Windows 10: Which Monitor

Discus and support Which Monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; https://www.amazon.com/LG-32MA68HY-...rs&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:3547808011... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lostsoul65, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Which Monitor

lostsoul65, Nov 19, 2016
  2. Elliander Win User

Controlling which monitor displays which content by default (why isn't it a setting?)

I have a multi monitor workstation setup. I have encountered a series of problems that I was hoping either Microsoft had a solution for, or is something a solution can be developed for.

The first problem I encountered is that the vast majority of programs with a full screen mode will only open full screen on the "main display". So no matter where you put the window it will always be stuck in just the one. This is, to the best of my knowledge,
    a setting controlled by the program developer, but I don't see why Microsoft can't have an option of their own as to where to open it by default. (As a side note, I'd love to know where this setting is because as a developer I've never found a way to control
    that, although I'm relatively new to multi monitor environments)

To work around this problem I decided to set up the monitors to extended displays, made the "main display" the monitor I always want to use for full screen applications and then dragged all of my icons and windows over to the other monitors.

The problem now is that programs open pieces of themselves seemingly at random spread across all the monitors. If I drag one over to the monitor I want it to open it next time it will eventually learn which one I want it to open it, but then if I use "Microsoft
    Remote Desktop" with Android to control the computer it collapses everything into one monitor and won't go back to the way it was when I am back in my office. I have to manually configure everything each and every time. It's tedious and stupid. Turning off
    a monitor produces the same result.

[Using Microsoft Remote Desktop also temporarily displays keyboard shortcuts to move the windows that normally can be moved that way]

The notification area is also not setup to ever use multiple monitors. They will ALWAYS be in the "primary display" with no way to drag them around or even duplicating them across extended displays. Obviously if the monitors are side by side this is less of
    a concern, but not every work environment does this. When we consider that many programs are set to minimize to the notification area this increases the difficulty in controlling the behavior of the work environment. Quite a few programs simply cannot be set
    to function outside of the primary display.

I don't understand why Windows 10 doesn't have a setting as to what behavior to use depending on how many monitors are in current use. If I turn off a monitor, or if I use a remote desktop, I do expect that it will combine the screens. However, how difficult
    would it have been for Microsoft to have Windows "remember" what to do when the monitor is available again? Shouldn't it go back to how it was? Shouldn't there be a "Monitor Profile" system where I can control the list of programs using which monitor when
    a given combination of monitors is detected? Where instead of just merging everything when the combination changes, to refer to these settings if available. It seems like this really should be a user controlled setting, rather than an issue of default.

I did find a work around to some degree: If I install Windows 10 inside a virtual machine I can control the monitors that way, but to really do that at full speed with each monitor using it's own instance of windows I would need to use Linux as the primary
    OS. This is an annoying work around though, because it would mean I would have to treat my office computer as a personal computer lab rather than a multi monitor work environment. It would prevent me from changing my mind about which monitor to launch what.
    It would also require considerable time to move everything to virtual machines. Plus, I doubt Microsoft really wants to encourage people to moving away from windows entirely as the primary OS. If I don't find an alternative though I'd be better off taking
    the time to do this rather than having to change all the behaviors each and every day multiple times a day.

Elliander, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Elliander Win User
    Controlling which monitor displays which content by default (why isn't it a setting?)

Display drivers are up to date and has absolutely nothing to do with the problem. If you actually read the problem you would know the issue is related to a lack of proper settings in Windows itself. This is all normal behavior for the average user and
    that makes it even more of a problem that there is no setting for it.

Nvidia control panel can do quite a bit, but it can't control the appearance of windows dialog boxes, where a program appears when it opens, or the location of the notification bar, or override programs set to only go full screen in the main display. That's
    the job of the operating system.

Elliander, Nov 19, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Which Monitor

I have a Viewsonic VP2770 monitor and find the monitor USB ports useful. I use the monitor USB ports for the Sypder monitor calibrator, iPod, cameras, TomTom etc.

Steve C, Nov 20, 2016
  5. Do Computer monitors take AC or DC in this day and age? All I see are DC. Have they stop using AC?

lostsoul65, Nov 20, 2016
  6. LOTN Win User
    lostsoul65 depends which country you're in, but has nothing to do with your original post. now as for monitors to use with 10 i'd personally make sure it is a touch screen. there are a couple of nice ones by acer on newegg. as for a usb port on the monitor it is a waste, buy a cheap hub.

7. Are all the monitors Gloss because I can't seem to get a 32 inch matted screen. Even when the manufacture says it's matted and people using them say it's gloss. I've spent hours researching these monitors and I still come up short.

lostsoul65, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Which Monitor

1. Which Monitor - Similar Threads - Monitor

2. keyboard and mouse are detected using kvm but the monitor gets no signal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard and mouse are detected using kvm but the monitor gets no signal: Hey, I had and old monitor Samsung that works using KVM switch ugreen with 2 computers T14 Lenovo and desktopsuccessfully , now I bought new monitor LG Ultragear 32GQ750-B and connected it to the KVM The desktop works properly but the laptop works only for the mouse and the...
  3. keyboard and mouse are detected using kvm but the monitor gets no signal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    keyboard and mouse are detected using kvm but the monitor gets no signal: Hey, I had and old monitor Samsung that works using KVM switch ugreen with 2 computers T14 Lenovo and desktopsuccessfully , now I bought new monitor LG Ultragear 32GQ750-B and connected it to the KVM The desktop works properly but the laptop works only for the mouse and the...
  4. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected: I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the...
  5. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected: I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the...
  6. External monitor not working after an update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor not working after an update: I tried a different cable, driver update, driver unistall/reinstall. Windows does not detect second monitor and the monitor states no signal when hdmi plugged in and turned on....
  7. External monitor not working after an update

External monitor not working after an update: I tried a different cable, driver update, driver unistall/reinstall. Windows does not detect second monitor and the monitor states no signal when hdmi plugged in and turned on....
  8. External monitor not working after an update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Device doesn't detect any monitor connecter through display port.

Device doesn't detect any monitor connecter through display port.: [System Not Detecting]OS: Windows 10 EnterpriseGraphic Card: Intel Iris Xe Graphics[System detecting]OS: Windows 10 HomeGraphic Card: Intel UHD graphics 620 + NVIDIA GeForce MX130One of my systems doesn't detects any monitor connected through the display ports whereas other...
  10. Device doesn't detect any monitor connecter through display port.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device doesn't detect any monitor connecter through display port.: [System Not Detecting]OS: Windows 10 EnterpriseGraphic Card: Intel Iris Xe Graphics[System detecting]OS: Windows 10 HomeGraphic Card: Intel UHD graphics 620 + NVIDIA GeForce MX130One of my systems doesn't detects any monitor connected through the display ports whereas other...