Windows 10: Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?

Discus and support Which windows license do I need to use on a VM? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I would like to ask which license do I need to use if: I have a VM with 8 cores. On this VM I run 4 Docker containers from 1 Docker... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by x__miller_x, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask which license do I need to use if:

I have a VM with 8 cores. On this VM I run 4 Docker containers from 1 Docker image with Windows 10 VM.

This is necessary to run tests on MS IE/Edge.

Schema is:

Big VM (8 cores) -> Docker container -> qemu VM with windows 10

:)

x__miller_x, Aug 26, 2019

2. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

I have a Windows 10 Pro machine which supports virtualization.

I want to create a hyper-V VM running Windows 10 as the guest host. I have some questions on licensing and any activation issues that might occur
    1. I expect I'll need to buy a 2nd Win 10 license
      • Does it need to be a retail license?
      • Or can I a buy an OEM license? (I’ll always use the 2nd license for a virtual machine on the same PC but never run more then one VM at a time)
    2. If i wanted to create multiple VMs (gen-1 and gen-2) could I use that 2nd license each time? Again, assuming i'll never actually having more then one VM running at a time.
    3. And just curious: Does anyone know if MS simply recognizes 2 licenses both for the same PC? If I did a fresh reinstall in the future, would it make any difference which license i lthen used for the PC and which for the VM?

ComputerGeek, Aug 26, 2019
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Windows 10 VM license

Exactly.

When you go to the evaluation site you can download a complete ISO of Windows 10.

Below is a link step by step with screen shots on how to create a VM in Hyper-V using the ISO that you download from the evaluation site.

Link says Windows 8.1 but works the same in Windows 10.

The trial copies are fully functional so it is perfect for testing purposes.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/20...

SarahKong, Aug 26, 2019
  4. Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?

Windows Server 2016 Standard VM Licensing

Hello

I have a physical server that I already installed windows server 2016 on and activated using an OEM license.

If I create 2 VMs using hyper V, can I activate the 2 VMs using the same license key I used to activate the physical server with?

Second question, if I need two additional VMs, can I buy another Oem license, to activate the other 2 newly created ones and have a total of 4 activated VMs ?

AhmadSalhany, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?

1. Which windows license do I need to use on a VM? - Similar Threads - license need

2. Do I need to re-buy a digital Windows 10 license if I upgraded my PC Hardware?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do I need to re-buy a digital Windows 10 license if I upgraded my PC Hardware?: Hi Folks,Apologies if this has been posted before I definitely think it will have.... I can't figure out how to navigate these forums at all. Little background, many years ago I purchased a physical copy of Windows 7. I was then eligible for the upgrade to Windows 10. PC has...
  3. Do I need to re-buy a digital Windows 10 license if I upgraded my PC Hardware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to re-buy a digital Windows 10 license if I upgraded my PC Hardware?: Hi Folks,Apologies if this has been posted before I definitely think it will have.... I can't figure out how to navigate these forums at all. Little background, many years ago I purchased a physical copy of Windows 7. I was then eligible for the upgrade to Windows 10. PC has...
  4. Do I need to re-buy a digital Windows 10 license if I upgraded my PC Hardware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...: I have Windows 10 installed by Dell on my Dell Computer, it has a Digital License in my Microsoft account. I wish to upgrade to windows 11, which has already downloaded to my computer I believe. Do I need a software code number or is my digital license going to cover that?...
  6. IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...

IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...: I have Windows 10 installed by Dell on my Dell Computer, it has a Digital License in my Microsoft account. I wish to upgrade to windows 11, which has already downloaded to my computer I believe. Do I need a software code number or is my digital license going to cover that?...
  7. IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. I have a windows product key. I need to check if that product key is genuine licensed or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a windows product key. I need to check if that product key is genuine licensed or...: Windows 8 is the windows version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-windows-product-key-i-need-to-check-if/3b0d110f-6e7b-4d57-aef9-58bca1042cf7
  9. I have a windows product key. I need to check if that product key is genuine licensed or...

I have a windows product key. I need to check if that product key is genuine licensed or...: Windows 8 is the windows version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-windows-product-key-i-need-to-check-if/3b0d110f-6e7b-4d57-aef9-58bca1042cf7
  10. I need help reactivating windows on my new device using a digital license linked to my...

I need help reactivating windows on my new device using a digital license linked to my...: I recently build a new pc and everything went smoothly. I was able to reactivate windows fine but my cpu stopped working a few hours later. I have since replaced the cpu but am unable to reactivate windows because my license is linked to a desktop that doesn't exist anymore....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what do I need for windows 2019 std VM license