Windows 10: Which Windows 10 version? Stay or update? (dilemma)

Discus and support Which Windows 10 version? Stay or update? (dilemma) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Got a new gaming rig in late august with these specs: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB DUAL OC Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AlphaCentauri, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Which Windows 10 version? Stay or update? (dilemma)

Got a new gaming rig in late august with these specs:

Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB DUAL OC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16 Vengeance
    Noctua NH-D15
    ASUS PRIME Z370-A
    Corsair HX850 850W
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7 GHz 12MB Coffee Lake
    WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm 64MB

Been using Windows 10 Enterprise 1803 since I got it and my overall experience have been good except the part when I had to de-bloat it (Enterprise versions should be free from cruft, please have mercy Microsoft)

Anyway, prior to purchasing my new gaming rig I used to run Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 on my old Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz 8MB Haswell gaming rig and I absolutely loved that version, clean and stable.

I'm eagerly anticipating the LTSC version coming out this year, it shares the same base as Windows Server 2019 just as LTSB 2016 did with Server 2016.

I know all my stuff works on Enterprise 2018 1803 but it's too bloated and it's annoying having to de-bloat a OS all the time.
    LTSC is probably going to be cruft free like LTSB 2016 but I'm not sure how much of a change Redstone 4 to Redstone 5 will be and testing everything again might be a PITA.

I used LTSB 2016 for almost 2 years because the stability and that it felt like a polished release and it feels like 1803 is just another beta release.

My gaming rig is 100% offline and I'm only going to use cumulative updates.

Should I stay with Enterprise 1803 or wait and update to LTSC 1809?

:)

AlphaCentauri, Sep 19, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 19, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Sep 19, 2018
  4. P4-630 Win User

Which Windows 10 version? Stay or update? (dilemma)

Comodo Software users Windows 10 *Important*

Which Windows 10 version? Stay or update? (dilemma) capture-jpg.jpg

"Hi All,
    We stronly advise Comodo users not to update to latest MS update KB4022716, which is available for Windows 10 users till they have new fixed version of Comodo internet security products installed.

Affected Products:
    - Comodo Internet Security / Comodo Antivirus / Comodo Firewall (Affected versions: v6246 and below)
    - Comodo Cloud Antivirus (Affected versions: v533 and below)
    - Internet Security Essentials (Affected versions: v81 and below)
    - Comodo Secure Shopping (Affected versions: v97 and below)

Possible Problems:
    In case you have updated to MS update KB4022716 prior to updating to latest fixed version of Comodo products, following issues may appear:

- Crashing browsers
    - May not be able to login to Windows

Resolution:
    If you are able to login, you can uninstall Comodo and re-install latest fixed Comodo version. Else you need to go to Windows Safe Mode and uninstall Comodo product or re-store system to state before Comodo product was installed.

In case you want to keep Comodo and pause Windows updates for some time, you may use following steps:
    Step - 1: Click on Start icon on Windows
    Step - 2: Next click on Settings menu item, it will open "Windows Settings" window
    Step - 3: Select "Update & Security" section from there and it will show "Windows Update" section
    Step - 4: Click on "Advanced Options" next, there is "Pause Updates" section allowing you to pause Windows updates for next several days

You can find same steps with images here .

Reason:
    There are unexpected changes in last MS update KB4022716, which are incompatible with Comodo products.
    "

https://forums.comodo.com/news-anno...ate-kb4022716os-build-15063447-t119928.0.html

P4-630, Sep 19, 2018
Thema:

Which Windows 10 version? Stay or update? (dilemma)

1. Which Windows 10 version? Stay or update? (dilemma) - Similar Threads - version Stay update

2. Office 10 question/dilemma

in Windows 10 Customization
    Office 10 question/dilemma: I still run Office10 on my desktop computer and previously on my laptop computer. The hard drive on my laptop failed so in the process of replacing the hard drive Office 10 was lost/removed. My desktop computer has now failed. I have a new desktop ordered but it won't arrive...
  3. Computer updates, but stays at earlier version?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer updates, but stays at earlier version?: I have a HP Laptop that came with Windows 10 Home. It's slightly older than one year. I'm not sure if it came with version 1909, or if it updated to that at some point. anyway, I have tried to update it beyond that for a couple of days now, first to 20H2, and then when that...
  4. Windows 10 update dilemma

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update dilemma: So I have 2 laptops undated and Oh I wish they hadn't.... I can do anything for very long 25-45min with out it suddenly restarting because if has discovered a problem...... Anyone else had this recently?? I had updates totally kill one computer years ago but it was pretty...
  5. Which version of Windows 10 will my machine update to?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Which version of Windows 10 will my machine update to?: Hi, First post so apologies if this has already been asked. I have an old DELL Inspiron 1525 laptop that was updated/upgraded (?) from Windows 7 HP to Windows 10 back when the upgrade was free. This machine is a 'spare' and I can live without it and have done so (see below)...
  6. Windows 10 dilemmas

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 dilemmas: Hello pals. Have to make clear a few dilemmas that I have these days about my Windows 10 installation that I made. To be more clear about the following text, I'm not a pc expert or sth, I just do the best I know. So I had already Windows 10 installed on my laptop before, but...
  7. A dilemma...

in Windows 10 Support
    A dilemma...: [img] 116030
  8. Windows 10 Which Version?.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Which Version?.: I have just finished a complete reformat of my daughters HP Pavilion g6 notebook PC from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Apart from a couple of solved hiccups it all went well although very time consuming. I am unsure however on where to find which version it is updated to. When I...
  9. Windows 10 dilemma!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 dilemma!: So impressed with my upgrade and within 10 minutes I opted for the clean install, all was great a few niggles with my Xonar DGX sound card, but overall very pleased....But decided today to take my PC to someone's house to show them that W10 is worth the upgrade, I didn't take...
  10. Which version of 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Which version of 10: Now I have been running 7 Home on my machines for years now and a couple with Pro now I am preparing for a new build and well the price difference for 10 is quite staggering $135 for Home and $209 for Pro and from a Google and from what I saw Pro is really for business use -...