Windows 10: Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer

Discus and support Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] As the title describes. There seems to be a windows level dimmer applied to my system and I have been trying to figure it on and off for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/johnandbuddy, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer

Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer iEBexWFKEkegZz9k4iV93rpWq9QGExSdDdXct0xM3DM.jpg

As the title describes. There seems to be a windows level dimmer applied to my system and I have been trying to figure it on and off for months!
    It is a custom built AMD Windows 10 rig.
    It is a 2 monitor system, and as soon as I assign one of the displays as the Primary display it gets a little dimmer. Switch them back, the dim switches with them.

So to reiterate whichever monitor is set as primary becomes dimmer.

I have tried everything I can think of.

Messing with Power Plan settings, (Adaptive brightness is not in my settings)
    Night light is off, and I have toggled it on and off.
    Trying some registry edits I found in other posts.
    updated, and reinstalled display drivers
    Restarting, unplugging monitors, switching display cords, etc
    I think I covered a lot of bases. I am a software engineer so I am pretty knowledgeable, but this has stumped me. I feel like this is a windows problem and positive it is not a hardware issue at all, most of the things I did had nothing to do with windows, and some were hardware based, but I wanted to leave no box unchecked

Other odd things I have noticed. Some dropdown menus in some windows settings windows seems to exist above the dim layer that is being applied to the screen. (It has a higher Z value)

Also screen snips actually capture the dim, further proving it is a windows thing, not a hardware issue at all.
    This screen snip shows a white window spanning across the 2 displays (Primary is on the right)

https://preview.redd.it/s45qkhhj31r...bp&s=4a9f2826a7fe2fd39bb511e043a134c6bee7ca8a

Thanks for any insight you can shed on this super annoying problem. All my hair has been pulled out already hahah.

submitted by /u/johnandbuddy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/johnandbuddy, Apr 3, 2021

2. Cant set TV as my Primary Monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

It could be due to incorrect settings or missing/corrupt drivers or missing updates.

What and all steps have you tried so far?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

Try to run Hardware Troubleshooter. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

a. Press Windows Logo Key+X then click on Search option.

b. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting

c. In the new window, click View all on the left pane.

d. In the list of options, click on Hardware and devices.

e. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Go to Settings and change/set it to Primary.

• Press Windows Logo Key+I. Click on System and then on Display.
    • Make sure it is set as Primary.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 3, 2021
  3. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

Issue solved

Removed DVI/HDMI cable from computer and monitor

Step 1: Check if the VGA monitor cable is defective.

1. Turn off computer
    2. Connect the monitor VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the computer
    3. Turn on computer, VGA monitor cable is good.

Step 2: Tun off computer
    1. Connect HDMI Cable to HDMI port and TV
    2. Turn on computer and TV, there is no monitor black screen
    3. Click on the Windows logo, select the Settings icon , and then select

System. Under Display there are two squares, labeled 1 and 2

D Click on Advanced Display Settings:

Display information: Display 1- Monitor Display 2 -TV

E Right-click the Speakers icon in
      the taskbar, select Sound, click on Playback devices,

a s tv screen with my brand shows
      AMD High Definition Audio Device ready.

F. Problem solved

Cause of the problem: Defective VGA port on the Syba VGA HD15+ 3.5 Audio to HDMI converter

Rooben Kajima, Apr 3, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer

How to make external monitor as primary monitor?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to make the external monitor connected to the laptop as a primary display and do not want to mirror the laptop display.

We would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + P, and select
      Extend.
    2. Now, press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on System, and select
      Display
      on the left pane.
    4. Now, under Rearrange your displays, click on Identify to
      Identify the displays.
    5. Click on the display number that is for external monitor.
    6. Scroll down, and click on the checkbox for
      Make this my main display.

Refer the screenshots below:

Identify and select Display:

Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer 011e4133-69c0-4702-8fd5-668b7efa16bb?upload=true.png

Select Primary display:

Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer 2aee1086-e3a9-454e-96b5-5fc599d2efbc?upload=true.png

For additional information, see
    Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 3, 2021
Thema:

Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer

1. Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer - Similar Threads - Whichever monitor set

2. I accidentally set my monitor to not primary display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally set my monitor to not primary display: I accidentally pressed something and saw display settings for monitors, I only had one monitor but it showed two, and then I scrolled down and pressed something that made the monitor a secondary monitor accidentally because I was being dumb and it went pitch black. i heard...
  3. I accidentally set my monitor to not primary display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally set my monitor to not primary display: I accidentally pressed something and saw display settings for monitors, I only had one monitor but it showed two, and then I scrolled down and pressed something that made the monitor a secondary monitor accidentally because I was being dumb and it went pitch black. i heard...
  4. Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Whichever monitor is set to primary becomes dimmer: As the title describes. There seems to be a windows level dimmer applied to my system and I have been trying to figure it on and off for months! It is a custom built Windows 10 rig. It is a 2 monitor system, and as soon as I assign one of the displays as the Primary display...
  5. Icons to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons to primary monitor: I added a monitor to my tv/monitor for a dual screen setup. Windows automatically made the pc monitor the main screen and moved all my icons there. I want the tv as main so I changed it and the icons moved automatically. I decided I didn't like the tv as the main and once...
  6. Monitor is dimmer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor is dimmer on Windows 10: Hi, I have Lenovo Ideapad i5 laptop, with Windows 10 and Ubuntu installed on it, for some reason the screen is dimmer when I login into Windows, than Ubuntu although the brightness is on maximum? I've updated the OS and installed all the drivers from Lenovo website,...
  7. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

in Windows 10 Customization
    No display on monitor when TV set as primary display: Issue: incorrect multiple display setting. Unable reset display setting with a monitor black screen. No sound from TV due to AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In. The monitor goes black because the TV is the primary display When VGA is connected to Syba VGA...
  8. The primary hard disk becomes unrecognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The primary hard disk becomes unrecognized: I was having problem connecting to Wi-Fi (it said "Can't connect to this network") so I restarted my laptop. It shut down without any problems, then after the BIOS screen wasn't Windows but the screen in text mode with "Reboot and select proper boot device...". After...
  9. 2nd Display becomes primary when main monitor is switched off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2nd Display becomes primary when main monitor is switched off: Hi, I have the following problem for a few weeks now: I have a "main" monitor attached to DVI and a beamer attached to HDMI of my GTX-960 graphics card. The monitor is set to primary display. For watching movies, I usually switch off the monitor, leaving only the...
  10. HDMI TV becomes primary monitor when plugged in.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI TV becomes primary monitor when plugged in.: Hello, I have been searching all over for the following problem: I have a normal dekstop-pc setup with a 24" monitor hooked up to the graphics card with a DVI cable. To be able to watch a movie on a bigger screen, I hooked up a standard 40" TV to the graphics card via...