Windows 10: Which recovery partitions and folders can safely be removed?

Discus and support Which recovery partitions and folders can safely be removed? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; v1903 installed on a ~256GB MBR disk. Code: C:\Recovery [folder] 4.86 GB used <unnamed> [partition] 534 MB "Healthy, (Recovery Partition)" Recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JohnGray, Jun 21, 2019.

1. JohnGray Win User

Which recovery partitions and folders can safely be removed?

v1903 installed on a ~256GB MBR disk.
    Code: C:\Recovery [folder] 4.86 GB used <unnamed> [partition] 534 MB "Healthy, (Recovery Partition)" Recovery Image [partition] 11.72 GB "Healthy, (Primary Partition)"[/quote] I'm hoping to tidy up this hard drive.
    Please could someone indicate which if any of the above three items can be removed.
    I'm fairly certain the small Recovery Partition can be deleted, but I haven't been able to find much about the Recovery Image partition.
    Thanks!

:)

JohnGray, Jun 21, 2019
  2. Trae Win User

Windows 10: Can I safely remove WINRE or RECOVERY partitions?

I'm attempting to install Ubuntu Linux alongside Windows 10 in a dual-boot configuration. However, my hard drive comes with four Primary partitions already created, as seen here in gParted:

Which recovery partitions and folders can safely be removed? Cvk5p.png

Thus, I must remove a partition to allow for an extended partition, in which I can place my logical partitions for Linux. I'll shrink the Windows partition to create space.

• I created a recovery USB drive using the HP Recovery Media Creation tool desktop app. Does this drive fully replace the functionality of either the WINRE or RECOVERY partitions? If so, can I safely remove either partition without messing up my Windows 10 installation in any way (including boot process), voiding any warranties, or preventing myself from restoring Windows 10 in the future?
    • I know that holding Shift while clicking the Restart button will restart your computer into a special menu where you can change certain settings or boot from removable media (source, step 4 in the article). Is this special menu reliant on either the WINRE or RECOVERY partitions? Is the computer in fact booting into one of these partitions to display this menu?
    • What exactly are the purposes of these two partitions?

NOTE: I've read other questions regarding hard drives with four primary partitions already created. They don't resolve my issue, as they don't address the WINRE and RECOVERY partitions on a Windows 10 system specifically.

3. Remove Recovery Partition and Go to Recovery Drive During HDD to SSD Upgrade

What I wanted

• Remove the recovery partition
    • Use a recovery drive

My view now is that the best solution is

• The migration software will not copy the recovery partition - effectively removing it from the SSD
    • Use a recovery drive. (I will use the control panel utility to put recovery tools on a usb flash drive - giving me a recovery drive to use.)

I believe my question is answered. Thank you for your help.

Edmond Danta, Jun 21, 2019
  4. Anusha Win User

How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Which recovery partitions and folders can safely be removed? - Similar Threads - recovery partitions folders

2. Which of these partitions drives are safe to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which of these partitions drives are safe to delete: So I am trying to install windows 11 on my laptop by myself and so far I’ve been doing good but when it’s comes down to which drive I should download it I don’t know because I’m scared deleting or formatting one will have a negative effect on my system can you please help me...
  3. Which of these partitions drives are safe to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which of these partitions drives are safe to delete: So I am trying to install windows 11 on my laptop by myself and so far I’ve been doing good but when it’s comes down to which drive I should download it I don’t know because I’m scared deleting or formatting one will have a negative effect on my system can you please help me...
  4. Is it safe to remove this particular partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to remove this particular partition?: I am mostly clearing space for my drive or storage when I saw this partition Highlighted in red that gives me some vibes that if I delete it then my pc breaks. That partition just appeared after an update for windows 10So my main question is, is it safe to remove?...
  5. Is it safe to remove this particular partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to remove this particular partition?: I am mostly clearing space for my drive or storage when I saw this partition Highlighted in red that gives me some vibes that if I delete it then my pc breaks. That partition just appeared after an update for windows 10So my main question is, is it safe to remove?I dont know...
  6. Safe procedure to Remove Old Recovery Partition at beginning of Disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Safe procedure to Remove Old Recovery Partition at beginning of Disk: What is the best procedure (ideally without 3d party Soft) to remove an old, unused Recovery Partition which sits at the beginning of the Disk and then move the rest of the existing partitions left to the beginning of the disk. Winver 20H2 19042.630 [img] 169361
  7. Can I remove these other recovery partitions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I remove these other recovery partitions?: I have 3 Windows 10 (first version, current, and fast ring which I'm about to delete) on my PC and I also have 3 recovery partition. Can I remove the two other partitions but still my Windows won't be affected? Also, what 2 partitions should I remove?[ATTACH]...
  8. What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install): I'm planning on doing a clean install of Windows 10 from ISO on a USB. Looking at the partitions I have now, I'm not sure exactly what all these are for and which I should/could keep/delete. [ATTACH] I know what (C:) obviously is, and Disk 1 is an external drive, so...
  9. Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?": Since I started using my own computer, there's been the Windows Partition, and this other partition that the Boot Manager refers to as "System Restore." Loading it would take me to a screen telling me that I should press the green button to revert my system back its original...
  10. Remove Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Recovery Partition: I just upgraded to version 1511. It recreated the 450 mb recovery partition I don't want and I don't need it!! Is there a way to remove it without doing a clean install of Windows am use diskpart? James 43883