Windows 10: Which startup programs should I remove?

Discus and support Which startup programs should I remove? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; These are my startup programs, which are not necessary that I should remove? Akami Netsession Client Avast Antivirus AMD Catalyst Control Center... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CrimsonOwl, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Which startup programs should I remove?

These are my startup programs, which are not necessary that I should remove?
    Akami Netsession Client
    Avast Antivirus
    AMD Catalyst Control Center
    Java Update Scheduler
    Logitech Gaming Framework (I use logitech g430 headphones, I dont know if this program is necessary for them to work)
    Microsoft One Drive
    Realtek HD Audio Manager (Again, I use headphones so I don't know if this program is useful)
    So, which of these startup programs should I keep or remove?

:)

CrimsonOwl, Nov 25, 2015
  2. Catbill Win User

How do I know which startup programs, scheduled tasks, and services could be disabled?

A utilities program shows that 343 programs start on startup or when a user logs in. The breakdown is:

5 startup programs

118 scheduled tasks

7 plug-ins

60 application services

153 Windows services

The information I have found online tells me how to enable and disable programs (which is pretty obvious) but nothing about how to determine which programs can be safely disabled. Even when I do a web search for a specific program, it is still not clear
    if and when it is necessary to keep it running or if a program will call it up automatically. Aren't there lists somewhere of recommendations?

I would like some insights about

• Is 343 programs a normal amount of background activity?
    • How can I find out which of them really need to be enabled all of the time?
    I am not asking about an error nor am I saying that performance is poor. I would simply like some basic information about my system. If someone would like to see screenshots, I would be happy to send them.

Catbill, Nov 25, 2015
  3. John582n Win User
    How do I know which startup programs, scheduled tasks, and services could be disabled?

If you are not having performance or malware problems it is best to leave most of these alone.

You could look at the Startup tab of Task Manager and check the 5 Startup programs. There may be one or two that you could disable.

And you could check out the 7 browser plug-ins in your browser and disable any you don't need.

Fiddling with the other stuff may cause issues and/or system damage.

John582n, Nov 25, 2015
  4. batlhilz Win User

Which startup programs should I remove?

well no need to remove anything from use since it wont give you any notable improvement for the computer *Smile G430 works without the gaming framework too yes, but i like the configurability of that software.

batlhilz, Nov 25, 2015
  5. essenbe Win User
    It i easier on the computer to run only what is needed at startup. Why waste resources by running programs you aren't using? Because they are not in startup does not mean you can't use them, it just means they will strart when you need them. Also, why inject a lot of unnecessary drivers into the system at one time? You can cause driver conflicts that way. The only thing you need run at startup is your Anti Virus.

essenbe, Nov 25, 2015
  6. batlhilz Win User
    well, if guy has to ask certain thing, one might consider that too in the answer. if you remove all but avast, you dont have his daily basis needs up and running when he needs it. the resourcemanagement doesnt matter - those aint eating up too much of memory anyway so bear that in mind

batlhilz, Nov 25, 2015
  7. essenbe Win User
    What daily needs? CCC? the graphics drivers are going to load by default, Realtek audio manager? The audio drivers load already, why do you need the manager running too. Everything you need is running. If you need another program, it will start up like every other program on your computer. Read up on Akami client. as far as I'm concerned, it's spyware.

Your motherboard has audio drivers. Your headphones have audio drivers, CCC has audio drivers. How many different audio drivers do you think your computer needs, or how many do you have to load at one time to conflict with each other? Your audio will work just fine with none of those loading at startup.

You can do it anyway you want to. I am just telling you 'best practices'.

essenbe, Nov 25, 2015
  8. batlhilz Win User

ofc theres pros of using those drivers, come on. itd be naive say "theyre just all the same" - without knowing too much of the guys daily behavior and use of computer - id never suggest to disable stuff, especially when it has none to small amount of performance improvement. what you think of "best practices" isnt really best practices to everyone

akami is a download client for browsers (IE mainly i guess) so its safe to use - it allows you to continue download where you left off. no idea tho if its needed anymore in win10 since i dont use IE

batlhilz, Nov 25, 2015
  9. essenbe Win User
    You obviously don't understand what startup is. It does not disable them, it just doesn't load them at startup. They are still available when you want to use them. As far as the audio drivers, the point is, they are not all the same. They are all different. Why do you need the AMD audio drivers when you have motherboard drivers that do the same thing? So why throw 2 or 3 drivers at Windows that are different but do the same thing? Only 1 is needed. Akami, constantly sends and receives data about your computer, it's programs and usage back to Akami . I'm not sure what your definition of spyware is, but that is my definition.

essenbe, Nov 25, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    For @batlhilz, here are some sources for this resource using peer to peer software that runs on the USERS PC in the back ground:

What is Akamai NetSession Client - Microsoft Community

Page Forbidden | Error 403 | Akamai
    What is Akamai NetSession Client - Microsoft Community

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Which startup programs should I remove? - Similar Threads - startup programs should

2. Which third party/ms programs should I install?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Which third party/ms programs should I install?: Hello, im using w10 x64, rx6500 xt 4 gb new series with something called version 4.0 gpu, 16 gb of 3200mhz ram, intel i5 11400f cpu. I wonder which other apps/programs I "have to" have to use games, emulators without crash. Let me help you about third party programs im asking...
  3. Which third party/ms programs should I need?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which third party/ms programs should I need?: Hello, im using w10 x64, rx6500 xt 4 gb new series with something called version 4.0 gpu, 16 gb of 3200mhz ram, intel i5 11400f cpu. I wonder which other apps/programs I "have to" have to use games, emulators without crash. Let me help you about third party programs im asking...
  4. Which third party/ms programs should I need?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which third party/ms programs should I need?: Hello, im using w10 x64, rx6500 xt 4 gb new series with something called version 4.0 gpu, 16 gb of 3200mhz ram, intel i5 11400f cpu. I wonder which other apps/programs I "have to" have to use games, emulators without crash. Let me help you about third party programs im asking...
  5. Which third party/ms programs should I need?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. How to see which program is controlling startup apps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to see which program is controlling startup apps?: I remember a month or two ago I ran a program (It may have been an antivirus, or a disk cleaner, I have no clue) that had an option to speed up booting by disabling some startup apps that Windows itself could not. I tinkered with a few settings and ended up disabling an app...
  7. Startup programs removing themselves?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Startup programs removing themselves?: My start up programs keep removing themselves from the startup list and I have no idea why. Its happened probably a dozen times now and they seem to remove themselves for no reason, Windows wasn't just updated. Does Windows 10 do any sort of automated purging? What might the...
  8. Which key should I use?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Which key should I use?: Hi! I have Samsung laptop that came with preinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). I have COA sticker on bottom of my device too. I use ProduKey to check my Windows 7 key but it doesn't match to my key on COA sticker. Furthermore I checked this key from ProduKey in...
  9. Which one of these apps are useful and i should not remove?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which one of these apps are useful and i should not remove?: Hello guys. I am preparing a windows 10 ISO by using MSMG ToolKit v7.1​ I havent used windows 10 yet so i dont know some of these apps and what they do Here what i am planning and my questions. Do you think i should chance any of the below decisions? [A] Microsoft...
  10. Should this be in Startup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should this be in Startup?: Hello everyone. I am really liking Windows 10 and I still need some more tweaking to do but overall pretty good. But I ran AutoRun and under "Logon" it found this missing file. I looked in the inf folder and it is definitely not there. Looking at the name this is Windows...