Windows 10: Which SGX setting to choose in BIOS

Discus and support Which SGX setting to choose in BIOS in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I had noticed that even though I had Software Guard Extensions(SGX) set to "Software Controlled" in BIOS, that it wasn't showing up in Device Manager.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Cliff S, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Which SGX setting to choose in BIOS

I had noticed that even though I had Software Guard Extensions(SGX) set to "Software Controlled" in BIOS, that it wasn't showing up in Device Manager.
    Then it came to me, that on my last system build(an MSI mainboard with a 6700K) that MSI had included the driver in the downloads support for the board, and also through their MSI driver & software updater.
    ASUS though doesn't offer it.
    I suppose this is because my ASUS board is a Gaming board and my MSI was a Professional(workstation) board, and ASUS thinks that gamers have no use for this security option*Sad

Which SGX setting to choose in BIOS [​IMG]
    Tip I has able to download the driver though through the Microsoft Update Catalog: Microsoft Update Catalog
    Select:
    Intel Corporation - SoftwareComponent - 12/22/2017 12:00:00 AM - 1.9.101.41172
    Last Modified: 12/22/2017
    Size: 22.5 MB

Use something like 7 Zip and extract all files from the .cab folder, then double click the installer.

Information

Note SGX is only available for Intel CPUs from 7th gen Core Kaby Lake and above.
    What is SGX:
    Intel® Software Guard Extensions SDK | Intel® Software

Why is the software controlled setting better than enabled in BIOS for consumers as opposed to business:
    Properly Detecting Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX) in Your Applications | Intel® Software

What does SGX do:
    Intel SGX Homepage | Intel® Software

I hope this might help other security conscious users here.
    But remember, this is only for 7th gen Intel processors and above!

:)

Cliff S, Dec 30, 2017

2. so...why do some installed apps stop the PR1.2 update from running?

hey hey!!

Ok its not Nokia's fault.. or at least I don't think it is.. not totally convinced but here goes.

DPKG the packaging system works on dependencies.. a package can only be installed if its dependency packages are install already..

apt is a tool to do this resolution for you.. when you want blah installed it makes sure all of blahs dependencies are installed first.. and infact it makes sure that the dependencies of blah's dependencies are install and so on.. Generally it is pretty
    good..

Now in its simplest form, dependencies just specify a package name

blah requires moo

Easy.. any version of moo must be installed before blah can be installed..

But dpkg lets you get more creative and specify versions too.. so for example

blah requires moo (>> 1.5)

means that blah requires at least version 1.5 of moo before it can be installed..

BUT!!!!!! it can also specify an exact package version

blah requires moo (=1.5)

So.. what happens if I later try to install moo version 1.6? I can't.. apt won't let me because it would break blah.. (if you're following up to this point.. grand!)

Lets look at a particular problem.. gltron

gltron requires libgles1

libgles1 requires libgles1-sgx-img

libgles1-sgx-img requires opengles-sgx-img-common (=0.20091104.6.1+0m5)

Now, gltron requires lots of packages.. but this particular branch if you like causes the problem.. if we follow the dependencies down we see that libgles1-sgx-img requires a very specific version of the package opengles-sgx-img-common

PR1.1.1 : 0.20091104.6.1+0m5

PR1.2: 0.20091104.34+0m5

So PR1.2 wants to upgrade opengles-sgx-img-common to a newer version.. which would break the dependency for libgles1-sgx-img

So, removing GLtron and infact any package that if you follow its dependencies down you hit libgles1-sgx-img fixes most problems

I wrote a script that identifies a tree of packages.. it tells you whats at the top (ie gltron) and what dependency at the bottom is a) fixed in version number and b) going to be upgraded when PR1.2 is installed

So, the output in this example would be

gltron broken by libgles1-sgx-img which needs opengles-sgx-img-common

Whoever is responsible for that package made the mistake.. Either of not providing a new version of libgles1-sgx-img that is compatible with PR1.2's openglex-sgx-img-common package OR by setting a precise version and not something like

