Windows 10: while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message

Discus and support while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having 476 Gb of a virtual machine and I am trying to take its backup in external USB disk. Here is a screenshot telling the free space on my hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by datatraveler2012, Feb 6, 2020.

1. while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message

I am having 476 Gb of a virtual machine and I am trying to take its backup in external USB disk.
    Here is a screenshot telling the free space on my hard disk 379 Gb

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message 5a225d83-05d2-4f14-a2ab-2b04aa59a788?upload=true.jpg

and here is a screenshot of error which I get when I try to copy paste the virtual machine vmdk files from laptop to USB hard

disk.

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message 168347f0-dbb8-4854-bd46-34e297ea1af1?upload=true.jpg

here is size of virtual machine on USB hard disk 376 Gb
    while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message 0fec46c4-e1f3-425c-b15e-3173483f50af?upload=true.jpg

here is the screenshot of hard disk on laptop whose backup is to be taken 452 Gb
    while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message 3229f74e-f6b4-4145-9bb7-d6f057bdf1c1?upload=true.jpg

the difference of virtual machine on USB and laptop is approximately 76 Gb
    and my external USB hard disk has 379Gb free space.But still when I try to copy paste the virtual machines vmdk files from laptop to external USB hard disk I get error as in above screenshot.
    Which says there is not enough space on external hard disk ,you need 188 Gb to copy the files, where as there is 379Gb space available still I am not able to copy paste the files to external USB hard disk.
    How to resolve this problem?

What I did is those 25 virtual disks one by one I copy pasted them and then this time when I did manually one disk after the other firstly this error pop up did not came and then all the files got replaced by the files which I wanted to take backup. I do not know but this worked. Also before doing this I have deleted some files which Treesize tool the tool should be run as admin detected as files in hidden recycle bin folder on USB hard disk. How ever even after deleted the hidden recycle bin files I had this error but I had to manually move files one by one. However I want copy and paste to replace the files in destination so please let me know how to solve this.

I use Windows 10 Home edition.

Build 1909.

:)

datatraveler2012, Feb 6, 2020
  2. sandila Win User

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space

I am having 476 Gb of a virtual machine and I am trying to take its backup in external USB disk.
    Here is a screenshot telling the free space on my hard disk 379 Gb

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message [​IMG]

and here is a screenshot of error which I get when I try to copy paste the virtual machine vmdk files from laptop to USB hard disk

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message [​IMG]

here is size of virtual machine on USB hard disk 376 Gb

here is the screenshot of hard disk on laptop whose backup is to be taken 452 Gb

the difference of virtual machine on USB and laptop is approximately 76 Gb
    and my external USB hard disk has 379Gb free space.But still when I try to copy paste the virtual machines vmdk files from laptop to external USB hard disk I get error as in above screenshot.
    Which says there is not enough space on external hard disk ,you need 188 Gb to copy the files, where as there is 379Gb space available still I am not able to copy paste the files to external USB hard disk.
    How to resolve this problem?

I use Windows 10 Home edition.

sandila, Feb 6, 2020
  3. while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space

I believe that you are misunderstanding the message. The message does NOT say that you need 188GB of space. It says that you need an ADDITIONAL 188GB of space beyond what you already have.

Some things that you can do:

If your virtual disks have been in use for a long time, and if you do not have them configured to preallocate all space up front, you may be able to go into VMware and perform a defragment followed by a compact operation on the virtual hard disks. When I do this on my VMs it often shrinks the disk sizes considerably. See the VMware docs for details on accomplishing these steps.

hsehestedt, Feb 6, 2020
  4. while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message

low disk space error

I got lost after "Policies".I couldn't find Explorer.There's no low disk space checks.When I back click,there's no Advanced .I have an HP19 desktop with Windows 10 installed.Drive
    D is the recovery drive.

low disk space error

I have a HP19 desktop.I keep getting an error that says low disk space on the recovery d drive.How do you fix this?How do you free up space or prevent the message from showing up ?This is what I did and I got lost:

I got lost after "Policies".I couldn't find Explorer.There's no low disk space checks.When I back click,there's no Advanced .I have an HP19 desktop with Windows 10 installed.Drive
    D is the recovery drive.

NATALIA1040, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message

1. while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space error message - Similar Threads - while copying files

2. while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space

in Windows 10 Support
    while copying files from windows hard disk to usb hard disk low space: I am having 476 Gb of a virtual machine and I am trying to take its backup in external USB disk. Here is a screenshot telling the free space on my hard disk 379 Gb [img] and here is a screenshot of error which I get when I try to copy paste the virtual machine vmdk files...
  3. error while copying file from external hard disk to laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    error while copying file from external hard disk to laptop: I tried to copy files from my external hard disk to my laptop but an error message came saying "cant read from souce file or disk". Any solutons?...
  4. Hard Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Disk Space: Hello, my hard drive SSD is filling up, and I would like to know what is the best way to get free space with out problems. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-space/2ec660fc-3503-40ea-8d78-9a08b9f669a7"
  5. hard reset low disk space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hard reset low disk space: i am trying to hard reset my lenovo miix 320 on windows 10 but each time it comes up an error messsaage saying there isnt enough disk space, ive done recommended things uninstalled apps disk degradmenter threre is nearly 32gb free storage so unsure why this is happening. is...
  6. Hard disk space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk space: I am running Windows 10 . The machine came with 2 x 500Gb hard disks,. One disk failed, so I replaced it with a 1Tb drive. I have just replaced the other drive with a 1Tb drive and expected the PC to show that storage had increased. However, it hasn't. What do I need to do to...
  7. Hard disk space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard disk space: I am running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS420 desktop. The machine came with 2 x 500Gb hard disks, which were set up in Raid Mirror. One disk failed, so I replaced it with a 1Tb drive. I have just replaced the other drive with a 1Tb drive and expected the PC to show that storage...
  8. hard disk space

hard disk space: my 1tb disc is almost full and I need to know why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-space/20210a12-f63b-44de-bda0-784848ebd8be
  9. Low Disk Space Message

Low Disk Space Message: I am getting a message that I have Low Disk Space on Drive M - but I don't seem to have a Disk M. When I open the "drive" in Explorer, it says there are no files in it. But the properties say it has 39.3 of 449 mb free. The Icon it shows is a standard disk drive. When I...
  10. Low disk space message for Backup disk.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Low disk space message for Backup disk.: Hi, I get a notification every 10 minutes or so saying "Low Disk Space - You are running out of disk space on backup disk" In the backup settings, I told it to delete files whenever it needs space, yet I'm still getting this annoying message. A) Is my backup running as it...