citrix. Planning to use Windows 10 / 11 as operating system.We currently have M365 Business premium subscription, which comes with Windows for Business entitlement. Would this license be enough or do we need additional licenses for Operating...
  3. OS license requirement for VDI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OS license requirement for VDI: Hi,We are deploying a VDI on Citrix. Planning to use Windows 10 / 11 as operating system.We currently have M365 Business premium subscription, which comes with Windows for Business entitlement. Would this license be enough or do we need additional licenses for Operating...
  4. OS license requirement for VDI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lightweight Defender Config for VDI Instant Clone Environment

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lightweight Defender Config for VDI Instant Clone Environment: Our organization has a VDI environment close to 10,000 sessions with VMware Horizon non-persistent instant clones. Our thin clients are set up as kiosks and every time a user logs off, it wipes the VM and spins up a fresh one. Typically, no VMs are alive for more than a day...
  6. Windows 10 License for VM in VDI Scenario

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 License for VM in VDI Scenario: Hello,In a VDI on-premise scenario, what OS license should I install on the VM that the user will be accessing? I understand that Windows VDA is required for each user for access rights, but how about the VM dedicated to each of them? Can I just use a normal Windows 10...
  7. Windows 10 License for VM in VDI Scenario

Windows 10 License for VM in VDI Scenario: Hello,In a VDI on-premise scenario, what OS license should I install on the VM that the user will be accessing? I understand that Windows VDA is required for each user for access rights, but how about the VM dedicated to each of them? Can I just use a normal Windows 10...
  8. Can a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro ESD license be used in a virtual environment?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro ESD license be used in a virtual environment?: Can a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro ESD license be used in a virtual environment? We need to verify if we can use the ESD license to create a virtual Windows 10 session/instance on a server?...
  9. Can a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro ESD license be used in a virtual environment?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro ESD license be used in a virtual environment?: Can a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro ESD license be used in a virtual environment? We need to verify if we can use the ESD license to create a virtual Windows 10 session/instance on a server?...
  10. Can a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro ESD license be used in a virtual environment?