Windows 10: Which version of Windows is best for my old Dell Latitude D620 laptop?

Discus and support Which version of Windows is best for my old Dell Latitude D620 laptop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have bought an old and used Dell Latitude D620, and on it, I currently have Windows XP preinstalled on it. But, since XP is very much outdated, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abasitm1993, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Which version of Windows is best for my old Dell Latitude D620 laptop?

I have bought an old and used Dell Latitude D620, and on it, I currently have Windows XP preinstalled on it. But, since XP is very much outdated, I would like to upgrade the Windows version on it.
    So, the options available are the latest Windows 10 and the most popular Windows 7. So which of these versions is best for my old system?
    I have 2 GB of RAM and 80 GB HDD on it and the system is 32-bit only.

:)

abasitm1993, Feb 23, 2017

2. Problem with screen resolution.

It is supported. I got the update straight from Windows, themselves, so clearly, it works on my Dell Latitude D620.

Roly Ortega, Feb 23, 2017
  3. AaronSR Win User
    Can't Find Drivers!! Windows 10

I have 2 laptops running the new Windows 10,

Dell Latitude D620 (found graphics driver)

Dell Latitude E6410

Need some help finding the others, please let me know any update!

AaronSR, Feb 23, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Which version of Windows is best for my old Dell Latitude D620 laptop?

Well, it works with Windows 10, apparently...

...and, scroll down near the bottom of the page...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...not_one_issue/

Aparently it'll even run 64-bit.
    Running Windows 10 64bits on 1 GB ram and with dell latitude d620 - YouTube

5. tinmar49 Win User
    You could probably increase the ram quantity to 4gb, but not until the laptop has proved itself with W10 hp 32 bit.

tinmar49, Feb 23, 2017
  6. But with such limited hardware? Windows 10 would run with glitches in it.

abasitm1993, Feb 23, 2017
  7. abasitm1993, Feb 23, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Why not get Windows 7 for it? Upgrade it quickly to Windows 10 while Microsoft is still allowing for free. Then decide which you want to keep. You can always go back to Windows 7. Also, a retail edition of Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10 will allow you to move either the Windows 7 or Windows 10 to a new computer in the future.

IMHO, Windows 10 runs better on older/limited resources than Windows 7 on the same computer.

NavyLCDR, Feb 23, 2017
  9. Is there any particular proven evidence of it, that Windows 10 uses old resources on low-end PCs?

abasitm1993, Feb 24, 2017
  10. Steve C Win User
    You need to consider whether the BIOS supports Windows 10. Consult Dell Tech Support if they will help you else the Dell Laptop Forum to see if there are any BIOS issues. Also see your Dell laptop support page to see what it says about Windows support. See here Support for Latitude D620 | Dell UK Use the latest 2013 BIOS at least. Make a full system backup using Macrium Reflect Free or a similar product so you can always restore your system if you upgrade and have problems.

Steve C, Feb 24, 2017
  11. Will upgrading the BIOS to at least 2013 version, improve performance on Windows 10 on the Latitude D620?

12. Steve C Win User
    It might improve compatibility. I think you should consult the Dell Laptop Forum to ask if other have upgraded and what problems they had. See Forums - - Laptop - Dell Community

Steve C, Feb 24, 2017
  13. Fafhrd Win User

You would be surprised how well Windows 10 runs on old and limited, low specced hardware (see mine!), as long as all compatibility criteria are met.

The biggest problem is GPU drivers, and, of course, what requirements your other software has.

If you have just normal internet and office productivity software use, and you don't have dozens of open windows or tabs in your browser, it is hard to tell that it is running on a PC made for XP.

Design considerations in Windows 10 have reduced resource overheads considerably, compared to a "beautifully modded" full aero Windows 7 machine, for instance.

Added to this, some older processors, like my P4 prescott, run at full power all the time, and don't have any throttling features that more modern processors have, so you don't experience slow-downs under high load - just that the room becomes considerably warmer!

If there are cooling issues, then maintenance is the best action, and thorough and regular cleaning of airways and maintenance of fans, and thermal paste etc., as well as external ventilation and cooling.

Fafhrd, Feb 24, 2017
  14. I think upgrading the BIOS isn't a reliable solution. But as far as for compatibility, device drivers are somewhat compatible with the new Windows 10. If you look beside the BIOS, what version will you recommend to use on D620 for better performance?

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Only my personal experience.

NavyLCDR, Feb 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Which version of Windows is best for my old Dell Latitude D620 laptop? - Similar Threads - version best old

2. Which OS is best for my laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which OS is best for my laptop?: Hi there,I am using compaq presario cq 43-405AU and the specs are-Processor - AMD E-300 APU with Radeontm HD Graphics 1.30GhzRAM - 2gb ramGraphic card - Integrated GraphicsCan you please suggest me the perfect Windows OS for my laptop?Thanks you in advance...................
  3. Which OS is best for my laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which OS is best for my laptop?: Hi there,I am using compaq presario cq 43-405AU and the specs are-Processor - AMD E-300 APU with Radeontm HD Graphics 1.30GhzRAM - 2gb ramGraphic card - Integrated GraphicsCan you please suggest me the perfect Windows OS for my laptop?Thanks you in advance...................
  4. Which microsoft windows version is best?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which microsoft windows version is best?: Hello Everyone, I have started a new company Girish Metal India. I am looking out for Windows Version which is best? Can someone help me with it. Waiting for a positive reply. Thanks & Regards Girish Metal India...
  5. Which microsoft windows version is best?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Which microsoft windows version is best?: Hey Guys, I have started a new company Nitech Stainless Inc. So, for my office work I want to know which windows version is best for office work? waiting for your positive reply....
  6. Which version of Windows 10 is the best for stability and performance on an old pc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which version of Windows 10 is the best for stability and performance on an old pc?: I'll upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 & an SSD on an office PC with Core i3 530 CPU. I have a flash drive with 1703 that I know works great and it's the most stable version. However I'm thinking of installing the latest version of Windows 10 home and turning off updates...
  7. Best Windows 10 build version for an old laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best Windows 10 build version for an old laptop?: I have an old hp laptop (HP pavillion dv6;8 years old.) I only occasionally used this laptop and only for web surfing and watching movies. The time when I used this laptop much was when the first few versions of Windows 10 were released (When there was no activity history and...
  8. laptops- which is best

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptops- which is best: which is best for an old woman * Moved from virus & malware * Original title: laptops https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptops-which-is-best/cd2a1500-7958-4f1f-a0e2-b62b67f3987f
  9. windows 10 Dell laptop Latitude

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 Dell laptop Latitude: just got this today. Finally got it connected to the Internet and my home network except for printer and 2nd network. Set up name for laptop. Set password (BIG MISTAKE) It's one I use all the time or a variation of it. shut down the laptop. Restarted it and now...
  10. Which version of Windows 10 is best for...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which version of Windows 10 is best for...: Okay, I'm building a new computer. The motherboard requires Windows 10 64-bit so I can't install a Windows 7. I've looked in many places but cannot find any information more recent than about three updates ago so I've come here to ask... First, I have a very dim view of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Latitude d620 windows 10 64 bit