Windows 10: Which of these towers would you get and why?

Discus and support Which of these towers would you get and why? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm looking to replace my current PC with a two-monitor setup for a new tower with a three-monitor setup. I'm not an expert in this area and would love... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mobster011, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Which of these towers would you get and why?

I'm looking to replace my current PC with a two-monitor setup for a new tower with a three-monitor setup. I'm not an expert in this area and would love some feedback on which would be best for my needs.

I'm self-employed and the bulk of my work is done in Outlook, Excel and several web-based applications. I don't do any video editing and do minimal photo editing, where I used Pixlr. If any additional info may be needed to assess which tower would be best, please feel free to ask.

With that said, here are my current options. If a better alternative around the same price is available, I'm definitely interested. So...what do you think is best and why?

Lenovo Ideacentre 720-18ASU
    $850.00 at Best Buy
    3 GHz AMD Ryzen 7
    4GB AMD Radeon RX 560
    1TB HDD
    16 GB RAM
    1 HDMI
    1 VGA
    1 DVI
    1 DP
    6 USB Ports

Dell XPS 8920-7922BLK-PUS (This looks like I could only do two monitors??)
    $899.00 at Costco
    3.6 GHz (8M cache, up to 4.2 Ghz) 7th Generation Intel i7-7700
    8GB AMD Radeon RX 480
    1TB HDD + 256GB SSD
    24 GB RAM
    1 HDMI
    1 DP
    8 USB Ports

Dell XPS 8930-7401BLK-PUS
    $899.00 at Costco (Reg. $999. $100 off until 2/4/18)
    3.2 GHz (12M cache, up to 4.6 Ghz) 8th Generation Intel i7-8700
    4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti graphics
    2TB HDD
    16 GB RAM
    1 HDMI
    1 DP
    I thought this had 1 VGA port in the store?
    6 USB Ports

:)

mobster011, Feb 2, 2018

2. which of these cases would you recommend????

there are plastic clips be ingenious stick it on lol

roberth---01, Feb 2, 2018
  3. puppyduck Win User
    which of these cases would you recommend????

the point of it for me is taht you can keep it in the leather case all the time, don't have to take it out, i don't mind opening the flap to take a picture. the phone will have to spend a lot of time in my bag as it's v chunky in my front jeans pocket
    so i'd need something with max protection. was on proporta's website earlier, they're currently re-designing the Crystal plastic cover, so maybe the new one might not be so breakable!

puppyduck, Feb 2, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

Which of these towers would you get and why?

What would main uses for that computer be ? For gaming, Dell XPS 8920-7922BLK-PUS looks best on account of best GPU and also has an SSD. And yes it can run 3 monitors, all of them can. That particular Rx 480 has 3 HDMI and one DP ports. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti should have 2 HDMI and one DVI ports. so it also can run 3 monitors. Any of those ports can be used with a proper adapter to connect to any monitor with DVI, HDMI and Display Port and with an active adapter even to VGA monitor.

Radeon™ RX 480 Graphics Card | AMD

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti | Specifications | GeForce

CountMike, Feb 2, 2018
  5. I'm self-employed and the bulk of my work is done in Outlook, Excel and several web-based applications. I don't do any video editing and do minimal photo editing, where I use Pixlr. I also have music or video streaming at all times.

I don't plan on doing any gaming but want a work PC that will last 5+ years.

mobster011, Feb 2, 2018
  6. CountMike New Member
    Than first and last have more future as they could be upgraded with development life of at least 2 years while new CPUs will be available for those platforms, You could always ad an SSD for them.

CountMike, Feb 2, 2018
  7. Can you please explain what you mean by that? What could be upgraded?

When I was comparing, my eye went to the XPS 8920 because it had 24GB of RAM and (I believe) better graphics card. Does the newer Intel chip on the 8930 outweigh these benefits if I'm not going to do any more than basic gaming? Multitasking would be 98% of what I do with usually music but sometimes video.

What about the Lenovo would be better for me than the Dell's?

I very appreciate your expertise!

mobster011, Feb 2, 2018
  8. CountMike New Member

Basically, CPU can be more readily upgraded on first and last. All other parts can be upgraded in all of them any time you want.

CountMike, Feb 2, 2018
  9. I've never upgraded any parts of a PC before, so let's take that out of consideration. What do you think of my last post on my thought process on the 8920 vs 8930?

