Windows 10: Which Windows 10 system fonts can be deleted?

Discus and support Which Windows 10 system fonts can be deleted? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Similarly to a user from 2016, I'd like to keep only the most essential fonts from Windows 10. I have narrowed down through trial and error to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Virginia Melo, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Which Windows 10 system fonts can be deleted?

Similarly to a user from 2016, I'd like to keep only the most essential fonts from Windows 10.

I have narrowed down through trial and error to the following:

• Arial
    • Courier New
    • Courier Prime
    • Courier Regular
    • Fixedsys Regular
    • HoloLens MDL2 Assets Regular
    • Segoe MDL2 Assets Regular
    • Segoe Print
    • Segoe Script
    • Segoe UI
    • Segoe UI Emoji Regular
    • Segoe UI Historic Regular
    • Segoe UI Symbol Regular
    • Symbol Regular
    • System Negrito
    • Terminal
    • Times New Roman
    • Verdana
    • Webdings Regular
    • Wingdings Regular

Which ones from this list can be deleted?

:)

Virginia Melo, Sep 28, 2020

2. Windows 10: Unable to delete fonts (protected systems)

I found a way to delete the system protected font Comic Sans MS.

• Open up regedit
    • Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
    • Make a note of all of the names of the fonts that you want to remove
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes
    • Create a new string key for each font name that you will delete and set the Data to the name of the font that you want to replace it with.
    For example, I removed "Comic Sans MS (TrueType)". I added a new key "Comic Sans MS" and value "Arial". I did this for all 4 comic sans fonts.

• Then go back to the Fonts section and delete the keys for the fonts that you no longer want. The font files will still be on the hard drive but windows will no longer use them.
    • Reboot
    • Enjoy a life free of ever seeing Comic Sans again!

I can make a simple program to automate this if there is enough interest.

Do be careful if you are deleting fonts that the system actually uses. It worked with comic sans because it really isn't used by the system. Don't go deleting Segoe UI.

Chad Hansen, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 system fonts disappeared

Hi Daniel,

This issue occurs due to corrupted system files. We suggest that you run
    SFC
    and DISM. You may follow the steps provided by
    ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP)
    on his article. It will check for any system
    file corruptions on your system.

Also, you can restore your default font settings by following the steps below:

• Press Windows + R and type control.exe, and hit
      Enter.

• Click on Appearance and Personalization; then, choose
      Fonts.

• In the left pane, click on Font settings.

• Hit Restore default font settings.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Which Windows 10 system fonts can be deleted?

Deleting non-Latin fonts in Windows 10 Home

Thanks for the suggestion, but, sadly, it does not. In addition, I have gone to the Font Management setting and followed Microsoft's directions explicitly. Win 10 will NOT let me delete any installed font (except ones that I have installed myself), and it will NOT let me hide any font at all. The 'Hide' setting says it will hide the font from applications, but EVERY application that offers a choice of fonts, whether from Microsoft (Office, Word, Wordpad, Notepad, etc.) or third parties (such as OpenOffice) shows ALL the fonts listed in the Font Management listing. Every. Single. One.

There was a script for removing the non-Latin fonts from Win 7 that automated the process. That script does not work in Win 10. Is there one that does?

Thanks in advance for any help/

Bookbear1948, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Which Windows 10 system fonts can be deleted?

1. Which Windows 10 system fonts can be deleted? - Similar Threads - system fonts deleted

2. Any font as a system font can be possible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any font as a system font can be possible: Hi Win10 customisation enthusiasts, I have recently read through some of the articles and discussions about the fact that Windows 10's SegoeUISymbol system font also caters for the icons of the Win UI. As an old-time tinkerer, I went ahead to see what elements are missing...
  3. Which Microsoft fonts shouldn't be deleted?!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Which Microsoft fonts shouldn't be deleted?!: Hello, i am deleting some Chinese fonts, i have no use for, and i got myself wondering... What is bare minimum of fonts which have be installed? Can you give me list of fonts, which shouldn't be deleted? So i can deleted useless fonts and don't experience any problems!...
  4. Can you delete Windows fonts?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can you delete Windows fonts?: Windows 10 is bloated with a lot of fonts, which aren't even in english... You can't delete fonts in Windows 10, it prevents you to do it. I heard there is workaround, if you remove some value in registry, than it allows you to delete them. Question is... is it risky? I mean...
  5. which files can be deleted to have space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    which files can be deleted to have space in Windows 10: I am posting some screenshots of files on my system . I used TreeSize tool to find the space used by files. I want to know which of these files I can delete so that I can save space on my laptop. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I want to gain...
  6. Fonts - How can I tell in my Fonts folder which fonts are OpenType?

Fonts - How can I tell in my Fonts folder which fonts are OpenType?: I have recently been looking at using Stylistic Sets in Word. My understanding is that these only are present in OpenType fonts. When I look, the fonts are identified as TrueType but some of them are OpenType. How can I distinguish between them?...
  7. Deleting "protected system" fonts

Deleting "protected system" fonts: When will you take protection off the multitude of foreign fonts most of us have no use for? There's no reason I should have to eat up facilities with a hundred or more fonts I will never use ever! How 'bout some action? Why are they protected in the first place? What is your...
  8. Can't delete fonts in window 10

Can't delete fonts in window 10: how can i delete ???[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-delete-fonts-in-window-10/f6adc0cc-36ef-49f6-ae4b-b0c240c102c9
  9. Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10: How to: Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10 How to Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10 A font is a graphical representation of text that may include a different typeface, point size, weight, color, or design. In Windows 10, you can install a font for only...
  10. Delete all installed fonts (except system fonts only)

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete all installed fonts (except system fonts only): Hello, I wonder if I can delete all fonts, but keep the system fonts (which available when we install a clean windows 10. I notice that there ware about 200-250 fonts, but now is over than 1200 fonts) ? p/s: If you wants these fonts, I can send you *Wink [img] 50392