(=0.20091104)

which I think would've been safe

It is a bit pants that the error messages are few and unhelpful though..but it is an easy thing to fix if you know EXACTLY what you're looking for

Lots of people said "I only had 50meg free so I kept removing packages until it worked"

It wasn't clearing space that fixed it (as I only had 42 meg free when I installed I think) it was that they'd removed the package that freed the dependency collision

I hope that makes it clear (as mud?!)

cpitchford, Dec 30, 2017
  3. 小胖假 Win User
    SGX  AESM Service

Hi ,

I wish to create a SGX platform in windows and now I install all app of the SGX.

But when I install done, it says "Intel(R) SGX is currently disabled.

Contact your computer manufacturer to see if SGX is supported on your platform."

while CLICK the "SgxPlatformCapabilityTool" .

I check the computer event to make sure what happen is .

It says "AESMService: SGX is Disabled at AESM Service startup "

I find all the way from Google but I can't find out

Has anyone done this with or without issues?

Thanks a lot .

小胖假, Dec 30, 2017
Thema:

Which SGX setting to choose in BIOS

1. Which SGX setting to choose in BIOS - Similar Threads - SGX setting choose

2. Which window and office version can use SGX 1 or SGX2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which window and office version can use SGX 1 or SGX2?: I bought NUC kitI find window store have Intel SGX activation appWhat is the difference between enable SGX in BIOS manually and using intel SGX activation app ?Which window version and office version word and excel can use SGX ? Can it buy from Amazon ? Is it OEM or USB...
  3. Which window and office version can use SGX 1 or SGX2?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Which window and office version can use SGX 1 or SGX2?: I bought NUC kitI find window store have Intel SGX activation appWhat is the difference between enable SGX in BIOS manually and using intel SGX activation app ?Which window version and office version word and excel can use SGX ? Can it buy from Amazon ? Is it OEM or USB...
  4. SGX?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SGX?: I have software that plays UHD Blu-ray discs. It's called Cyberlink PowerDVD 21 Ultra.I ordered a UHD optical drive. It's on its way.My PC is old but is still operating Windows 10 just fine. My processor is an i7 3rd Gen.My video card is a GTX 960Is this true about me playing...
  5. SGX?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SGX?: I have software that plays UHD Blu-ray discs. It's called Cyberlink PowerDVD 21 Ultra.I ordered a UHD optical drive. It's on its way.My PC is old but is still operating Windows 10 just fine. My processor is an i7 3rd Gen.My video card is a GTX 960Is this true about me playing...
  6. SGX?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. How to choose which drive to boot from, OUTSIDE of bios.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to choose which drive to boot from, OUTSIDE of bios.: Hello. I recently built a new system with dual operating systems on different internal ssd's. My question is, is there a way to choose what drive to boot before windows starts up? I have a editing side and gaming side and I would like the option to choose which drive to boot...
  8. Choosing Which Updates To Keep

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Choosing Which Updates To Keep: With Windows 10 I cannot find anyway to decide which updates I want installed and which I dont. I dont mean the new builds, I am on the fast ring and want them but updates like Windows Defender, I dont want those as I have BitDefender. Some Office updates go into a loop but...
  9. Need help in setting boot priority in bios... which file to choose??

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need help in setting boot priority in bios... which file to choose??: Am trying to change my boot priority options in my bios After selecting the usb drive a second option window in the bios appears asking me to select a file to boot. (see below screenshot) Which of the below file options do I select? [img] 107082
  10. sgx what is it?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    sgx what is it?: i am running power DVD to play my blue ray discs on my pc. these run ok. i recently purchased a Uhd 4k film and power dvd could not run it it tried to install an update but reported back "unable to install update as SGX is not suported or TURNED of in the Bios" i canot find...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is sgx opt-in

2. What is AESM