Or do you think the Lenovo would be a better fit for me? I don't mind the extra $50 on the Dell's so don't factor in the price difference.

mobster011, Feb 2, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    8920 is best equipped of all 3 although with worst processor.

CountMike, Feb 2, 2018
  11. Thanks CountMike. Do you suggest I go with the 8930 with better processor and less RAM or 8920 with lesser processor and more RAM?

mobster011, Feb 2, 2018
  12. CountMike New Member
    If you promise to ad an SSD to it, last one would do a better job for you on account on processor alone.16GB of RAM should also be quite enough.

CountMike, Feb 2, 2018
  13. bobkn Win User

I'm not sure that the CPU in the 8920 (the I7-7700) is unambiguously inferior to the other CPUs. It is one generation older than the 8700 in the Dell 8930, but that doesn't make it old. My main PC uses an I7-5930k CPU. I haven't updated in years because the newer CPUs aren't a whole lot better.

I have the impression that none of your uses will require a lot of PC resources.

How many monitors do you wish to use? I don't know how many connections the discrete graphics cards on the Dells have, but I doubt that they only have the two each that you list. How many monitors do you want, with what interfaces?

bobkn, Feb 2, 2018
  14. CountMike New Member
    It's old in the sense of being superseded along with it's chipset.

CountMike, Feb 2, 2018
  15. I'm looking to use 3 monitors. Which do you think would be best for multitasking with spreadsheets, a couple web based apps and streaming video with the very occasional photo editing in Pixlr, a web based editing softwarr.?

mobster011, Feb 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Which of these towers would you get and why? - Similar Threads - towers why

2. This is a repeat problem. I bought a new PC Tower and loaded my legit copy of FSX...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This is a repeat problem. I bought a new PC Tower and loaded my legit copy of FSX...: The previous solution involved going into the software keys and changing a letter to capitals. Anybody out there remember solving this for me a few years ago?...
  3. This is a repeat problem. I bought a new PC Tower and loaded my legit copy of FSX...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This is a repeat problem. I bought a new PC Tower and loaded my legit copy of FSX...: The previous solution involved going into the software keys and changing a letter to capitals. Anybody out there remember solving this for me a few years ago?...
  4. Where is the manual or protocol to answer this towers questions? I command here.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is the manual or protocol to answer this towers questions? I command here.: Red alertSealClerksCity titles Military titlesRelationships by direction Relationships by appointment of books or fantasyRez book to remember one dayConvergesUpdate computers in readiness for repairs...
  5. Where is the manual or protocol to answer this towers questions? I command here.

Where is the manual or protocol to answer this towers questions? I command here.: Red alertSealClerksCity titles Military titlesRelationships by direction Relationships by appointment of books or fantasyRez book to remember one dayConvergesUpdate computers in readiness for repairs...
  6. Why did I get a bluescreen and heat coming from the tower after startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did I get a bluescreen and heat coming from the tower after startup?: I had just shut down my PC for a sec to clean the keyboard and when I turned it back on, it got to the lock screen and then it bluescreened a second later. My files are still there but my patience is decreasiing. There was some heat that came off the tower right before the...
  7. Why did I get a bluescreen and heat coming from the tower after startup?

Why did I get a bluescreen and heat coming from the tower after startup?: I had just shut down my PC for a sec to clean the keyboard and when I turned it back on, it got to the lock screen and then it bluescreened a second later. My files are still there but my patience is decreasiing. There was some heat that came off the tower right before the...
  8. Why did I get a bluescreen and heat coming from the tower after startup?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Why wont my PC tower completely shut off after moving from Windows 10 to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why wont my PC tower completely shut off after moving from Windows 10 to Windows 11?: I just updated my pc from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on 3/18/23 and now my tower wont shut off completely like it did before. I tried turning fast start up off, disabling my drivers and re-installing them etc. but still have no clue on why it wont shut off. I even tried...
  10. Why wont my PC tower completely shut off after moving from Windows 10 to Windows 11?

Why wont my PC tower completely shut off after moving from Windows 10 to Windows 11?: I just updated my pc from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on 3/18/23 and now my tower wont shut off completely like it did before. I tried turning fast start up off, disabling my drivers and re-installing them etc. but still have no clue on why it wont shut off. I even tried...