Windows 10: Which Standby mode is it after the display is turned off when CsEnabled is set to 0?

Discus and support Which Standby mode is it after the display is turned off when CsEnabled is set to 0? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I configured Registry to disable CsEnabled in Windows 10. Before this, both turning off the display and making the laptop sleep would let it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by EllisSean, Jul 23, 2020.

1. EllisSean Win User

Which Standby mode is it after the display is turned off when CsEnabled is set to 0?

Hi,

I configured Registry to disable CsEnabled in Windows 10. Before this, both turning off the display and making the laptop sleep would let it enter Connected Standby. After I changed the value of CsEnabled to 0, making the laptop sleep through the Windows menu would allow it to go into S3 standby. But this time, turning off the display made the computer go into a weird "standby mode": the laptop kept all network connections running as normal including VPN, music could be played while the screen is off, some application were stopped but some weren't I couldn't figure out how the system chose which to stop and which not to stop, CPU frequency dropped from 100% to around 30%, and the fans stopped operating.

By the way, I have set "sleep after" to never in Power Options.

I thought it would be Modern Standby https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby. But then I realized Modern Standby is S0, which I disabled in the Registry at the beginning. Even more weirdly, I checked both Event Viewer and a System Power Report generated by powercfg.exe /SLEEPSTUDY, there were nothing happening while my screen was off although the CPU entered an "idle mode" and the fans stopped spinning.

Can anyone explain what "mode" the computer enters after the display is turned off, and what is causing the CPU to run at a lower frequency and the cooling system to completely stop?

Cheers

:)

EllisSean, Jul 23, 2020
  2. EllisSean Win User

Which Standby mode is it after the display is turned off when CsEnabled is set to 0?

Hi,

I configured Registry to disable CsEnabled in Windows 10. Before this, both turning off the display and making the laptop sleep would let it enter Connected Standby. After I changed the value of CsEnabled to 0, making the laptop sleep through the Windows
    menu would allow it to go into S3 standby. But this time, turning off the display made the computer go into a weird "standby mode": the laptop kept all network connections running as normal (including VPN), music could be played while the screen is off, some
    application were stopped but some weren't (I couldn't figure out how the system chose which to stop and which not to stop), CPU frequency dropped from 100% to around 30%, and the fans stopped operating.

By the way, I have set "sleep after" to never in Power Options.

I thought it would be Modern Standby Modern Standby.
    But then I realized Modern Standby is S0, which I disabled in the Registry at the beginning. Even more weirdly, I checked both Event Viewer and a System Power Report generated by powercfg.exe /SLEEPSTUDY, there were nothing happening while my screen was off
    although the CPU entered an "idle mode" and the fans stopped spinning.

Can anyone explain what "mode" the computer enters after the display is turned off, and what is causing the CPU to run at a lower frequency and the cooling system to completely stop?

Cheers

EllisSean, Aug 3, 2020
  3. hqtanned Win User
    "Turn off display" function no longer work, laptop goes into sleep mode instead.

Hi Raniel, I followed your suggestion and while my laptop does not go to sleep anymore, the display wouldn't turn off even after the stipulated time. You previously suggested that I set "Do Nothing" for
    "When I close the lid", and i figured that even though that might not be the solution to my problem, it could work well as an alternative.

I came across a site which suggested that I should change something in the Registry, but is unsure of the outcome. I found out that my laptop comes with Modern Standby via the command prompt, but does not have the "Turn Off Display" option
    in the power settings. The site suggested that I open the registry and head to the following path:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power

On the right panel, there is an entry labelled "CsEnabled". The value should be changed from 1 to 0.

I have yet to try it out as I am having doubts to whether this would work. What do you suggest? Thanks.

hqtanned, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Which Standby mode is it after the display is turned off when CsEnabled is set to 0?

Laptop Power Plan Set to NEVER Turn-off Display or Go Standby When on Extern Power But It Still Turns-off Display or Goes Into Standby

Laptop Power Plan Set to NEVER Turn-off Display or Go Standby When on Extern Power But It Still Turns-off Display or Goes Into Standby. Why do SO many Windows 10 Updates precipitate NEW problems like this one - and recently LOSS User Accounts, Wireless
    Adaptor problems, shutdown hardware state problems and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and
    on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

David_Ingalls_ESC, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Which Standby mode is it after the display is turned off when CsEnabled is set to 0? - Similar Threads - Standby mode display

2. When screen turns off, computer goes into standby even though settings are set different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When screen turns off, computer goes into standby even though settings are set different: Hello, I've just got a new HP Envy 13 laptop. I'm having an issue with the device going into standby when the screen turns off even though the settings are set to the following;Screen set to turn off after 1 minute when on battery and after 5 minutes when plugged in.Sleep set...
  3. When screen turns off, computer goes into standby even though settings are set different

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When screen turns off, computer goes into standby even though settings are set different: Hello, I've just got a new HP Envy 13 laptop. I'm having an issue with the device going into standby when the screen turns off even though the settings are set to the following;Screen set to turn off after 1 minute when on battery and after 5 minutes when plugged in.Sleep set...
  4. turn off 3d display mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    turn off 3d display mode: hi so i was connecting my tv to my laptop and turned on 3d display mode and the screen started flickering and then i couldnt change any settings submitted by /u/PranshuTG [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jwes0t/turn_off_3d_display_mode/
  5. Display turning on immediately after turn off timer in power settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display turning on immediately after turn off timer in power settings.: Whenever the timer goes off, the monitors turn black, but immediately power back on as if something is constantly waking them up. My desktop has had a similar issue before of the monitor never turning off, but that turned out to be a controller being plugged in issue for some...
  6. Laptop goes to standby when screen turns off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop goes to standby when screen turns off: Dear community, I am experiencing an issue where the laptop goes to standby every time the screen turns off. If "Never" is set for "Turn off the display", then the laptop does not go to standby but also the screen stays on. But if the "Put the computer to sleep" is set to...
  7. Laptop Power Plan Set to NEVER Turn-off Display or Go Standby When on Extern Power But It...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Power Plan Set to NEVER Turn-off Display or Go Standby When on Extern Power But It...: Laptop Power Plan Set to NEVER Turn-off Display or Go Standby When on Extern Power But It Still Turns-off Display or Goes Into Standby. Why do SO many Windows 10 Updates precipitate NEW problems like this one - and recently LOSS User Accounts, Wireless Adaptor problems,...
  8. TURN OFF THE ADAPTIVE DISPLAY SETTINGS.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TURN OFF THE ADAPTIVE DISPLAY SETTINGS.: Many of us are experiencing the screen dimming due to the adaptive display setting in windows 10. Rather than following complicate procedures aimed at disabling this option, I found that simply going into DEVICE MANAGER-->SENSORS-->AMBIENT LIGHT...
  9. Windows 10 randomly turning screen off or going into Standby Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 randomly turning screen off or going into Standby Mode: Hi there, The same is happening to me, as well. Video, sound, everything works normally, sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 2 hours and then screen goes blank and the only way how to get PC to life again is hard power shutdown. It never happened before , until the last...
  10. Cant view Advanced Power Settings after turning off Connected Standby

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant view Advanced Power Settings after turning off Connected Standby: I have a Surface Pro 4 (windows 10) and want to modify my Power Plan in order to stop the fan coming on every 5 mins when using Chrome. I have turned off Connected Standby by "Double clicking on CsEnabled and changing Value data from 1 to 0." However, after rebooting I can...